ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MY MOTHER IS BRITISH PASSPORT HOLDER, CAN I GET ILR

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

murphy uk
Newly Registered

MY MOTHER IS BRITISH PASSPORT HOLDER, CAN I GET ILR

Post by murphy uk » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:10 pm

Certain people born between 1961 and 1983 to mothers who were citizens of the United Kingdom and Colonies at the time of the birth may be eligible for Registration as a British citizen.

People in these circumstances should contact their nearest British Consulate or the Home Office.

HI i got this from a website
my mother has a british passport, born in mombasa in kenya, during british rule. but she moved to india and still living over there, but her passport expired in aug 1978.
i am in uk at present on student visa. i wes bor in 1972.
am i eligible for registration as a british citizen.

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:27 pm

Murphy uk,
OK you have one half of the trick, the second half is that the mother must be born in the UK.
So to make it very clear all childern born outside the UK between 1961 and 1983 of a British born Mother are entitled to register as British citizen's

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:32 pm

Murphy uk,
One other point if you have a grand parent, who is British born you would be entitled to a Ancestral visa, which may be better for you, as you have more freedom in terms of working un restricted in the UK.
This is grant for Five years after which you apply for ILR and a year later you can apply for naturalisation.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:30 pm

Your mother may have a British passport but that does mean she is a British citizen.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:38 pm

Dawie,
That is exactly my point the Mother must be British born!

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:03 pm

Dawie wrote:Your mother may have a British passport but that does mean she is a British citizen.
Yeah sorry, i meant does NOT mean...
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:02 pm

Siggi wrote:Murphy uk,
OK you have one half of the trick, the second half is that the mother must be born in the UK.
In fact the "second half" is that the applicant would have acquired a UK right of abode (if he or she had been a UK & Colonies citizen prior to 1983). This generally means:

- a parent or grandparent born or naturalised in the UK, Channel Islands and Isle of Man; or
- 5 years residence in the UK, Channel Islands and Isle of Man with grant of permanent residence before 1983; or
- if a woman, marriage to a man with right of abode

murphy uk
Newly Registered

Post by murphy uk » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:10 pm

my mother's father came to uk in 1970's and setteled here and he is still living in uk.
does this help in any way :roll: :roll:

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:13 pm

From the sounds of it the OP's mother does not have any connection to the UK whatsover expect for the fact that she was born in a country that used to be a British colony.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:27 pm

Dawie wrote:From the sounds of it the OP's mother does not have any connection to the UK whatsover expect for the fact that she was born in a country that used to be a British colony.
If she retained her CUKC on Kenyan independence (likely if she came back to India) and has never become an Indian citizen, then the mother is likely eligible for British citizenship under section 4B of the 1981 Act.

However, that will not help the original poster.

murphy uk
Newly Registered

Post by murphy uk » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:09 am

no my mother never become indian citizeship.
will this help in any way.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:56 am

murphy uk wrote:no my mother never become indian citizeship.
It may help her get British citizenship but it won't help you.

Your mother may be interested in seeing if she is eligible to become a British citizen:
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/applyi ... w=Standard

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Post by thirdwave » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:33 pm

murphy uk wrote:no my mother never become indian citizeship.
Murphy, Its quite possible that your mother's stay in India is illegal. Just in case you have not realised, India does deport around 10,000 illegal aliens every year, most of them from Bangladesh & Pakistan but also includes a sizeable number of Western nationals.I suggest you get on that phone to your mother...