ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Work in Germany

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Corndog
Newly Registered

Work in Germany

Post by Corndog » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:40 pm

Hi, does anyone know how difficult it is to find work once I'm in Germany, particularly Berlin? I mean anything, such as bar work, just enough to get by. I speak some German and would pick it up again very quickly once I'm out there.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Work in Germany

Post by Wanderer » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:51 pm

Corndog wrote:Hi, does anyone know how difficult it is to find work once I'm in Germany, particularly Berlin? I mean anything, such as bar work, just enough to get by. I speak some German and would pick it up again very quickly once I'm out there.
I'd think u'd need pretty good German to work in the service industry to be honest.

Why not try some kind of job needing English, but even that would be difficult without decent German.

Having said that, hang out where the ex-pats hang out and you might get lucky.

Berlin is a great city, I love it there, accomodation is cheap and transport is chicken-on. Lots of shadows of the past, history on every corner...

Corndog
Newly Registered

Post by Corndog » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:59 pm

I was even thinking of something behind the scenes until I improve my German. I'm just thinking that a lot of foreignours come to the UK without much English and manage to get a job and wander if this is similar in Germany. My mother is German and it is actually my first language, however have not spoken much for a few years.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:19 pm

Corndog wrote:I was even thinking of something behind the scenes until I improve my German. I'm just thinking that a lot of foreignours come to the UK without much English and manage to get a job and wander if this is similar in Germany. My mother is German and it is actually my first language, however have not spoken much for a few years.
Go and try it mate, It's only 150 quid or so return to Berlin via Jet2 from Manchester, one room flat is 200 Euro a month Kalt. so with a grand or so in your pocket you could survive for 3/4 months until ur conversational German improves and get a job.

Corndog
Newly Registered

Post by Corndog » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:24 pm

Thanks for the advice. I think am just going to go and do it. Do you have any ideas of where to look for rooms? Or is it just best to google it?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:41 pm

Corndog wrote:Thanks for the advice. I think am just going to go and do it. Do you have any ideas of where to look for rooms? Or is it just best to google it?
http://immobilien.immobilienscout24.de/ ... rlin/2.htm

http://berlin.craigslist.org/apa/

And don't forget you still need to register in Germany with the authorities, everyone has to, even locals!

Corndog
Newly Registered

Post by Corndog » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:03 pm

Wanderer wrote:
Corndog wrote:I was even thinking of something behind the scenes until I improve my German. I'm just thinking that a lot of foreignours come to the UK without much English and manage to get a job and wander if this is similar in Germany. My mother is German and it is actually my first language, however have not spoken much for a few years.
Go and try it mate, It's only 150 quid or so return to Berlin via Jet2 from Manchester, one room flat is 200 Euro a month Kalt. so with a grand or so in your pocket you could survive for 3/4 months until ur conversational German improves and get a job.
When you say Kalt after the price, whta do you mean? I have seen Warm after a price too.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:21 pm

Corndog wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
When you say Kalt after the price, whta do you mean? I have seen Warm after a price too.
Kaltmiete is the 'cold' rent - ie no electricity/heat/water bills included. Warmmiete is the rent plus the normal monthly bills, heating/water/telephone etc, ie all-inclusive....

Also called 'Nebenkosten'

Watch out for Kaution too, two or three months rent as security deposit which u'll get back assuming you don't wreck the place!

Praetorian
Newly Registered

Post by Praetorian » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:58 am

Those links are very helpfull by the way. I'm from the U.S. so I'm not sure how the German immigration/ work permit/ apartment rules differ from you U.K. guys. Looking for the donation of any and all helpfull info...

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:59 am

Praetorian wrote:Those links are very helpfull by the way. I'm from the U.S. so I'm not sure how the German immigration/ work permit/ apartment rules differ from you U.K. guys. Looking for the donation of any and all helpfull info...
Biggest difference is we don't need a work permit to go or any permit or visa at all. The EU is much like the US now - a Union of States and free movement.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:16 am

Praetorian wrote:Those links are very helpfull by the way. I'm from the U.S. so I'm not sure how the German immigration/ work permit/ apartment rules differ from you U.K. guys. Looking for the donation of any and all helpfull info...
A good place to start would be here, on the website of the German Embassy in Washington DC. US citizens (together with those from the EU/EEA, Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, and Switzerland) can apply for the required residence permit for work purposes after entering Germany without a visa. (Citizens of other countries must apply for and obtain a visa for work purposes before entry - and this is an option also open to the non-visa, non-EU/EEA people as well). The German Embassy is in Washington DC, and there are consulates in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New Yor, and San Francisco.

But none of that suggests how easy it would be to find work, of course, nor how easy it is for non-skilled non-EU/EEA workers to get the actual permit: to get an idea of these things you'd probably do well to talk to people who have tried it. Someone may be along here...

And indeed: the embassy website makes it all sound delightfully simple, and it probably is in principle, but other threads on these boards suggest that German bureaucracy can be something else again...

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:26 am

Christophe wrote:....but other threads on these boards suggest that German bureaucracy can be something else again...
All the ones started by me!!

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:25 pm

Wanderer wrote:
Christophe wrote:....but other threads on these boards suggest that German bureaucracy can be something else again...
Well, you do sound as if you're speaking from experience!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:03 pm

Christophe wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
Well, you do sound as if you're speaking from experience!
Experience by proxy really, it's my non-EU partner who actually had to endure it first hand. She speaks excellent German which I why I know it's so important. Otherwise she'd still be sat at home with me, which we'd actually prefer, but it's important for her studies...

And now her German is almost perfect after 9 minths in Germany, to my ear at least.