ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA2 Comprehensive Sickness Insurance Usage

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

EconomistPhD
Newly Registered

EEA2 Comprehensive Sickness Insurance Usage

Post by EconomistPhD » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:46 am

Please, I have not come across an answer yet to whether someone who is required to hold CSI, is also required to make use of it, instead of NHS services.

Our situation is as following: I am an EEA national PhD student. I have been on a 2-year Master's degree before, but without CSI (only NHS registration). My wife is a non-EEA national who will accompany me. She has successfully applied for an EEA family permit using her German EHIC (which we hold at the moment, but want to cancel as soon as possible). Now she wants to apply for EEA2 once in the UK, and furthermore comply with the regulations for EEA4 such that this option remains open.

I understand that we both need to show that we are holders of CSI when she applies for EEA2, and for a future EEA4 need to have had CSI for all times I am in the UK as a student under treaty rights. On the other hand, we will be entitled to NHS treatment at the same time.

Now: is all this about holding CSI, or also about using it? The point being that, whenever in the future we may need to use medical services (GP visits, hospitalisation, surgery,...) does the HO/UKBA expect you to show (say, when applying for EEA4) that you have used your CSI instead of being treated by the NHS?

If this is just about holding a document regardless of actual use, then of course the smart thing is to get the cheapest CSI that is still acceptable to the HO (any pointers?). Otherwise, the details of the policy (coverage, deductible) begin to matter

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:07 am

It's all about holding. You are entitled to use NHS as much as you wish. The (slightly ridiculous) requirement to have CSI is not to become a burden on the state. I guess the logic is that if you have an insurance, then for serious / expensive treatments (which might become burden on the state), you will use the insurance and not the NHS.

If you are a student, only you need to have CSI, not your wife. You will need to have CSI in order for your wife to be granted EEA2 (and EEA4 in future).

Isn't German EHIC cheaper than having insurance in the UK?

wiggsy

Post by wiggsy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:39 pm

Jambo wrote:It's all about holding. You are entitled to use NHS as much as you wish. The (slightly ridiculous) requirement to have CSI is not to become a burden on the state. I guess the logic is that if you have an insurance, then for serious / expensive treatments (which might become burden on the state), you will use the insurance and not the NHS.

If you are a student, only you need to have CSI, not your wife. You will need to have CSI in order for your wife to be granted EEA2 (and EEA4 in future).

Isn't German EHIC cheaper than having insurance in the UK?
is the german ehic free or paid for ? - is there a reason you want to cancel the german ehic and get CSI, when the EHIC along with a statement that your move is not pernament would cover the csi requirement.

in 4 years time, when you decide you actually want to live in the uk forever, then take out a policy for CSI... ;)

armed witht he ehic that you hold/did hold and the covering letter stating that you had intention to return to germany upon completion of your studies, it was only on (date) that you began considering living in the uk full time.

also, have you considered a part time job to qualify as a worker also.
For anybody effected, I hope that my Surinder Singh Route Information Pages help.

EconomistPhD
Newly Registered

Post by EconomistPhD » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:17 am

Thanks for your explanations!

No, German medical insurance (and, by extension EHIC) is actually quite expensive (a month of insurance costs me more than a year of the cheaper British private insurance policies). That's why I want to switch if possible - and it is also difficult to maintain German insurance once I officially leave the country.

Jambo's logic makes a lot of sense. CSI is meant for the unlikely case of really expensive hospital treatment that otherwise would be a huge burden on the NHS.

Careyleeuk1118
Newly Registered

Re: EEA2 Comprehensive Sickness Insurance Usage

Post by Careyleeuk1118 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:19 am

Hi Everyone,

I have applied EEA2 residence card on the 27th of December 2013.
And I have received my EEA family residence card for 5 years on the 3rd of March.

When I applied my visa, my husband was self-sufficient and was still searching for a job.
In this case the conditions were that we both have comprehensive health insurance.

My husband has started a new job on 10 March 2014 thus paying national insurance.

In what way does this change our situation with regards to insurance.
Can my husband end his comprehensive health insurance?

I have got a job yet but I have rental income, will get and pay national insurance soon.

How will this affect my own situation as I will apply for a NI number next week?

I do not plan to get a job soon, will start a business next year. And if I want to apply EEA4( permanent residence card) do I need to buy comprehensive insurance for myself and my husband for 5 years? Or it could be cancel if my husband got a job.

Hubba

Post by Hubba » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:12 pm

Careyleeuk1118 wrote:Hi Everyone,

I have applied EEA2 residence card on the 27th of December 2013.
And I have received my EEA family residence card for 5 years on the 3rd of March.

When I applied my visa, my husband was self-sufficient and was still searching for a job.
In this case the conditions were that we both have comprehensive health insurance.

My husband has started a new job on 10 March 2014 thus paying national insurance.

In what way does this change our situation with regards to insurance.
Can my husband end his comprehensive health insurance?

I have got a job yet but I have rental income, will get and pay national insurance soon.

How will this affect my own situation as I will apply for a NI number next week?

I do not plan to get a job soon, will start a business next year. And if I want to apply EEA4( permanent residence card) do I need to buy comprehensive insurance for myself and my husband for 5 years? Or it could be cancel if my husband got a job.
Since your husband is now exercising Treaty Rights as a Worker, CSI wouldn't be necessary anymore for any of you.

JoeyStix
Newly Registered

Post by JoeyStix » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:09 pm

Hi all,

I ask here as well as I am quite desperate and in need of help but I refer you to the following post:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/eea-ro ... l#p1025914
I keep seeing that people mention that if I am a student then my wife does NOT need to hold CSI yet her application for RC just got denied for that precise reason!

Does this give me grounds for appeal? We have since also bought CSI for her also but I need to know whether I should appeal, apply for reconsideration or re-submit as soon as possible, as they have withheld her passport and are threatening of deporting her within 30 days (!).

Is she still allowed to stay in the UK if we re-submit the application? Also, since they have withheld her passport, what is the best course of action to take?

Sorry for the multiple posts but I am quite in distress.