ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Approval Letter with wrong council address

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

adnanmirza

Approval Letter with wrong council address

Post by adnanmirza » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:36 pm

Hi guys
I receive my approval letter for British citizenship today. The letter says contact the local council to book ceremony. I used to live in Norwich but now live in Trafford. I also applied for the naturalisation process via Trafford council. However the approval letter is asking me to contact the Norwich registrar office instead of Trafford for the ceremony.

I do not live in Norwich anymore. Can I attend the ceremony in Trafford registrar office instead of going all the way to Norwich. I m puzzled why home office wants me to contact Norwich registrar instead of Trafford registrar.

Please suggest what to do. Ideally I want to attend the ceremony in Trafford registrar

johnj1

Re: Approval Letter with wrong council address

Post by johnj1 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:13 pm

The best bet is to contact Norwich Council, you can change the venue of the ceremony to your preferred one, but you will first contact the Home Office to change the venue, then Norwich Council will send your Naturalization Certificate back to them, they will now send it to your new preferred venue, which I believe will take long time, well the choice is yours, good luck.

adnanmirza

Post by adnanmirza » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:41 pm

Hi
Is there any specific number where I can call Home Office. Also any ideas on how much time it can take to change the ceremony from Norwich to Trafford?

Still it's weird how HO can make such mistake. Application made via NCS Trafford. Got approval letter on my home trafford address but the council address is Norwich

johnj1

Post by johnj1 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:20 pm

My friend, I am talking to you from experience, it will be nice to sacrifice a day to attend the citizenship ceremony at Norwich, because your citizenship certificate is already there. The same thing happens to me, when I changed the venue to my new borough. The certificate took 3 weeks to get to my borough, if I had known, it will take me only 2 hours to attend the ceremony and collect my certificate. Take the pain and attend the ceremony at Norwich.

phospholipid

Post by phospholipid » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:21 pm

adnanmirza wrote:Hi
Is there any specific number where I can call Home Office. Also any ideas on how much time it can take to change the ceremony from Norwich to Trafford?

Still it's weird how HO can make such mistake. Application made via NCS Trafford. Got approval letter on my home trafford address but the council address is Norwich
to be honest, I would just have the ceremony at the Norwich council. You never know what may go wrong, probably nothing, but I imagine that the wait will be quite a while. Book the ceremony, travel up to Norwich and just get it done and get your certificate.

adnanmirza

Post by adnanmirza » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:06 pm

Thank you for your suggestions. Actually I have young child so it is hassle to travel 5hrs one way. Can you please share how did you manage to change the ceremony council. Did you talk to the councils directly or spoke to Home office..

Please also share the home office contact number

phospholipid

Post by phospholipid » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:21 pm

adnanmirza wrote:Thank you for your suggestions. Actually I have young child so it is hassle to travel 5hrs one way. Can you please share how did you manage to change the ceremony council. Did you talk to the councils directly or spoke to Home office..

Try the number 03001232241

mmf
Newly Registered

Post by mmf » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:50 pm

adnanmirza wrote:Thank you for your suggestions. Actually I have young child so it is hassle to travel 5hrs one way. Can you please share how did you manage to change the ceremony council. Did you talk to the councils directly or spoke to Home office..

Hi Adnan,

I was wondering if you were able to change and is it worth it. I am in a similar situation as yours and I have never lived in Surrey :D

Best wishes
M

adnanmirza

Post by adnanmirza » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:07 pm

Hi guys
Some updates. I called Norwich registrar office to check whether my certificate is with them or not. Also explained my situation. They said they will call me back. Then I got a call from Norwich registrar office. He said he spoke to Home office and they admitted their mistake. So the Norwich registrar office sent back my certificate to Home Office via special delivery.

He said now wait for another approval letter from home office with correct local authority.