ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Stats of EU members in Ireland with non EEA spouse.

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Confuzzled
Newly Registered

Post by Confuzzled » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:04 pm

yeeeeah... The UK doesn't sound like a fun place to live :roll:

Well, the Ireland thing might be permanently, it depends honestly if we like it better than Canada. Reason we not going straight to Canada is because I'm still a student and he will be able to earn much better than me, plus Canada requires proof that I will be able to support us both... and as a student... well :( ..... and if Ireland isn't to our liking, we will be able to apply for his PR for Canada from Ireland, and the processing time is more than a year shorter than from SA.

So if I can't work for say the first 6months its not going to be terrible, because I have studying to do in any event... him not being able to work is a killer...

Question tho.. this stamp four thing, can you apply straight for that instead of the family residency thing? and how long does the whole process take?

Yes I like Ireland :oops: ... we exhaust all possible options before admitting defeat and going to another country

Sahil

Post by Sahil » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:16 pm

stmani wrote:EVERBODY!!!!!!!!!!! i have a good news.....

I spoke to solvit crowed, they saying DoJ are in process of changing decision letters following the court rulling........and will issue new letters shortly!!!!!!

looks like everybody will get a positive letter this time!!
Guys.... i dont know if any one else has any news on that but i have contacted SOLVIT and Immigartion council and asked them if DOJ are providing stamp 4 for 2 years to them who are denied with the reason that they are not resided in another member state. Both Organisations said:

-that they haven't heard any thing like this.
-that DOJ is still demanding the residancy in another Member State.
-that i should appeal to DOJ on my refusal.
-that there are few more cases appreaing in High Court in October.
-that i should hire an immigration Solicitor to file my case.

If anyone has any new information regarding this stmp 4 for 2 years, please share.

Kind Regards,

Sahil

limey

Post by limey » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:17 pm

Confuzzled: Sincerest apologies, I forgot that the young always know better.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:32 pm

Confuzzled wrote:yeeeeah... The UK doesn't sound like a fun place to live :roll:
It can be, believe me. It depends on all the circumstances, of course, the same as anywhere else...

checo
Newly Registered

Post by checo » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:15 pm

SAHIL,

I have got email from Solvit today:

The Irish SOLVIT Centre understands that the Kumar court case is to be appealed to the Supreme Court, which can take up to two years for a decision. However, we believe that the Department of Justice may put something in place for some people effected by the court case but until we receive this information officially from the Department of Justice we cannot comment further.

We have asked the Department of Justice to clarify this and inform us of the criteria. As soon as we receive this information I will be in t

Confuzzled
Newly Registered

Post by Confuzzled » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:01 pm

limey wrote:Confuzzled: Sincerest apologies, I forgot that the young always know better.
oh for $#&^%**

I am pissed of with forum ppl always taking everything so bloody personally... I am here looking for information, as much as possible... a simple, "give up go to UK" doesn't do it for me. I want to know I have explored every friggen angle possible... I want to know the WHY and HOW and ALL the options available... HELL this is my LIFE I'm talking about here.

I am sorry to have wasted your precious time with my youthful know it all attitude... yes, because I definately stated I know everything... no where was I asking for advice.

Platinum

Post by Platinum » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:44 pm

I am pissed of with forum ppl always taking everything so bloody personally...
Hahaha! I'm not the only one who sees a certain irony there?

Confuzzled, I have to admit I was also a little put off when you simply dismissed the whole UK with an eye-roll and a personal conviction that it's "not a fun place to live". However, I just sighed and ignored it and got on with my life. I rather thought limey was more diplomatic in his response than I would have been. Your reply just now was priceless, however, so I thought I'd write and let you know.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:55 pm

Confuzzled wrote: Question tho.. this stamp four thing, can you apply straight for that instead of the family residency thing? and how long does the whole process take?
I don't think you can do that,unless you are married to an Irish citizen or have a work permit.Check the previous threads.

Confuzzled
Newly Registered

Post by Confuzzled » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 pm

Thanks Archigabe, I'll give the Irish Embassy here in SA a call tomorrow and ask them about all of this. Reading other posts has told me they aren't always the most clued up, but hopefully having researched first, I'll be able to get decent answers from them. Mostly reading stuff gives me more questions about procedures than answers...

And no disrespect to the UK, I choose not to want to reside in SA, its personal preference... And seen as how the rest of you are going through with the process to remain in Ireland... anyway, I'm not here to argue about nonsense..

Thanks to those who answered my questions

limey

Post by limey » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:45 pm

Confuzzled: Hey, chill out there Dude! 8)

If Ireland is the place you want to be long-term then you can apply for an EEA Family Permit. But you will either be refused unless you have lived together in another EU country. Or be given 2 years leave to remain whilst certain pending court cases are decided. As I said earlier, read this post and other posts on this forum.

But as you said previously, "Well, if we like it in Ireland then we might stay". Then I would suggest that if you are not totally committed for a fight to stay in Ireland then you would be much better off trying another EU country offering easier entry.

I must say you have a rather casual approach to going and living in another country which may not be appreciated by some. It is a great privilige to be allowed to live in and gain citizenship of another country. Not something to be treated so lightly! :(

Confuzzled
Newly Registered

Post by Confuzzled » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:04 pm

limey wrote:It is a great privilige to be allowed to live in and gain citizenship of another country. Not something to be treated so lightly! :(
Muwahahaha!! Let me give you a picture:

1998 - family applies to immigrate to Canada
2000 - denied on a stupid technicality, an area where we needed one point and recieved 0

2003 - re-apply for immigration to Canada
2 Aug 2007 - Interview with Canadian embassy, if they like us, we get medical papers, from medical papers to PR visa takes 3months...

My casual approach can be likened to the murders that occur daily in my country of residence, you hear about one and maybe reply with a "oh thats sad" ... You become numb to the shock because it happens all the time...

So yeah, I'm void of emotion when it comes to this stuff... so sorry if I come across as ungrateful.

And yes I like Ireland and am really keen on giving it a shot... but if it doesn't work out, there are other options available... this is called realism, I know from experience not to get over excited, because things have a way of going wrong...

Besides, I got the curly hair and am going to be adding Acton to the end of my name, I'll fit right in :wink:

BigAppleWoodenShoe

Post by BigAppleWoodenShoe » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:55 pm

@ Confuzzled.

It's not that it is easier in GB to get a workpermit or residency, it is just that nobody knows what the hell is going on in Ireland. Since I've been here with my wife 7 months ago, I haven't got a straight answer out of any govt official. They just sent us in circles. I just can't give you an answer on your situation, so I would suggest going with another country not because it is easier or harder, but just because you'll know what you're getting yourself into.

It's the confuzzion that's getting to us here, not the waiting.
Dutch husband, American wife, applied for a residence card, after 7 months got a Stamp 4 visa for two years. :)

Confuzzled
Newly Registered

Post by Confuzzled » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:26 pm

ShoeApple: Thanks, Ireland is deff first choice at the mo, have a coupla months here still, going to Canada for a bit and will only be in Europe early next year...

Hopefully by then they are somewhat further along in the process. If not, there are other options, but I don't want to resort to them just yet. Will be following what's going on here rather closely...

BigAppleWoodenShoe

Post by BigAppleWoodenShoe » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:16 am

If your spouse is from Germany, you might want to try Germany first, live their for at least 6 months, and move to Ireland under EU1 regulation.

This sounds like a detour, but in the end you might end up with an Irish workpermit just as fast, and be able to work and enjoy social services in Germany in the meantime. Although I am not up to date on the German rules.
Dutch husband, American wife, applied for a residence card, after 7 months got a Stamp 4 visa for two years. :)

Confuzzled
Newly Registered

Post by Confuzzled » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:54 am

He's not from Germany. Both of us were born and bred in SA, he is just lucky enough to have a German mother pass on the citizenship.

While this doesn't seem like a bad idea(he has family in Germany we could stay with), there is a problem with the language.

While he can speak German, its not fluent as he hasn't had the opportunity to use the language in the last few years. I on the other hand, can mumble a few words and phrases. None of which will get me very far. We are however, in the process of improving this.

If I suddenly become a linguistic master tho, something like this could work.... :mrgreen:

Confuzzled
Newly Registered

Post by Confuzzled » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:47 am

Just spoke to the Irish Embassy here, the verdict is all of you probably have other problems...

The important thing, the lady says, is to aquire a spouse visa here and register within 7 days of landing in Ireland...

Wonder if the Irish Govt knows this... :roll:

Oh yeah, was told to visit this site: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:00 am

That's a Joke! I arrived here on a E.U spouse visa and applied within a week at the Dept.of Justice. There's atleast 1000 couples stuck here because of condition of prior European Residency.
Check here for the Irish interpretation of the E.U law.
Irish law S.I 656 of the European Free Movement Regulations 2006

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/SI656of2 ... of2006.pdf
Last edited by archigabe on Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Confuzzled
Newly Registered

Post by Confuzzled » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:24 pm

(2) These Regulations shall not apply to a family member unless the family member is lawfully
resident in another Member State and is.....

Begs the question... what are they trying to achieve and why forget to mention it to the Irish Embassy's around the world?

Well, I'll sit here on the sidelines and watch the progress... if its still like this begining of next year... Northern Ireland will just have to be it.... sigh...

BigAppleWoodenShoe

Post by BigAppleWoodenShoe » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:11 pm

The reason why they haven't told anybody, is because they don't want anybody to know. I believe because it is against EU guidelines.

Most of us heard the same story from our embassies, it was supposed to be as easy as eating cheesecake. We even called the Irish Govt up until Jan of 07, and they still insisted it was going to be easy. Only when we were here, the rules were changed.

It is important that you tell your embassy and point them to the following directive: Michael McDowell under directive S.I. No. 656 of 2006
here http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/SI656of2 ... of2006.pdf

limey

Post by limey » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:02 pm

Confizzled: If safety is a concern, it might surprise you to learn that Northern Ireland was recently found to have the lowest murder rate in the Western world. Strange, but true!
Last edited by limey on Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:14 pm

Confuzzled, from my experience Northern Ireland isn't really all that different than the Republic of Ireland. Nice people, pretty scenery, and the cost of living is a bit cheaper :D

Confuzzled
Newly Registered

Post by Confuzzled » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:40 pm

Wiki wrote:Crime is a major problem in South Africa. According to a survey for the period 1998-2000 compiled by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, South Africa was ranked second for assault and murder (by all means) per capita, in addition to being ranked second for rape and first for rapes per capita.[1] Total crime per capita is 10th out of the 60 countries in the dataset. Other data rank South Africa second in the world for murders per capita and first for assaults and rapes.[2] Note that these statistics only compare statistics from approximately 60 countries (typically better-developed countries) and many of the remaining countries of the world will have higher rates of violent crime - though these are usually unmeasured, disputed or uncomparable. The UN statistics also contain some flaws (e.g. gun crime in South Africa[3]).
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_m ... per-capita

I read something shocking like that. Less people died there in the 30 years of "troubles" than in SA in a year. Hey, anywhere is better than where I am now :lol:

And it is rather green and pretty yes :P

BigAppleWoodenShoe

Post by BigAppleWoodenShoe » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:04 pm

On the other hand:
The cancer mortality is higher in Ireland compared to continental Europe and the US.
Suicide rate is a lot higher than western Europe and is showing an upward trend.
The Irish govt acknowledges that they do not have a sustainable health care system. (It's a big mess, a kid had to wait 4 years to get braces, huge waiting list, the water issue in Galway was noticed way too late.)
The vehicular associated deaths is through the roof.
I have never lived in a country in which there is so much puking and alcohol abuse. I just don't understand why I see so many drunk old men floating in their own vomit on a sunday afternoon.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:19 pm

BigAppleWoodenShoe wrote:I have never lived in a country in which there is so much puking and alcohol abuse. I just don't understand why I see so many drunk old men floating in their own vomit on a sunday afternoon.
Amen to that! saturday and sunday mornings are a disaster zone in the city center.Apart from Alcoholism(this is the home of the Guinness after all!), and the high cost of food, things are pretty good.Certain parts of dublin are to be avoided sometimes because of drug trade related violence.

petereliot1
Newly Registered

eu 1 stats

Post by petereliot1 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:33 am

EU-Country of worker: German

Non-EEA country of spouse: India

Date of application for residence card for spouse: May 2007

Approved, Denied, or Pending (if approved/denied, supply date):Pending...