ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Name Change Before Applying for a 'First time' passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ravikd

Name Change Before Applying for a 'First time' passport

Post by ravikd » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:58 pm

Hello Guys,

I have got my citizenship approval letter from home office. Now I am planning to apply for my first British passport. However, I have a query regarding my name change. Currently my passport has my forename given as 'XXXX YYYY' and no surname. What I would like my new British passport to have is - Given name ' XXXX YYYY' and surname as 'ZZZZ'. To add the surname bit, what is the most authentic and quickest way. I have an affadavit stating that XXXX YYYY and XXXX YYYY ZZZZ are the same person but this document was formed in my home country.

Your advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

arvindsankaran
Newly Registered

Re: Name Change Before Applying for a 'First time' passport

Post by arvindsankaran » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:14 am

Hi RaviKD,

Sorry for digging out an old post.

Can you kindly advise if you managed to change your name and how did you do it please?

I am in a similar position where I wish to change my below old name to the new one as follows:

Current name in Indian Passport:
Given Names - XXX YYY
Surname - (blank)

New name expected on British Naturalization certificate and British Passport:
Given Names - XXX YYY
Surname - ZZZ

I have my British Naturalization NCS appointment for the end of this month and was wondering if a Deed Poll alone would be sufficient to be provided with my application and if NCS would accept the same.

I would be grateful if you could kindly advise on the above at the earliest possible please.

Thanks in advance.

ravikd

Post by ravikd » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:24 am

You need to make an application for British citizenship. Once approved, do your ceremony. After that, go for a deed poll to change your name. When you apply for British passport, you need to fill your new name (as shown on deed poll) and old name( as on your passport) and all done. It shouldn't be sent with your initial application via NCS as when you apply for the citizenship, you are not British citizen, you become the same after attending the ceremony.

arvindsankaran
Newly Registered

Post by arvindsankaran » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:31 am

Many thanks RaviKD for your lightning quick response. I will follow your advice and apply for my name change along with my British Citizenship application.

Thanks a ton once again for clarifying my query.

Kind regards...