ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

VC firm funding route

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system. This route is now closed to new applicants.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

VentureCapital Route

VC firm funding route

Post by VentureCapital Route » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:07 pm

My cousin wants to come to UK as Entrepreneur but does not have £200K. Has anyone applied through VC firm route where only £50K is required? Will really appreciate your guidance.

Separately, my brother is already in the UK as a student (with a good University) and the only way he can stay in the UK after his studies is either to get a job or if he can get £50K funding from a VC firm for his business. Job situation for engineers is not looking good so I am keen to explore VC route for him.

Has anyone had any experience of dealing with any of these VC firms? Where are they? Who do they fund?

Thanks

VentureCapital Route

Re: VC firm funding route

Post by VentureCapital Route » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:32 pm

I already searched on Gumtree etc and there are consultants who claim to have helped secure VC funding. I want to make sure that any VC firm must be listed on Financial Conduct Authority's register of firms which is available online to anyone.
I am not interested in paying fees to cosultants unless they put me in touch with a genuine VC firm.

mohammed1980

Post by mohammed1980 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:22 am

VentureCapital Route wrote:I already searched on Gumtree etc and there are consultants who claim to have helped secure VC funding. I want to make sure that any VC firm must be listed on Financial Conduct Authority's register of firms which is available online to anyone.
I am not interested in paying fees to cosultants unless they put me in touch with a genuine VC firm.
You think the gumtree people deal with genuine VC firms ? Thats a joke. :lol:

Do you know how a VC firm functions ? A VC firm pools funds from their registered investors. Its not a bank. Why would a genuine VC firm risk its money on someone they dont know especially a student ?

The people who advertise on gumtree, please ask them to show testimonies of their clients and ask them to show the visa their clients have got. They will not be able to show even one.

BlackBirdSSG
Member of Standing

Post by BlackBirdSSG » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:11 am

One doesn't get visa only by showing VC funding. If you are showing VC funding, you must make sure that you should get 75 points (which are required in Tier 1 Entrepreneur) for your application. I don't think any VC would be giving you visa guarantees as any visa guarantee is a lie. Eventually, it's the candidate itself who has to make sure he has secured 75 points (funding), 10 points (english proficiency) and 10 points (maintenance money). Plus, if you are switching from student to VC, the chance for getting interview is highly likely. 245(HH) immigration clause will also test candidate's genuineness therefore you must meet all the requirements of being genuine as well.

Moreover, any firm showing you visas of other people without THAT person's consent is a breach of data confidentiality law. Visas have personal information of a person and must only be used if given permission by that person itself. Getting visa from abroad via VC route is not simple. How are you going to establish a link between Uk based VC firm and that person who is already outside the UK?

VentureCapital Route

Post by VentureCapital Route » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:22 am

Thanks. As I mentioned I am already a UK national (came on work permit many years ago) and looking for alternatives for my brother and cousin. So I can create the link with the VC firm in UK.

I recently spoke to a friend in London who works in banking and he promised to find some genuine VC firms in London who may be willing to consider supporting the visa applications. I told him that I am happy to provide guarantees to the VC firm to cover their risk e.g. personal guarantee on my house etc as is normal for a personal or business loan. If I were to borrow and show funding as a 3rd party funding I will need to show £200,000 but if I could get a VC firm to invest based on my guarantee, I only need £50,000!! this is a huge advantage and I am keen to avail this.

I will update you guys if my friend could find a genuine VC firm interested in such funding. I am still hopeful :)

mohammed1980

Post by mohammed1980 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:47 am

VentureCapital Route wrote:Thanks. As I mentioned I am already a UK national (came on work permit many years ago) and looking for alternatives for my brother and cousin. So I can create the link with the VC firm in UK.

I recently spoke to a friend in London who works in banking and he promised to find some genuine VC firms in London who may be willing to consider supporting the visa applications. I told him that I am happy to provide guarantees to the VC firm to cover their risk e.g. personal guarantee on my house etc as is normal for a personal or business loan. If I were to borrow and show funding as a 3rd party funding I will need to show £200,000 but if I could get a VC firm to invest based on my guarantee, I only need £50,000!! this is a huge advantage and I am keen to avail this.

I will update you guys if my friend could find a genuine VC firm interested in such funding. I am still hopeful :)
Dear friend , you are simply displaying your ignorance through your posts.

A VC firm does not require your house as guarantee. Why? Because the UKBA does not require the VC firm to invest in your business but only a letter from them stating 50,000 is accessible to your business. Please read the guidance properly before asking questions.

For a VC firm to give such a letter, they must convinced that your business is worth investing in as by law they are entitled to claim a 30-40% share in your business. A genuine VC firm will ask you to provide a business plan in detail and give a presentation before their investors.

Somebody who gives you a letter on the basis of "your guarantee" is a bogus person. Again as I wrote ask those gumtree people to give your references of those who have got visa through VC firms, meet those successful people and get their advice.

Lastly, its your decision.