ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Petition for quicker processing of applications

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

petition
Newly Registered

Petition for quicker processing of applications

Post by petition » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:11 pm

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:11 pm

This petition is completely ridiculous. I'm no fan of the Home Office, but they probably have the most effecient immigration processing system in Europe, if not the world.

In most straightforward cases applications for further leave to remain and indefinite leave to remain can be processed in a few hours if you are prepared to pay the relevant fee and go in person to the Home Office.

Naturalisation applications are usually considered within 2 weeks to 2 months (compare that to Ireland which currently takes 24 - 36 months to consider a naturalisation application) which has to be the fastest anywhere in the developed world.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:30 pm

Actually it is a bit vague, you can't be talking about all applications. I mean there was a time when they were far behind processing HSMP renewals but that worked out to my benefit so I am not complaining. if you are talking about overstayers, I have no problem how they keep them waiting. You should see how long it takes to process in other countries. I tend to agree with Dawie, I have found the UK the most efficient of them all but also the most expensive

jes2jes

Post by jes2jes » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:53 pm

[quote="SYH"]Actually it is a bit vague, you can't be talking about all applications. I mean there was a time when they were far behind processing HSMP renewals but that worked out to my benefit so I am not complaining. if you are talking about overstayers, I have no problem how they keep them waiting. You should see how long it takes to process in other countries. I tend to agree with Dawie, I have found the UK the most efficient of them all but also the most expensive[/quote]

There you have it! Efficiency costs money.

On a separate note, can you tell me what parameters you are using to judge the HO's efficiency on applications. I would be happy to know this :lol:
Praise The Lord!!!!

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:06 pm

The details about the petition reads:
On top of paying around £335 or more, on most applications, at last year's rates for a postal application, applicants are having to wait for years for decisions to be made. Between 2 - 6 years in some cases.
Most applications took over a year's time? That means that...students cannot study/travel/work, workers cannot show proof of their status, no one with a visa travelled last year, and everyone's applications was in the 'pending' tray. I highly doubt it takes 'years for decisions to be made'. As with syh, if it is for long residence/overstayers, what do we expect? Not that I think it should take 'years', but they are not priority. If it takes 6 years to make a decision...wouldn't they already be naturalised by then? :lol:

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:12 pm

The problem I have with a petition like this is that it is factually incorrect and can only serve to lessen the effectiveness of future petitions that contain genuine grievances against the Home Office.

If you are going to organise a petition at least get the facts right! Otherwise you just end up looking like a fool.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:11 pm

Some applications can take ages. I have several JRs on at the moment where the Claimant has applied for ILR following 4 years' ELR, and have waited over a year for a decision. The worst is nearly 3 years!
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

petition
Newly Registered

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO SAY YES OR NO

Post by petition » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:16 pm

Indeed most applications are dealt with fairly quickly. I have some clients who have been waiting for over 5 years.

NO APPLICATION SHOULD TAKE LONGER THAN A YEAR TO PROCESS.

Regardless of the circumstance....how long does it take to say "yes" or "no"?

joe777

Post by joe777 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:43 am

i think naturalization has a 'processing time' of around 7 months :( , and thats from their help line ..

sakura
Diamond Member

Re: HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO SAY YES OR NO

Post by sakura » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:06 pm

petition wrote:Indeed most applications are dealt with fairly quickly. I have some clients who have been waiting for over 5 years.

How long does it take to ensure that no applications are fraudulently submitted, that all documentation is correct, that they are who they say they are? Hey I don't know exactly what they check, but I do think that most people, on average, get their applications answered within a reasonable amount of time. Those who wait longer than one year are the exception, and whilst it may be right to campaign for them, I don't think you can get that much support, since people are more concerned about immigration changes (to the rules) than immigration waiting times (which many people would agree is fairly good compared to many other countries).

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Re: HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO SAY YES OR NO

Post by Marco 72 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:27 pm

petition wrote:Indeed most applications are dealt with fairly quickly. I have some clients who have been waiting for over 5 years.

How about "no application should take longer than an hour"? People would be able to hand in their application, pop out for a coffee, do some shopping, then collect their passports.

limey

Post by limey » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:41 pm

They are not so quick at processing EEA Family Permit applications!

It has been 3.5 months and I'm still waiting!

So I signed the petition.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:46 pm

limey wrote:They are not so quick at processing EEA Family Permit applications!

It has been 3.5 months and I'm still waiting!

So I signed the petition.
They can take a maximum of 6 months, according to the directive.
Plus, I can't see why you're complaining much; at least it is totally free. At least your PR isn't going to cost you £750-odd or whatever :x. I suggest you pay a visit to the Ireland forum and see what "waiting" really is! Nightmares, I hear.

Anyway, I'll stay away from this now; my prerogative is to not sign as I don't agree with the statement(s), simple.

tekaweni

Post by tekaweni » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:59 pm

I dunno, I knock them a lot but have to admit Ive found the HO to be fast and mostly efficient so I couldnt sign a petition claiming otherwise.
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten

limey

Post by limey » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:21 am

Sakura: 6 months is the maximum time they are allowed to process it. The rules state that it should be processed well before that!

Just how long does it take to put a bloody stamp in a passport?

I'm sure there are worse countries than the UK but in no way can they be described as efficient!

Just ask yourself why they drag such a straightforward application out to 6 months?

ball1333

Post by ball1333 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:02 pm

limey wrote:Just ask yourself why they drag such a straightforward application out to 6 months?
Have you read a book called The Peter Principle? It may help explain!

Hernancortes

Post by Hernancortes » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:54 pm

[b]This petition is completely ridiculous. I'm no fan of the Home Office, but they probably have the most effecient immigration processing system in Europe, if not the world. [/b]

Is that some joke, Dawie?
Have you heard of the legacy cases being dealth with by the HO?
The idea that they are efficient is ludicrous.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:23 am

Hernancortes wrote:This petition is completely ridiculous. I'm no fan of the Home Office, but they probably have the most effecient immigration processing system in Europe, if not the world.

Is that some joke, Dawie?
Have you heard of the legacy cases being dealth with by the HO?
The idea that they are efficient is ludicrous.
My criticism of the Home Office has always been policy-related, i.e. I don't agree with the immigration rules and regulations that they come up with.

However, as much as I despise their silly rules, I have to admit that they are pretty efficient at administering them. I have never had anything but good service from them.

When I first came to the UK on a work permit, they processed the application for the work permit in 4 days. When I applied for ILR 4 years later, I went to Croydon and it was processed in a few hours. When I applied for naturalisation, my application was approved in 3 weeks.

I doubt you will find any other country in the world that processes an application for permanent residence in a few hours, and an application for naturalisation in a few weeks.

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:07 am

Dawie wrote:When I applied for naturalisation, my application was approved in 3 weeks.
Mine took 5 days for approval

syk
Newly Registered

Post by syk » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:42 pm

My experience is that while the initial processing is generally done quickly i.e. £335 collection, passport, SET(o) form checks; once they realise that the case is not straightforward, they put it on a pile where it remains unprocessed. That's in my view why most overstayers' files take so long.

mwana mission
Newly Registered

Post by mwana mission » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:18 pm

I've had similar experiences like Dawie's. I recently did the naturalisation application and my only hope is that HO does not change my opinion of their processing times.