ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moving from England to the USA

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

gilgr097
Newly Registered

Other option

Post by gilgr097 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:44 pm

I have just read about your situation and certainly feel for you. I have been dragged over the coals trying to get immigration sorted in the US and finally have just received approval for my H1B so looks like the I'm in the clear now.

If you are not able to get anything sorted for the US, why not travel to a third country together and live and work for a year? I am a New Zealander and know that both US and UK citizens can get a 1 year work permit for NZ, you will have no constraints as to what fields you can work in. I have worked with a couple of Americans in banks in nz and they said that they got it through an organisation called bunac.

Check it out

adriantesta
Newly Registered

Post by adriantesta » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:20 pm

Thanks a lot for your advice, and congratulations on your H1B approval :)

The only problem is that Erica is still studying for her masters at the moment, and has about 1 1/2 years left. We are planning to do some travelling after that is finished, but would like to get a place together for the remainder of her studies.

We have both been chatting lately, seriously considering the marriage route. Both our parents completely understand, which is very good, and as Marco explained, it seems like one of the only options.

I have been doing quite a bit of reading into it today, and from what I understand, Erica must first apply for a K1 Fiance Visa for me, which can take around 6 months to be approved. Once it is approved, I have 6 months to move over to the US. Once in the US, we have 90 days in which to get married. And once married, I must apply for an Adjustment of Status, and apply for authorization to work.

That all sounds fine, but the bit which concerns me is applying for authorization to work. I have read that this can take around 3 months to be granted - meaning that although I would be in the US, with Erica, and very very happy :wink: , I would be out of work for potentially 3 months, maybe a little more :shock:

I would really appreciate it if someone could verify that I have understood the procedure correctly, and if so, advise on any other possible routes whereby I wouldn't have to worry about being out of work for so long :?:

reneee_87
Newly Registered

Post by reneee_87 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:57 pm

Hello,

My boyfriend and I are in the exact same position as you. Hopefully our experience can help you better yours...

I am american, he is british. We met over a year ago and couldnt bear to be apart. For about 8 months we flew back and forth every few months... and then that started getting a little ridculous, esp. money and time wise. So, we decided to move in together and he supported me for a while. I had trouble trying to enter the country again, and was almost deported. So i decided it was time for a VISA. We explored all of our options (Unfortunately, the USA is the hardest country to get into, if you're not a citizen) And, the only option we could really take was to get married. It was the easiest thing we could do.

The fastest way to get a VISA was to go down to the UK embassy in New York City. We applied in person and had it issused that very same day. It allows for multiple entries, and once it's issused you have 6 months to get married- but you are not allowed to work until you do so. We found it WAY easier to marry in the UK, and do everything from here, instead of from the US. Our wedding is this saturday- and once we marry, I can go down to the Home office in Croydon and upgrade my fiance visa to a permanent UK visa- which entitles me to work and such on THAT very same day.. There's no months and months of waiting.
We're applying for the Green card the day we get married, since we're going to have a long wait ahead (3-6 months is what we were told). We have plans of moving to the USA by Jan. So now we're just saving up as many £'s as possible (since the exchange rate is great) and waiting for the greencard....then we'll make the big move. (There's also websites that offer greencard in a week or so.. but youre paying alot of money and such for the services. here's an example- www.visapro.com. )

I have to admit, I wouldn't of liked to of been married so young (Im only 19, and him 25) But we really had no other option if we wanted to be together. Now we're happily always in each others company, and working slowly but surely to reaching our goal of living in the USA together. You and your girlfriend seem much better off since she's almost done with school and same with yourself.. I've only just started my BA and my fiance is training to be a commercial airline pilot. We live stressful lives and this system is not helping our situation one bit...

Oh well, hoped this info helped you.

reneee_87
Newly Registered

Post by reneee_87 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:01 pm

I was also going to mention about going to New Zealand living together out there for a while.. I know someone who did that. This way tthey didnt have to marry right away. It's a great option, if you're both willing to move that far away...

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:57 pm

reneee_87 wrote:Hello,
Our wedding is this saturday- and once we marry, I can go down to the Home office in Croydon and upgrade my fiance visa to a permanent UK visa- which entitles me to work and such on THAT very same day.. There's no months and months of waiting..
Well you don't get a permanent visa, you get 2-year spouse visa, which does indeed have an expiry date. So careful not to assume it lasts forever!

Good luck with the wedding!

adriantesta
Newly Registered

Post by adriantesta » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:33 pm

Hey Reneee. Thanks for sharing your advice and situation, it is always nice to read about routes that others have taken. Myself and Erica have now worked out our whole situation, and decided on the path that we want to take.

We are going to get married in the states, and are submitting our application for a fiance visa within the next week. I just sent all my bits to her on Saturday, so she is just waiting for those to arrive.

It's not a problem for us that the visa is going to take at least 6 months to be issued, because I need to work here in the UK for a while, to pay off some debts and save a bit of cash for when I go over there - as I will not be able to work for the first 3 months or so in the US (while I wait for my Employment Authorization Document).

Once I get my EAD and Social Security Number I will look for a job over there, and work until Erica finishes her masters, of which she has about 18 months left. Then we hope to go traveling for a while together, for which I will need to apply for parole, as I will still be waiting on my adjustment of status to permanent US resident, which can take years!

We are both really really looking forward to getting married, as we are just crazy about each other :D , and everything feels so perfect when we are together. Ok I will stop there, don't want to get too soppy! haha :lol:

jes2jes

Post by jes2jes » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:53 am

adriantesta wrote: We are going to get married in the states, and are submitting our application
for a fiance visa
within the next week. I just sent all my bits to her on Saturday, so she is just waiting for those to arrive.
You do not apply for a fiance visa after marriage mate! You go for a spousal visa so be careful you fill the application right.

Congratulations anyway :lol:
Praise The Lord!!!!

adriantesta
Newly Registered

Post by adriantesta » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:05 pm

Yeah sorry, I made it sound like we were getting married before filing for the fiance visa :!:

I am currently in the UK, and Erica is in the US. We are sending the fiance visa application hopefuly within the next couple of days, and once I have that (6 months or so I guess), I will move over there and we will get married :)

:D Can't wait :!: :D