ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

absences and citizenship.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

seepreston
Newly Registered

absences and citizenship.

Post by seepreston » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:01 pm

Help,

I'd rather do application for Citizenship myself and save the lawyers fees… but if i have to i will.

I have had ILR,permanent residence,since 2006,so 8 years now,first entered Uk on work permits 2000.. i know i am in need of maximum discretion in terms of absences. I travel extensively for work,in last five years i have been absent 827 days. Though a little over two months were to look after My grandfather in his last days(new zealand), and in the last year,around two months looking after my partner ( studying in sweden),she suffered a vestibular migraine,very rare, virtually paralysed her for ten days,she needed help for a while. but all other travel is work related, in fact i still worked from sweden. I have letters to say i travel for work(fashion industry).I am at times gone for a couple of months,but saying that can be back and forth regularly- in other words erratic travel.
I see with a residence permit of 8 years i can have discretion for +730 days, and in fact though rare,can be over 900, if all other requirements are fulfilled. I have always declared earnings in UK, and had continual home here, this is home. But this last year has been excessive travel,close to 300 days…
I wonder if i am pushing it to apply,should i use a lawyer,i'd prefer not to economically.

Many thanks.

milan69
Diamond Member

Re: absences and citizenship.

Post by milan69 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:19 pm

Are you working for UK based company?
I am sometimes wrong.

seepreston
Newly Registered

Post by seepreston » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:44 am

Hello,
Yes i work through a Uk based company,it has affiliates in many countries, and nature of work means i often must spend time away. Actually i said i'd looked after my partner for around two months in last year, it was more like 3-4 months.

seepreston
Newly Registered

Post by seepreston » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:04 pm

Just to state my length of stay clearly… I entered U.K 2000 on work permits, obtained ILR 2006, so 14 years legally in total.. 8 on ILR.

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:19 pm

I believe it makes quite a differences if your absences were due to business nature while working for a British based company.
I am sometimes wrong.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:05 pm

With 300 absences in the last year, you are pushing it IMHO.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

seepreston
Newly Registered

Post by seepreston » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:10 pm

If i waited till end of march,my absences of last year would be 269,with about 70 of those to look after my partner who is studying in sweden( is it compassionate leave if she needs assistance after temporary paralysis, and should not be alone in case of recurrence?).
14 years working for same company, almost all absences are work related, very rarely have i taken holidays,except to add a few days on to trips every now and then.

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:32 pm

As I said, it makes a big difference if your absences were related to work for UK based company but as jambo said 300 days in one year is very much. I am afraid I can not give you a precise answer.
I am sometimes wrong.

seepreston
Newly Registered

Post by seepreston » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:03 pm

No worries, thanks for the replies,i am going to try talking with National checking service.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:22 pm

Page 7 and 8 of the AN Booklet gives a good idea of what they might and might not disregard. You would need documentary evidence if you choose to apply with the high level of absence you have, particularly in the last 12 months.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... let_an.pdf
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

seepreston
Newly Registered

Post by seepreston » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:32 pm

What is considered documentary evidence?
Letter from employer?

seepreston
Newly Registered

Post by seepreston » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:32 pm

Thank cr001,

i have read the guidebook, it's why i know i can use maximum days absence allowance with 8 years ILR…
But what is considered documentary evidence- a letter from work?