ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

what do you make of this? is amnesty coming up?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

klimov
Newly Registered

what do you make of this? is amnesty coming up?

Post by klimov » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:01 am

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: what do you make of this? is amnesty coming up?

Post by Wanderer » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:22 am

It's rubbish mate.

What will happen when/if the UK economy hits a downturn? To many people on benefits too any people claming their rights, it will happen.

I'm, 45, I've lived here when it was seriously shit, three day working week, power cuts, no rubbish colection, ambulances on strike...

Not saying it will happen again, but it might....

Amnesty is wrong, look at Belgium a few years back, gave amnesty for 300k people, next year 600k or so claiming amnesty...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

JAJ
Australia

Re: what do you make of this? is amnesty coming up?

Post by JAJ » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:40 am

Wanderer wrote:Amnesty is wrong, look at Belgium a few years back, gave amnesty for 300k people, next year 600k or so claiming amnesty...
Not only that but all the persons getting so-called "amnesty" then wanting to bring wives, children and other relatives to the United Kingdom.

There are already enough concessions in the law to deal with long term overstayers. As far as the rest are concerned, if it takes 25 years to deport them all then so be it.

Advocates of a so-called "amensty" must be really interested in seeing just how far they can push public tolerance. Where is the point at which significant numbers will start voting for extremist parties offering supposedly simpler solutions? And as someone else notes, an economic recession coupled with an "amnesty" might bring that day a lot closer.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:54 am

No, an amnesty isn't coming up - at least nothing has been mentioned, so for now, there are no plans.

And, to be honest - even if there was, I think they would only allow a temporary stay, rather than allow people to earn ILR afterwards. I mean, they would not likely give you a 5-year visa to lead up to ILR. It'll probably be like other amnesties so far - one or two years, then you will have to fit the bill for other visas. This might even be moreso if they have the tiered system they plan to introduce starting 2008.

And - JAJ is partly right (IMHO) - if you are a legal resident then you can bring your husband/wife/partner, young kids, if your assumption is that you might (finally) be given permanent residency at some point.

I'd like to say...it is really hard to find a 'balanced' approach to these types of topics. IPPR is really lefty/liberal, and, just as we berate Migrationwatch for having a one-track mind, IPPR also have an agenda - they are not 'impartial' either and, if you know their past works, this is why they are calling for a 'general' amnesty. Their numbers may add up and look nice (£1bn), but I'd like to know where they get their figures from and of the cost-benefits analysis (long-term situation, since, clearly, an amnesty is a short-term solution to a long-term problem)

Honestly, after the initial £1bn, what then? Do they ever calculate the costs of their dependents? Although Migrationwatch's arguments about housing is wrong (i.e. no migrants can claim public funds), they do, however, relate to if or when such migrants are possibly given ILR, then they are more likely (than, say, a skilled migrant on a WP or HSMP) to use housing benefits or other such things. Not all (of course they are not that dumb), but some, and that is a problem that could be avoided by not giving an amnesty.

It depends, really, on when/whether the new tier system comes into place and they need to 'purge' themselves of all the problems from the old system. And, of course, on whether the people want an amnesty. The Conservatives, and even the Liberal Democrats (!) don't think that is the solution to an already sticky problem.

The recession (where?!) is a very good point.

I think...at some point, maybe an amnesty giving them, say, a 2 year visa, then they need to meet the requirements of either a WP or HSMP (or student visa, etc), and if not, then leave? (But would they leave?) That might help the skilled, but, I dunno, only a suggestion...

Yeah this topic always attracts the regulars!

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:13 am

Whatever your feelings on an amnesty, you cannot dispute the fact that it will be impossible to deport every single one of the over 500 000 illegal immigrants in the UK. The Home Office itself estimates (according to that BBC report) that it would take 30 years to deport every single illegal immigrant not to mention the hundreds of millions of pounds it would cost.

My personal belief is that the very concept of immigration control is becoming very dated. Eventually the UK and other western countries are going to start spending so much money on immigration control that the cost is going to vastly outweigh the benefit (not that there is any benefit in immigration control, in my opinion). Demographics, fertility problems, aging populations, etc will eventually be the final nail in the coffin for immigration control, which, let's face it, is nothing more than legalised beloved.

In any case, the topic comes up for discussion every few weeks or so on this forum and we (the regular contributers) always put forward to same arguments for or against an amnesty. So let's agree to disagree.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:04 pm

Dawie wrote:In any case, the topic comes up for discussion every few weeks or so on this forum and we (the regular contributers) always put forward to same arguments for or against an amnesty. So let's agree to disagree.
I agree. I know, this topic comes up all the time, but it is because it comes up all the time in some media circuits!

But - the choices are not simply deport them all or let them (all) stay. It is also possible to just leave them as they are, turn a blind eye, etc, and, if after 14 years they can apply, then so be it. That choice seems to be what most countries do with overstayers, maybe to avoid the problem, maybe because it is not a problem, as long as they stay low and don't commit a crime.

klimov
Newly Registered

more info

Post by klimov » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:56 pm