ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Ancestry Visa Extension

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Kez
Newly Registered

Ancestry Visa Extension

Post by Kez » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:54 pm

Hi all,

I'm on the old 4 year Ancestry Visa which expires 13 September. My husband is a dependent on the visa.

I called the BIA today to see if I could organise an appointment at Croydon for an extension and she said that they couldn't see me in person because my Gran's certificate is not the original - it's a Certified Copy of the Birth Certificate from the Register Office ? She said I should rather send my application in by post ?

Help ! :?

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:48 pm

Kez,
I don't understand why BIA can't see you in person, just because your Grans BC is not original.???

Three points:

Phone again for another appointment, you may get a different answer.

You can apply for a new BC on-line, which would be a original. I think it costs £10.

Next week the JR will have a hearing and if that is successful, then you will have no need to waste £500 on the extension.

Kez
Newly Registered

Post by Kez » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:08 pm

Thanks Siggi ! That's great news. I thought it strange that she refused me. I hope the JR hearing is successful - £500 is a lot of money !

eliasuk4u
Member of Standing

Post by eliasuk4u » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:43 pm

it's a Certified Copy of the Birth Certificate from the Register Office ?
All the birth, marriage or death certificates issued by the registar office in UK are certified copies anyway even though they call it as original..

Kez
Newly Registered

Post by Kez » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:12 am

I double-checked the title of the certificate and it's a "Certified Copy of an Entry of Birth" issued by the General Register Office, England. Perhaps I should pursue getting a Certified Copy of a Birth Certificate although the above-mentioned certificate was sufficient when I initially applied for my visa in SA.

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:10 am

Kez,
I really do think that you pick the wrong officer the day you phoned for your appointment.
Just phone the BIA again and make the appointment don't mention the fact that the BC is a certified copy.
I assume you got this copy from the registers office and that it is not a photo stat copy which is certified.

Finally once you get your appointment, generally I have found Croydon's case officers very friendly and sympathetic, towards Ancestral visa holders.
I have been down there twice once for my daughter visa, who was born here and early this year for the extension rip off.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:38 am

Siggi wrote:Kez,
I really do think that you pick the wrong officer the day you phoned for your appointment.
Just phone the BIA again and make the appointment don't mention the fact that the BC is a certified copy.
I assume you got this copy from the registers office and that it is not a photo stat copy which is certified.
All the certificates issued by the Register Office are certified copies since the original stays in the office. I think the confusion has arisen because the term "certified copy" is usually used to refer to a copy (generally a photocopy) of an original document that has been certified by someone such as a solicitor or notary (e.g. a copy of a passport or a copy of a title deed, etc). What wouldn't be acceptable here is a photocopy of the certificate that was issued by the Register Office.

I agree that I would ring up make an appointment. If asked about the certificate on the phone, say it is the certificate issued by the Register Office.

Kez
Newly Registered

Post by Kez » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:34 pm

Thanks to everyone who responded especially Siggi - you've put my mind at rest. I've been up and down the internet and all you can get is a Certified copy which is what I have from the General Register Office. I'll try again in the morning and see if I get a more "logical" answer. I was amazed though at the difference in fees people are charging for birth certificates - I've gone from £50 to £7. There are some poor souls out there being ripped off big time.

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:37 am

Kez
Please let us know how it all go's, but it will be fine I'm sure.
Re: fees ,welcome to ripp off Britain!

Kez
Newly Registered

Post by Kez » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:21 pm

We're booked in ! 3 August and ... my aunt found my Gran's original BC and has sent it via Fedex so ... looks like it'll be ok after all (if it arrives on Monday). Pity about the JR ... I was hoping we wouldn't have to take a £600 hit on the bank account ! Ouch ! :x

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:50 pm

Yes the hit of £500 I think is what I paid in Jan is a rough one, but it become's more expensive one year on at £950 for ILR.
When you made your appointment did they mention the BC bit again?Either way now that you have an original don't worry, just look after it! as you will need it again.

Kez
Newly Registered

Post by Kez » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:52 am

Hubby made the appointment and didn't mention BC :wink: I got the original this morning and it has been put in a VERY SAFE place !

£950 for ILR - I'd better start saving for that one too then :roll:

Kez
Newly Registered

Post by Kez » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:15 am

Application successful ! I also confirmed whilst I was there that a Certified copy from an issuing office is perfectly acceptable !
The whole experience was very good - extremely polite staff and very efficient.

Appointment was 10am but they let us in at 9:30, airport style check, through the initial doc check, payment and interview by 10:30. Told us to come back at 12:00 and passports were waiting for us.

And ... best of all ... visa extended for another 5 years ! :lol:

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:27 am

Kez, that's good news. :)

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:32 am

Glad it's all sorted for you.

I was born in the UK, and my birth certificate says "Certified Copy" - they ALL do! The original stays with the Registrar.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:45 am

Kez,
Well done, now start saving for next year ILR £950 premium service!
Regards,
Siggi

Kez
Newly Registered

Post by Kez » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:30 am

Thanks everyone ! Just had a look at the SET(0) forms and guidance notes - GULP !

My hubby's passport also expires in June next year, 2 month's shy of our lovely new five years rule - so we'll have to get his LLR transferred into a new passport - the costs are stacking up ...

New passport is around £20
Transfer cost is £600 ! :shock:
and then the LLR - £950
Oh ... and the test at £34 each

At just over £1,600, guess we'll be having a rather small chicken for Christmas this year :(

Still, it's a journey that'll bring us closer to that little purple book :D

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:43 am

Transfer cost is £600 !
Not sure at all where you get your figure from, but "only" £160 by post!

But indeed, why bother? Why not just carry both the old expired passport with its visa, and the new one.

Why bother? One reason might be that you need to apply for say a Schengen visa, and for that the visa will need to be in the valid passport.
John

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:24 am

Kez,
John is right you don't need to transfere your visa, just keep your old passport handy together with your new one.
Word of warning new SA passport can take up to four months to arrive.
So make your appointment asap with the London SA Consulate, stand in the queue, pay your money and do your fingerprints.
Have fun, it is painful!

Kez
Newly Registered

Post by Kez » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:06 pm

Thanks guys ! Looks like we can get some gravy with that chicken !

Will keep you posted as to how I get along on this journey. I know similar posts have been helpful for me and there just may be some poor soul out there with the same problem or question. :wink: