ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long to get set up in the UK?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Platinum

How long to get set up in the UK?

Post by Platinum » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:50 pm

I'm American, married to a British citizen. We're living in Ireland right now, but have been looking at moving to the UK.

I've been looking for jobs in the UK, and in interviews and such, have told prospective employers that, as the spouse of a UK citizen, I will not need a work permit. I've also told them that, if offered a position, I will need a month to move my household over and settle in before being able to start work.

We have not started the process for either a spouse visa or an EEA family permit yet. I figured I would wait until I got offered a position first.

My question is: is a month realistic? Even if I have to fly back to the US for a spouse visa, this should not take more than a week, should it?

Those of you who are in the UK on a spouse visa or an EEA family permit, how long did it take for you to get all the paperwork sorted out? Getting a bank account, a tax number, etc.? Also, if you're on an EEA family permit, you have to apply for residency before you can start work, yes? Did that take long?

Thanks for any help!

thsths
United Kingdom

Re: How long to get set up in the UK?

Post by thsths » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:25 pm

Platinum wrote:I'm American, married to a British citizen. We're living in Ireland right now, but have been looking at moving to the UK.Those of you who are in the UK on a spouse visa or an EEA family permit, how long did it take for you to get all the paperwork sorted out?
I heard that Ireland has quite some issues with the European immigration law. Do you have a residence card? If so, it should only take about a week or two to get an appointment where the British Consulate will issue your EEA family permit.

The next big issue is finding accommodation. This is reasonably fast in the UK, I would allow 2 weeks for that.
Getting a bank account, a tax number, etc.? Also, if you're on an EEA family permit, you have to apply for residency before you can start work, yes? Did that take long?
No, none of these need to be done before you start working. You only need the bank account when you get paid (usually at the end of the month). But you do need a utility bill or a bank statement at your new address to open a bank account!

The residency card is only really necessary for traveling, not for employment. It is a good idea to apply soon anyway, because waiting times can be 6 months or more.

You will need to get a national insurrance number. You can do that at your local jobcenter. You need an appointment, your passport and your contract. I don't think you need the NI number when you start to work, but you have to do this soon. Your tax number is then applied for by your employer.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:05 am

If you have an EEA family permit, then your employer will be satisfied that you have a right to work in the UK. Later you can apply for a Residence Card.

Getting a bank account in the UK is always the slow bit and sometimes difficult. You can sometimes speed it up with a letter from your employer. Also, consider first opening just a savings account (to get paid into) and then later a more full-featured bank account.