ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can you trust the Embassy?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Confuzzled
Newly Registered

Can you trust the Embassy?

Post by Confuzzled » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:54 pm

My fiance phoned up the British embassy in SA today to check up on a few things.. didn't get very far.

After mentioning that he is a german citizen, the lady on the other side of the phone insisted that he would need a job offer before entering the UK.

Now according to the EU stuff, he should be able to enter and look for a job no problem... but reading the havoc on the Irish side has got me a bit worried.

Has anyone had a problem like this or is the embassy lady just stupid?

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:01 pm

If he is a German citizen, he should not need a job offer prior to coming to the UK.

"Can I live in the United Kingdom if I am not working?

You can live in the United Kingdom as a student, as a retired person or if you are not working as long as you have enough money to support yourself during your stay without recourse to public funds."
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/applyi ... unationals
So, as long as he has a bit of savings to support himself while looking for a job, then there is no reason why he can't come to the UK. People come from other EU countries to the UK all the time without having a firm job offer.

Just an aside...the UK seems to be a lot more on the ball with their application of the EU directives than Ireland.

Confuzzled
Newly Registered

Post by Confuzzled » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:37 pm

Thats what I thought... gawd stupid embassy. I spose it would be more beneficial to go speak to them face to face....

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:37 pm

EU citizens (which includes German citizens) have the right to do pretty much whatever they want in the UK.

UK immigration officials are not even allowed to ask them what the purpose of their trip is on arrival in the UK and can only deny entry to EU citizens in the most exceptional circumstances (usually related to national security).
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:14 pm

Many people who work on the front line in consulates do not know the rules. Worrying, but true.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

Firm Believer
Newly Registered

Post by Firm Believer » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:20 pm

VictoriaS wrote:Many people who work on the front line in consulates do not know the rules. Worrying, but true.

Victoria
Absolutely spot on. Such has been my experience too.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:24 pm

Firm Believer wrote:
VictoriaS wrote:Many people who work on the front line in consulates do not know the rules. Worrying, but true.

Victoria
Absolutely spot on. Such has been my experience too.
it seems that some of them feel unable to say either "I don't know" or "I'd have to look that up". Advice in writing is likely to be more accurate, but of course hard to come by in the case of ad-hoc or preliminary enquiries.

Confuzzled
Newly Registered

Post by Confuzzled » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:31 pm

Victoria
So going to chat to them face to face is unlikely to get better results? :?
We'll stick to net surfing for answers for now then :P