ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Uk Spouse Visa: Term deposits for Cash savings

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

spbos
Newly Registered

Uk Spouse Visa: Term deposits for Cash savings

Post by spbos » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:47 pm

Hi all,

My spouse is an UK citizen and I am applying for a spouse visa from the USA (I am an Indian). She works as a sole director of a limited company. We are not showing her income as it requires lot of documentation. We are planning to go on the saving route instead. I have equivalent of 60500 UK pound in my current account in the USA. So we need some 2000 pound more ( we have British citizen children, but we do not have to show money for them). We also have money in term deposits in India: We had put money in it in 2012 and it will mature in 2017. I have the original term deposit certificate with me. Can I use it to supplement my savings in the USA. Being term deposits, they do not have regular statements. But I can withdraw money anytime i like with a 0.5% interest penalty and it is fully repatriable. I am copy-pasting the general description of the term deposit from the website of the bank. Please let me know what you think.
• Maximum period of 10 years.
• Interest paid quarterly on Term Deposit Receipts (TDRs).
• Principal & interest amount are fully repatriable.
• Premature withdrawals permitted (conditional): On pre-mature withdrawal of the Deposit (after completion of 1 year), interest will be calculated at applicable rate for the period the Deposit has actually remained with the Bank less applicable penalty as under:-

NRE term deposits opened Penalty
Before 1st January, 2012 1%
From 1st January, 2012 0.50%*

* The interest paid shall be 0.50% below the rate applicable for the period deposit has remained with the Bank or 0.50% below the contracted rate, whichever is lower.
o No interest is payable if the deposit is withdrawn before one year.

spbos
Newly Registered

Re: Uk Spouse Visa: Term deposits for Cash savings

Post by spbos » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:33 pm

Please, somebody, let me know.

abdulraheem123

Post by abdulraheem123 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:26 pm

A very good question spbos as i am in a similar situation myself and would like the answer to this also.

As by not showing my income from my limited company and just showing the savings i have, would the immigration officer suspect where i got all the savings from if i dont declare my income from my ltd company. And would he want to know where i got all the money from? or do there just want to see that i own the savings or stocks?

spbos
Newly Registered

Post by spbos » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:48 am

Please refer to Annex FM Section FM 1.7: Financial Requirement, Page 41.

My understanding is - if you are going by the saving route, you won't have to talk about your income. UKBA will be fine with that. However, you will have to show that the required amount of money is in your account, untouched, for 6 months. And yes, you need to declare the source of the fund.