ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Children of British Citizen born in US

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

FredMorse
Newly Registered

Children of British Citizen born in US

Post by FredMorse » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:04 pm

I am British by birth, and I used to live there.
My children are US citizens,but since I'm British, they are British citizens too.

We live in the US and are moving to the UK.
Can I just apply for British passports for my children and move there, sorting visas out later?

Thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Children of British Citizen born in US

Post by CR001 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:31 pm

If they are British by descent (through you) and apply for British passports before travelling, they don't need any visas.

If you have a partner who is a US citizen, they need to apply for a settlement visa before travelling to the UK. You cannot switch to spouse visa within the UK as a visitor.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

FredMorse
Newly Registered

Post by FredMorse » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:24 pm

CR001 wrote:If they are British by descent (through you) and apply for British passports before travelling, they don't need any visas.

If you have a partner who is a US citizen, they need to apply for a settlement visa before travelling to the UK. You cannot switch to spouse visa within the UK as a visitor.
Thanks so much!

Does the fact that I became a US Citizen mean that my children are ineligible to become British citizens by getting their passports?

I am so grateful for your answer - it has cleared up something that has been troubling me for a long while!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:57 pm

You have two posts in different sections of the forum. It is best to stick to one as it becomes confusing for members with duplicate posts.

Your questions have been answered in your post under family immigration.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.