ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

joint uk citizenship application - spouse 3 years resident

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mbj2929
Newly Registered

joint uk citizenship application - spouse 3 years resident

Post by mbj2929 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:55 pm

Can we submit joint uk citizenship application when my spouse has only 3 years residence (including 1 yr on ILR) in UK?

I have 6 years residence time including 1 year on ILR. My wife has 3 years residence including one year ILR. I understand that my wife will be eligible to apply once I become citizen but we don't want to wait that long. We want to apply together now.

If I attach a cover letting requesting the case worker to consider my application first and then my wife's, will it help? I don't want to loose money in case they reject her application as I am not uk citizen at time of application.

Do you know any similar cases in mind that have been successful in the past?

vinny

Re: joint uk citizenship application - spouse 3 years reside

Post by vinny » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:02 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

mbj2929
Newly Registered

Post by mbj2929 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:55 am

How can I know they accepted to process our joint application. Will they deduct money for joint application anyway? Could it happen the deduct fee and still reject my wife application as I was not uk citizen at time of joint application. Please help I am applying next week.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:53 am

First thing they do is to take the fee. A caseworker examines the application at a later stage.
If you have a few £££ to donate to the HO, then try. I would advice you apply first and your wife once you attend the ceremony (its just £200 and a few months difference).
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

robby92011
Newly Registered

Post by robby92011 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:51 am

Here's the reply I got ..posting for others who are looking for this answer from UKBA....

Reply: NAT 541 - RE: FAQ POLICY Clarification on how 'spouse application' is treated when making a 'joint application' for naturalisation as citizen POLICY ATTENTION

Nationality Policy Team - Liverpool <NationalityPolicyTeam.Liverpool@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk>
Jul 31 (3 days ago)

Dear Sir,

A person applying under s. 6(2) must be married to a British citizen on the date of application, therefore the main applicant would need to have applied and been granted citizenship under 6(1) for s. 6(2) to apply.

I trust this is helpful.

Regards

Ann

Ann Woodall | Nationality Operational Policy| Operational Policy & Rules Unit|Immigration and Border Policy Directorate | Home Office

Blue Zone, 5th Floor, The Capital | Liverpool | L39PP

IndiMarshall
Member of Standing

Post by IndiMarshall » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:34 am

robby92011 wrote:Here's the reply I got ..posting for others who are looking for this answer from UKBA....

Reply: NAT 541 - RE: FAQ POLICY Clarification on how 'spouse application' is treated when making a 'joint application' for naturalisation as citizen POLICY ATTENTION

Nationality Policy Team - Liverpool <NationalityPolicyTeam.Liverpool@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk>
Jul 31 (3 days ago)

Dear Sir,

A person applying under s. 6(2) must be married to a British citizen on the date of application, therefore the main applicant would need to have applied and been granted citizenship under 6(1) for s. 6(2) to apply.

I trust this is helpful.

Regards

Ann

Ann Woodall | Nationality Operational Policy| Operational Policy & Rules Unit|Immigration and Border Policy Directorate | Home Office

Blue Zone, 5th Floor, The Capital | Liverpool | L39PP

This means she has to wait till the husband gets citizenship isnt it.. ?

I am in similar position as wel... some of my frnds suggested.. even ur wife could have applied along with you and you lost your time. now I dont feel regretful if what I understood is correct.
Last edited by IndiMarshall on Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:58 am

btw - the discount on joint application fee doesn't exit anymore - joint application and two separate single applications will cost same amount of money.