ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

visitor visa and student visa

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

samiraz
Newly Registered

visitor visa and student visa

Post by samiraz » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:47 am

I am applying for a Masters soon to commence on October. Currently I am out of UK and my previous visa has expired. I know that you dont get more than one month's tier 4 before the start of tier 4. I wanted to ask can I get a 6 months visitor visa and get a tier 4 student visa. Come to uk in august for eg or july and then continue my residency on tier 4 after that.

a- Can they issue a tier 4 if i have a valid visitor visa or will they cancel the visitor visa and then give tier 4 ?

b- Can I come as a visitor and then stay here on tier 4 without leaving UK or will I have to leave UK and come back on the tier 4 ?

c- How soon can i apply for my tier 4 if my course starts on 1st Oct ?

Thank you.

shaq1

Re: visitor visa and student visa

Post by shaq1 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:20 am

You can't switch from visitor visa (unless you are coming as a student visitor to study English) to tier 4 visa inside UK. You have to go back to your home country and apply from there. You can apply three months before your course start date.

samiraz
Newly Registered

Post by samiraz » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:31 pm

No I mean can i apply for tier 4 in my country an apply for visitors. come on visitors visa while already having a tier 4

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:36 pm

Why do you want a visit visa?

You may find it difficult to convince the ECO that you are a genuine visitor if you have a tier 4 visa due to start shortly afterwards. If the visit visa were issued you would need to leave the uk and then re-enter using your tier 4 visa in order to activate it.

For information not that it is relevant to your post but the previous poster's assertion that it is possible to switch from student visitor to tier 4 is completely incorrect.

shaq1

Post by shaq1 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:27 am

Thanks Greenie for correcting me.

samiraz
Newly Registered

Post by samiraz » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:29 pm

Thank you..

After obtaining the tier 4 can i apply for a visitor visa ?
Will immigration allow me to enter the country as a general visitor if they see I have a tier 4 visa, I will have a return ticket booked when coming for visitor. I will go back to my country and come to uk on tier 4 after my visit on visitor

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:44 pm

what's the purpose and duration of your visit?

samiraz
Newly Registered

Post by samiraz » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:49 pm

visiting my friend. I have a few trips planned with her for the summer.

Duration is 2-3 weeks

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:02 pm

you can try but they might query why you need to visit if you are due to start a Master's shortly afterwards. It also depends on your previous immigration history.