ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Continuity of residence

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

fmdddv
Mood:
France

Continuity of residence

Post by fmdddv » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:21 pm

Hello,

I'm a EEA national and I have been residing in the UK for 20 years since being a child. My 2 children were also born here and through my automatic PR, they are both british nationals. It was never my intention to naturalize as a british citizen (mainly due to the costs involved), however since my husband is non EEA, we are now contemplating this route and I will start by applying for EEA3. My husband is due to apply for EEA4 this year as it would be 5 years since our marriage but his resident permit is valid until 2016. He has been out of the UK for over 6 months due to work commitment abroad and is not due back for another 3 months. I stayed here with our children.
According to the legislation, you are entitled to be away up to 6 months in total in any year or one 12 months absence for important reasons. Could I kindly get some advise on the following questions?

Does the legislation refers to calendar years or from the start of the first absence?
How would this absence affect (if at all) his application for EEA4?
Also, would a motoring offense affect his application?
Having lived here most of my life (only being absent for holidays out of the country) and having only worked reduced hours in the last 5 years (some periods of no work at all) due to mostly looking after my children, what are my chances of being granted PR?

Many thanks beforehand.

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Re: Continuity of residence

Post by askmeplz82 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:59 pm

UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021

kristine015

Post by kristine015 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:15 pm

If he is looking to apply for British citizenship after getting PR if he gets it, I will tell you now he will get denied for the citizenship due to motor conviction unless the conviction has been spent.

I have gone through same experience. Tried to apply for BC in 2010 only to be denied due to my driving conviction. I hired solicitor and it didn't help. No appeal given either.

My conviction was driving with no insurance but was out of my control step father cancelled it without my knowledge. The judge gave me a slap in the wrist in court knowing the situation was difficult and wasn't entirely my fault (1week driving ban) . This was explained to the HO however they still insisted that its still a conviction and under rules a person must have good character and have not broken any UK laws. To them I have because it is written and in the system it is a conviction even though it wasn't my fault.

The conviction needs to be spent 5 years. I was convicted 2009 for no insurance, so to spend the five years means in September 2014 my conviction will be spent. Won't be gone to the system but will be spent lol.

fmdddv
Mood:
France

Post by fmdddv » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:23 pm

Thank you to you both.