ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

General Visitor Visa - Extension

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

amit.sarkar007
Newly Registered
India

General Visitor Visa - Extension

Post by amit.sarkar007 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:14 pm

Hi,

I currently have a General Visitor Visa valid till 20-Jun-2014. I have so far traveled for around 22 days out of a total of 180 days allowed. And I'm planning to travel for another 11 days before my Visa expires in June 2014. This would bring my total days to approx. 33 days out of the allowed 180 days.

Now as per the Immigration Rules Part 2 (Para 44 and Para 45) document, I can get my existing General Visitor Visa extended for an additional 6 months as long as I can show that I'm not going to exceed the total 180 days including my previous visits.

If that be the case, when is the ideal time to apply for extension. Do I need to apply for extension BEFORE my Visa expires or do I need to apply for extension anytime AFTER my Visa expires.

Since, the policy is not very clear I would need some guidance here.

The reason for my visit under this category is because my girlfriend works in the UK. And since I'm currently in the cooling-off period I can't apply in any other category. Even after the cooling-off period expires, I'm not sure if my company would be able to send me to the UK. We are planning to get married eventually but till then I want to use this Visa category to visit her.

Thanks,
Amit.

amit.sarkar007
Newly Registered
India

Re: General Visitor Visa - Extension

Post by amit.sarkar007 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:58 pm

Hi,

I did some more research and got the following info. Can anyone please confirm if this is correct.

As per this URL - https://contact-ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/ ... al/extend/
You must be in the UK to apply, and you must apply at least 4 weeks before your permission to stay in the UK ends.

As per this URL - https://www.gov.uk/general-visit-visa/extend-your-visa
You should apply before your current visa expires.
You must apply while you’re still in the UK.
£578 if you apply to extend your visa by post

And as per this URL - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... l_2014.pdf
Page 5 - LTR Other Standard – main applicant - £601 (from 6-Apr-2014)

If the above is true, then
1. I can't apply for extension of General Visitor Visa from outside UK.
2. I have to extend my Visa by paying 601 GBP instead of the usual 83 GBP which is the normal rate for applying a new General Visitor Visa.

I have only one question then,
Can I apply for a new General Visitor Visa from outside UK in my home country anytime after my existing General Visitor Visa expires?

Thanks,
Amit