ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can i be arrested marrying an EEA citizen at UK marriagcourt

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

The man
Newly Registered

Can i be arrested marrying an EEA citizen at UK marriagcourt

Post by The man » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:56 pm

I am a citizen of Non EEA, i want to marry a citizen of EEA living here in UK, but i am confused whether to marry here in UK marriage court or do proxy marriage from my home country because i have over stay and at present am living together here with my EEA partner.

Pls. can someone advice me which is preferable having in mind that my legal status is not good at present.

SouthWest1

Re: Can i be arrested marrying an EEA citizen at UK marriagc

Post by SouthWest1 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:07 pm

The man wrote:I am a citizen of Non EEA, i want to marry a citizen of EEA living here in UK, but i am confused whether to marry here in UK marriage court or do proxy marriage from my home country because i have over stay and at present am living together here with my EEA partner.

Pls. can someone advice me which is preferable having in mind that my legal status is not good at present.
to get married in a register office, the following will happen:
1- you and your bride to be will need to book an appointment to give notice of marriage. In the interview, you both will asked separately ( both of you will be sitting together and will be told to speak separately.groom first then the bride) to confirm some details ( name, address, DOB ...etc of yours and her and intended venue of marriage...etc)
2- the registrar will take your documents and will check and photocopy. He/She will not refuse your notice unless some documents are missing or your answers are all over the place.
3- if registrar suspects that relationship is not genuine, he/she will inform UKBA.
4- notice of marriage will be issued (valid for 12 months by the way) and then you both will decide on the date of ceremony.
5- on the date, UKBA enforcement team will attend and will take both parties separately to ask questions.
6- if they are satisfied that relationship is genuine and marriage is not a sham, they will leave without taking any enforcement action against you.

which way you prefer is up to you. if you have nothing to worry about, then Register Office is your best bet.
you can search the net for " what happens when giving notice of marriage" and you will see real comments from people who went through it.

BTW, how long have you been living together? if more than 2 years, you might be well eligible for residency under unmarried couple

gagsgahra
- thin ice -

Post by gagsgahra » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:21 pm

If the immigration comes to your marriage they won't let this marriage happen because they will arrest you and deport you being an overstayer....then you have to marry her in ur own country and applied from there but they need solid prove that the relationship is genuine and she is execering treaty rights in uk..its a risk

Zimsparta

Post by Zimsparta » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:44 pm

Its better you stay with her for two years and then submit an application with evidence e.g. joint bills for being in a dual relationship.
Everything else is a big risk, depending on the mood of your case worker

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:49 pm

Zimsparta wrote:Its better you stay with her for two years and then submit an application with evidence e.g. joint bills for being in a dual relationship.
This thread is more than 2 years old. Please don't dig up old threads, it clutters the 'current' threads on the forum.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:08 pm

CR001 wrote:
Zimsparta wrote:Its better you stay with her for two years and then submit an application with evidence e.g. joint bills for being in a dual relationship.
This thread is more than 2 years old. Please don't dig up old threads, it clutters the 'current' threads on the forum.
Also the rules have changed regarding notification of marriage for foreign nationals.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.