ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HELP! PEO appnt next wk & can't find divorce certs for SET M

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

gummibear
Newly Registered

HELP! PEO appnt next wk & can't find divorce certs for SET M

Post by gummibear » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:13 am

Hi. Looking for some advice as i cannot find original divorce certificates to include with Set M form.

Im a UK citizen and hubby is applying for ILR. His divorce took place abroad and we originally provided original divorce certs for spouse visa so would they really need to see it again. Surely we proved we were free to marry last time when they provided the two year visa.

Our appointment is at Solihull PEO next Wednesday and im in a panic as i thought i had everything i needed. We have a translated copy only. Can we get away with this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Apam

Re: HELP! PEO appnt next wk & can't find divorce certs for S

Post by Apam » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:59 am

A translated copy if in english may be fine, you are likely to get away with it.
However they may probably give you the option to produce the original should they have any doubts. Set m is about both of you cohabiting and can't see why they will lay so much emphasis on his previous marriage.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:11 am

You're not required to submit a divorce certificate for SET(M). However, marriage certificates are often requested at a PEO appointment.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

gummibear
Newly Registered

Post by gummibear » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:55 am

Thank you both for your replies. It's put my mind at ease. I've got the original marriage certificate and notorised translation. I'll take along the divorce cert copies anyway and hopefully that will be enough.

Thanks again for your replies.

anniecc

Post by anniecc » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:28 am

Casa wrote:You're not required to submit a divorce certificate for SET(M). However, marriage certificates are often requested at a PEO appointment.
Casa are you sure? Question 2.23 on the SET(M) form clearly requests this information.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:09 pm

I've checked the form on the new website and you're right, it does now ask for original copy of a divorce certificate. This wasn't previously requested and doesn't make much sense as the original spouse visa wouldn't have been granted without the divorce certificate. It would be interesting to hear from other members who have recently submitted a SET(M) application at a PEO with or without proof of divorce. If a copy is the only option then personally I would go with this.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:40 pm

If they've already had sight it's likely been copied and I would hope it'll be on the system so not too important. It's to prove you're not already married thus not committing bigamy, one of the things 'Ms May' is trying to 'stamp out'.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

gummibear
Newly Registered

Post by gummibear » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:57 am

Hi. Here's an update for anyone else in a similar situation.

My hubby's ILR was approved yeterday despite not having the original divorce certificate. We wrote a covering letter explaining the divorce certificate was lost. I included they've seen it before when the spouse visa was first granted and if they wanted to see it again that they give time to request again from Bangladesh. Hubby was not interviewed or asked any questions about it at all. An hour after biometrics were done we went out for a bit and within an hour got called to come back. When we got there we were told application approved and biometric card should be received within seven days. All in all including waiting time, the process took 5 hours.

P.S. I spent ages photocopying everything and then forgot to give them. When i informed security that i forgot to give them to the case worker, he said the case worker will ask for them if they needed them. They didn't ask.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:03 am

Good news! Thanks for updating us, it will be of great help to other members.
(Casa, not CR001)