ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport - Baby born in India

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

cofe

British Passport - Baby born in India

Post by cofe » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:24 pm

Hi,

Me and my husband both are currently in the process of applying for our british citizenship, post which we were thinking of getting our OCI done.

I am planning to go to India for the delivery of my child. In this case, will my baby born in india be eligible for British passport? or because we have OCI, will the baby be considered as Indian citizen?

Will applying for PIO be better?

Please advise.

Thanks,

vinny

Re: British Passport - Baby born in India

Post by vinny » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:07 pm

Once the child's parents become British, then they are no longer Indian. If neither of the child's parents are Indian, then the child cannot be Indian.

If a parent is British otherwise than by descent when child is born, then child will be British and may apply for a British passport.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

cofe

Re: British Passport - Baby born in India

Post by cofe » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:50 am

Thanks for the reply.