ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Unmarried Partners Visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

asaxyd
Newly Registered

Unmarried Partners Visa

Post by asaxyd » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:39 pm

Hiya,

I was wondering if anyone can give me more information about obtaining an unmarried partners visa. Here is the situation:

I've been in UK for almost 6 years, last three on a student visa. Student visa is due to expire end of November this year.

I will be living with my British-born boyfriend for 2 years in October this year.

This is the problem: we are both quite independent and we don't have joint accounts apart from the gym membership :D

The bills we have are all in my boyfriends name as I didn't bother putting my name on it (I'm a musician so I'm a bit forgetful)

We do have:

- our own separate bank statements,

- same optician (is this considered an offical letter?),

- same dentist,

- my UK drivers license has our address on it (however his doesn't, it has his old address from ages ago)

- my mobile phone bills have our address on them

- I am on his motor insurance policy

- we have joint gym membership

Is this going to be enough to convince them that we are really together? If not, what else can we give them to support our application?

Thanks

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:09 pm

why doesn't he update his driving licence? There is a legal obligation to inform the DVLA of a new address, leaving aside the immigration aspect.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

asaxyd
Newly Registered

Post by asaxyd » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:39 pm

I know, I know, I keep tellin him, but he keeps sayin that he's gonna do it. The problem is he works a lot (he works in the City), so he's never around when the post office is opened...

asaxyd
Newly Registered

Post by asaxyd » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:41 pm

I suppose he'll have to do it soon though, his driving license must be due for renewal soon, since he's been at this address for 10 years or so...

Besides, I know loads of people that went off to Uni to another city, but kept their parents addresses on their driving licences.

HE is not the problem, cos he's British - and the reason for posting this is so I can get some answers to my original question: are the documents we have enough?

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:31 am

They should be, yes. It's a good idea to get as much as you can, though, so the driving licence would help!

British driving licences don't expire for ages - mine is valid from 1994 (when i was 17) until 2047! I don't need to renew it until then unless I move.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

douces

Post by douces » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:31 am

try and open a saving account in joint names before october