ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HSMP/EC Question

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

begster999
Newly Registered

HSMP/EC Question

Post by begster999 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:55 pm

I could not find an answer to this question:

What if my HSMP application is approved, but I don't have a job when I go for the EC interview? (I was laid off last month, a few days after submitting my HSMP application.)

How would this impact my getting a visa? Any and all comments, experiences, suggestions are very much appreciated!!!

Bob

jpfranco
Newly Registered

Post by jpfranco » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:26 am

Hi Bob,

I am just a new member, but to my knowledge, what you have to show in order to get the EC is enough funds to support yourself for the 4-5 months required to find a job. Additionally, you have to show that you have the skills required to find a job (employability).

So, I don't know when do you plan to travel to the UK? But I assume the Embassy is going to require proof of funds to support you (and your dependants if you have them) in your country till the time of travel, and then 4-5 additional months in the UK.

Maybe a Senior Member could better sustain what I am saying.

I am in the same boat. I lost my job 3 months ago, and for the EC I am going to provide proof that I have enough resources to support myself and my family for the following 6 months or more. I'm planning to travel in August and my family should join me on early December.

Unless your current employer transfers you to the UK, or gives you a paid leave (very unlikely), there is no way that you can keep your local job while looking for a job in the UK. So, I don't think the Embassy can require you to have a local job to approve your EC.

Well, that is my point of view.

Juan
Quito, Ecuador

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:52 am

I agree with Juan.

regards,

push_hsmp

begster999
Newly Registered

Post by begster999 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:59 pm

Hi Juan -

Thanks very much for your input! Even though what you have said makes logical sense and I was hoping for a similar response, in form IM2A (Revised 12/01) for Application for United Kingdom entry clearance, questions 29 through 32 are about your present job. They are:
#29. What is your present job?
#30. What date did you start this job?
#31. What is your annual income?
#32. Where do you work (name, address and telephone number)?

How would/did you answer these questions if you are not currently employed?

Another thing that bothers me is the subjective decision an EC officer can make by assuming if this person was laid off or lost his/her job, s/he may not be "employable" in the UK. Maybe I'm being overly concerned, but I do not want to leave anything to EC officer's interpretation.

What do you or others think?

push_hsmp, thanks for your concurrence to what Juan said!

Bob

jpfranco
Newly Registered

Post by jpfranco » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:09 pm

Bob,

First, I have a doubt regarding the EC application form:
in form IM2A (Revised 12/01) for Application for United Kingdom entry clearance
To my knowledge, the form required for EC is VAF1 (Review October 2006).

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Fron ... 68127#Q11

Then you have to remember that the same form is also used for Tourist Visa applications, so the questions are general. If you want to go to the UK for tourism, and you don't have a local job you are going to be immediately rejected.

However, for the HSMP EC, you have a work permit for the UK. You don't need a local job.

I read somewhere in this Forum the same question you have. Somebody suggested just filling in your last employer and stating very clearly that you don't work anymore for this employer, and the date when you quit or were laid off.

Juan
Quito, Ecuador

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:22 pm

Juan & Bob,

The FLR form is to be used if you are apllying from within UK (and obviously are eligible to switch to HSMP VISA category from your current VISA category). The VAF form are used for Entry Clearance (when you apply from your country of residence)

regards,

push_hsmp

jpfranco
Newly Registered

Post by jpfranco » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:48 pm

Hi push_hsmp, you have a very good point. I was assuming that Bob was outside the UK.

If he is in the UK, the answer would be completely different.

Bob where are you?

Juan
Quito, Ecuador

begster999
Newly Registered

Post by begster999 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:12 pm

Hi Juan and push_hsmp,

I think you are both correct. I was probably looking at the wrong visa application form. BTW, I'm in the US.

Juan, thanks for the URL!

Bob

apeterso925

Post by apeterso925 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:36 pm

begster999 wrote:Hi Juan and push_hsmp,

I think you are both correct. I was probably looking at the wrong visa application form. BTW, I'm in the US.

Juan, thanks for the URL!

Bob
I received approval from the NY consulate last week...I bet you did the same thing I did and chose the work permit visa in the online system? It seems counterintuitive to me, but you actually need to choose "permit free employment" and the HSMP becomes an option in the next menu.

You don't need a job for EC and further, I doubt you'll be called on for an interview. It seems those of us in the states are lucky and have a much easier EC process than other countries.

Amy

jpfranco
Newly Registered

Post by jpfranco » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:19 am

You're welcome Bob.

Good luck with your application. I'm going to apply next week... so hopefuly everything will go OK.

Juan
Quito, Ecuador

begster999
Newly Registered

Post by begster999 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:03 pm

Juan, Good luck with your application!

Amy, congratulations on your approval! Did you use the visa application available at the website Juan gave out? Also, can you tell me the steps you had to go through and the necessary documentation you submitted to the NY consulate for your EC? That would be very helpful to me since I'll also be going through the NY consulate.

If you like, you can also e-mail me your response at begster2000@yahoo.com.

Bob

begster999
Newly Registered

Post by begster999 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:11 pm

Amy,
I meant to indicate the form name/number. Did you use the Non-Settlement application form VAF1 for your visa and EC?
Thanks!
Bob

apeterso925

Post by apeterso925 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:26 pm

begster999 wrote:Amy,
I meant to indicate the form name/number. Did you use the Non-Settlement application form VAF1 for your visa and EC?
Thanks!
Bob
Here's what my hooray post, with the details of what I submitted, etc.

http://immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=16941

Amy

begster999
Newly Registered

Post by begster999 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:57 pm

Thank you for the information, Amy!!
Bob

begster999
Newly Registered

Post by begster999 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:07 pm

Amy,

I feel bad asking you this, but can you tell me/us how much liquid funds you had in the bank when you applied for the EC? It'll help me prepare my application better as I really have no idea what amount is considered "good and/or sufficient."

Thanks very much!!!

Bob

apeterso925

Post by apeterso925 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:22 pm

I feel bad asking you this, but can you tell me/us how much liquid funds you had in the bank when you applied for the EC? It'll help me prepare my application better as I really have no idea what amount is considered "good and/or sufficient."

Thanks very much!!!

Bob
Well, I'd rather not say exactly how much, given that the whole world can read this board :D But I've seen others quote 3500 GBP as enough...that seems barebones low to me for London living, but I bet with flatsharing, etc, it could be done.

I was able to show quite a bit more than that (simply due to a recent inheritance, not any work on my part!), but I also created a somewhat comfortable budget that I submitted with my application. So, I would gather that anything more than 5000 GBP is more than sufficient, especially if you can show that you plan to budget wisely.

Amy

begster999
Newly Registered

Post by begster999 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:42 pm

apeterso925 wrote:

Thanks very much!!!

Bob
Well, I'd rather not say exactly how much, given that the whole world can read this board :D But I've seen others quote 3500 GBP as enough...that seems barebones low to me for London living, but I bet with flatsharing, etc, it could be done.

I was able to show quite a bit more than that (simply due to a recent inheritance, not any work on my part!), but I also created a somewhat comfortable budget that I submitted with my application. So, I would gather that anything more than 5000 GBP is more than sufficient, especially if you can show that you plan to budget wisely.

Amy
Amy,
Thank you for the information, both about average funds and creating a budget! I would've never thought of creating a budget. Great point to remember!
Bob

apeterso925

Post by apeterso925 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:52 pm

begster999 wrote:
apeterso925 wrote:

Thanks very much!!!

Bob

Amy
Amy,
Thank you for the information, both about average funds and creating a budget! I would've never thought of creating a budget. Great point to remember!
Bob
Thank ball1333, she was the one who suggested the budget to me :)