ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

DOES the FREE spouse of EE/EEA national visa EXIST?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mon-keyhanger
Newly Registered

DOES the FREE spouse of EE/EEA national visa EXIST?

Post by mon-keyhanger » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:51 am

I have been told by the Spanish Embassy in Kuwait that there is no FREE spouse of EE/EEA national route to applying for visa. In fact forget the free- there is no route to applyin that way free or not??? Any comments please. Because consular divisions are a law unto themselves, can they ignore schengen directives locally?

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:16 pm

First of all it is not just a Schengen Directive alone. Spain has transpositioned the Directive 2004/38/EC as Real Decreto 240/2007 into the Spanish laws and in refusing you, they are going against Paragraph (2) of Article 4 of their own laws!

The english translation of the law can be seen here while its Spanish version can be found here which says-
2. Los miembros de la familia que no posean la nacionalidad de uno de los Estados miembros de la Unión Europea o de otro Estado parte en el Acuerdo sobre el Espacio Económico Europeo efectuarán su entrada con un pasaporte válido y en vigor, necesitando, además, el correspondiente visado de entrada cuando así lo disponga el Reglamento (CE) 539/2001, de 15 de marzo, por el que se establece la lista de terceros países cuyos nacionales están sometidos a la obligación de visado para cruzar las fronteras exteriores y la lista de terceros países cuyos nacionales están exentos de esa obligación. La expedición de dichos visados será gratuita y su tramitación tendrá carácter preferente cuando acompañen al ciudadano de la Unión o se reúnan con él.
So, complain away to the Ambassador/consular! Should work wonders.
Jabi

mon-keyhanger
Newly Registered

Post by mon-keyhanger » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:30 pm

Thanks Docterror
Saves me a bit searching and gives me a small amount of extra confidence. I just hope that if the Consular section persist in denying the existence of the spouse of EE/EEA national route, my wife's application is not affected by my persistance. This is always the problem as far as they understand they don't need to give us a reason for rejection(yes I know the law and directives say in parts a good reason must be given BUT unless it interferes with national safety or public good- whatever they want that to mean). (That also only refers to spouses of EEnational applications by theway which this Embassy dont seem to recognise- ergo sum!.That notwithstanding in my experience the Spanish Embassy in Kuwait tend to ignore the phone ringing in the Consular section. I have manged to contact the Ambasador's Secretarty but she says can't help you it a consular thing.

My wife is a Filipino Natonal by the way. I only mention this because I have enough Spanish to have understood their behind the counter comments. I don't beleive this should be an issue at all because nowhere have I seen that Filipinos are not allowed to be in the domain of "spouses of EE 'nationals. I am too PC to suggest or even think that this would be an issue in an Embassy of an enlightened European Nation.

YES I will persist. If we don't get to Spain OK, but no point in going if all this rubbish is designed to keep us out. Who wants to be where they are not welcome. All this will eventually damage Europe. It is vey sad

flyboy
Member of Standing
Switzerland

Post by flyboy » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:45 pm

If all else fails, you could get the spanish SOLVIT centre involve - here's the link:

http://ec.europa.eu/solvit/site/index_en.htm

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:48 pm

flyboy wrote:If all else fails, you could get the spanish SOLVIT centre involve - here's the link:

Nice info

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:49 pm

Docterror wrote:First of all it is not just a Schengen Directive alone. Spain has transpositioned the Directive 2004/38/EC as Real Decreto 240/2007 into the Spanish laws and in refusing you, they are going against Paragraph (2) of Article 4 of their own laws!

The english translation of the law can be seen here while its Spanish version can be found here which says-
2. Los miembros de la familia que no posean la nacionalidad de uno de los Estados miembros de la Unión Europea o de otro Estado parte en el Acuerdo sobre el Espacio Económico Europeo efectuarán su entrada con un pasaporte válido y en vigor, necesitando, además, el correspondiente visado de entrada cuando así lo disponga el Reglamento (CE) 539/2001, de 15 de marzo, por el que se establece la lista de terceros países cuyos nacionales están sometidos a la obligación de visado para cruzar las fronteras exteriores y la lista de terceros países cuyos nacionales están exentos de esa obligación. La expedición de dichos visados será gratuita y su tramitación tendrá carácter preferente cuando acompañen al ciudadano de la Unión o se reúnan con él.
So, complain away to the Ambassador/consular! Should work wonders.
Nice info

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:00 pm

flyboy wrote:If all else fails, you could get the spanish SOLVIT centre involve - here's the link:

Upon contacting the Solvit in Madrid for a similar matter at the turn of the year, they really weren't very helpful and told that they would sort us out if we were to contact them after getting into trouble at arriving at the airport! When it comes to beurocracy, the Spanish (while technically, the Spanish SOLVIT isn't a Spanish authority) really are not ones that strike you as being an entity that should really belong to any country of a 'second world'(if there really is one), let alone Europe...

Awaiting further rants about Germany and co..
Jabi

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:07 pm

I think sometimes the embassies just like to have a little sadistic fun. The Spanish have a particularly bad reputation with this.

Definitely contact Solvit.

I would also suggest you put together an application and post it to them by registered mail containing
(1) your passport
(2) your wifes passport
(3) your marriage certificate (translated into spanish)
(4) visa application
(5) A copy of the new law (in Spanish so they can read it, with the bit about free highlighted)
(6) A letter explaining that you will be travelling with your wife and you would like the visa issued free, as soon as possible and on the basis of an accelerated process. cc: the letter and the whole application to the ambassador and to the EU Solvit team. You should also explain that, in accordance with their legal obligations, they must provide a detailed reason for rejecting your application if they do

By posting it to them, you put the onus on them to reject you in writing. They will not like doing that (because it leaves evidence which is good to complain with).

And remember, when writing to them be thoughtful, patient and firm. Gently rubbing their nose in the law is fine.

And, if I were you, I would not ever pay them a visa fee (assuming you intend to travel with your wife). If they remand it, ask them to first put in writing that you wife is required to pay for it even though you are an EU citizen and will be travelling with her.

mon-keyhanger
Newly Registered

Post by mon-keyhanger » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:30 pm

I just spent over 1 hour typing an update that might be very interesting to mostsheesh my connection returned not connected to server lost the lot-so gonna rack my brain again and try and shorten it so post goes to forum. Local internet connections are rubbish.

mon-keyhanger
Newly Registered

Post by mon-keyhanger » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:21 pm

SECOND ATTEMPT AT POSTING

SHORTENED VERSION

REPLY FROM SIGNPOST SERVICES

Enquiry
42602: I am a EE national from UK. I have been told by Spanish Embassy in Kuwait that there is no such thing as an application for spouse of EE/EEA national schengen visa. The suggestion of it existing and being FREE certainly was greeted with absolute dismissal.

She submitted an application. On this application it stated in Spanish that certain parts did not require completion if this was an application from the spouse of an EE/EAA national, this was subsequently not accepted as application was not complete. Parts in question -accom. finance etc.

Evidence of a 10 year marriage was shown (original certificate)authorised attesting etc My female spouse is of Philipines nationality with current multi-entry visa for UK.

I did hear in the background comments(en espanol) of our application mentioning the fact my spouse is Filipino. Comments to me when I asking why my spouse couldn't apply on the fact she is a spouse of EU/EEA national, I was greeted with "But she a Filipino" If Philippines Nationals are excluded from the domain of SPOUSES OF EE/EEA Nationals, why isn't this a catergorical statement. Does a spouse of EE/EEA national category exist let alone a FREE visa one? If it doesn't, why issue all these Schengen directives saying it does?

I accept that the spouse of EE?EEA national application may be the same physical application as normal schengen tourist visa, but why have all the relevant conditions of being a spouse of EE/EEA national ignored if they are on the form for a reason? One last question that I don't seriously expect to be replied to. Even though consular officials have a very tough old job to do that is absolutely necessary, why do they think that all applicants are stupid?

Thank you for your inquiry.

I am surprised to learn about your difficulty, which I imagine has probably arisen due to the unfamiliarity in the Consulate with the provisions of Directive 2004/38/EC.

In reading your inquiry, I see that you have already provided proof of your relationship (the marriage certificate). This, together with your passports (your and your wife’s), should have been sufficient. You might also wish to include a copy of the air tickets to illustrate that both you and your wife will be travelling together.

Your wife should be allowed entry, irrespective of her nationality. It is the fact that she is the wife of an EU national that matters.

Regarding the cost of the visa for your wife, once again, as she is your wife the visa should be free.

If your wife is refused a visa for any reason, the reason must be explained unless it is due to national security provisions.
________

We did submit hotel- flight tkts- insurance receipts -both names where
possible. THE POINT IS THE EMBASSY SAID NO SUCH ROUTE TO A VISA HERE. She couldn't be refused on that route because there would be no application---THEY ONLY accept applications with no consideration that my spouse is married to EE national. If we don't put an application in without the spouse of an EE national - THERE WON"T BE AN APPLICATION. The Signpost people just don't get it! WE KNOW WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN BUT ITS NOT. I'm sure she will not be refused a visa but that not the point is it- the point is SHE CAN"T GET AN APPLICATION STARTED AS a NON EE SPOUSE OF EE NATIONAL

Interesting to UK nationals and justice seekers. I was told by an official on my perseverence this interesting tidbit. (liability fears force me not to state who etc.)

It is a question of repricosity- as the British Embassy ignore the Schengen/EE/EEA free spouse route to visa- so does the Spanish Embassy! ---I don't think this is local to Kuwait Spanish Embassy as other posts have stated similar problems.

The Spanish Embassies outside EE logically will only get spouses of Brits applying or the odd other non- Schengen signatory nations (Norway Ireland Swiss not sure who they at moment) who are thin on the ground, as non ee spouses of other signatory nationals use their own Embassy by default. It therefore quite easy to have blanket contrived staff ignorance on 2004/38/EU etc

My thoughts now.

A spouse of a Spanish national for example needs to pay upto 120KD-about 230 pounds depending on visa applied for. (the Brits would say this is legal because there isn't a schengen visa to apply for)

The Schengen group generously offer benefits to include nations not in Schengen group channeled through EE/EEA provisions and ammendments gathering strength as it goes even being transposed into individual statutes of member states. (Is this a pressure ploy to "encourage membership" by its obvious resulting friction or generosity- who knows)

I symphathise with the Spanish attitude.

I symphathise with the UK Embassy's attitude. (even though they are guilty of grabbing hefty unjustified fees- I know I paid it also for my spouse- not just other EE nats.

I think there are 3 semantics of debate here in total confusion.

EE freedom of movement/Schengen freedom of movement/national interests.

The semantic or the meanings of each are not mutual. These mutually exclusive semantics although bound by some common needs are being confused and being used in an arena of interpretation that doesn't allow transfer across the domains easily.
On one level the discussion is fraught with errors of apparent common but exclusive meanings. I won't attempt it here. Thats why we put those bl**dy politicians and eurocrats there in first place it was supposed to be their job to sort these things out before problems such as this.

I'll look at the practical bit.

May I propose for the sake of argument that legally British Embassies can charge non-EE spouses of EE nats if they apply in their own right as foreign nationals. Maybe there is a Family member of EE nationals permit. The UK doesn't issue Schengen NON EE spouse visas. How could they? They are not Schengen signatories. They have never professed to offer anything like a Free visa etc for Non- EE spouses. It may be bloodymindedness but it their choice. Seems there is a Non EE family member permit processed and charged in a similar way to any foreign applicant not a partner of an EE national. This is causing the Spanish to want to limit the rights given to UK/EE nationals by the Spanish as signatories to Schengen.

Schengen states have generously included UK etc into their Non-EE spouse idea like I said. But then some states don't like the idea because Uk not recipricating- but UK never said they would tag something onto the Schengen idea- Did they? If Spain agreed to the idea of generously giving ALL EE national and their spouses something good why are they refusing to play the game they agreed to. Surely it was up to the contributing Schengen states to consider the consequences of their actions.
By their actions of refusing to accept UK nationals non-EE spouses route to Schengen visa they must have expected the UK to comply with Schengen ideals.

It seems to me that the UK accept applications from EE national non EE spouses as they would any other non EE nationals. If they are legally bound to give special consideration to non- EE spouses by EE law/UK statuates (not finished my research yet) ,indeed the UK needs reprimanding and pursuing by other EE nations till they comply.
If the Uk is not legally bound. This pressure of "reciprical" action is nonsense because it is not reciprical. If one party gives a favour it not logically expected to have to return a favour. Morally expected or sociable ,but if you offer a gift expecting a return it not really a gift is it?

I would rather the EE/ Schengen states not offer these rights to me and my spouse than to be offered them then snatched away when we claim them.

(1)Is the UK legally bound by any directives to implement measures that give rise to the creation of a type visa with equivalence to non- EE spouse of a EE-national type visa? I step down and give the floor to those that know!

(2)Supposing UK IS NOT legally bound, are Schengen signatory/EE nations such as in this case Spain, legally allowed to refuse to implement an agreement already on their own statute books without revoking it?

(3) Supposing UK IS legally bound, are Schengen signatory/EE nations legally allowed to refuse to implement an agreement already on their statute books without revoking it? (in this case-Does Spain have repricosity clause in their transposition of the directive?) (If they do it must by logic be directed at the non- signatories of a common agreement one would think.)

The argument of it being a reciprical action not to implement for UK nationals is nonsense if UK not legally bound.

THIS IS THE SIMPLE straight forward answer to the problem: answering these questions. I suspect we are back to square one.

To answer (1) ,which is based on many conditionals and invoking again the crossing of the semantic domains ,I suspect ,is the real crux of the problem, So we are back to the start.

I hope this doesn't sound like the ramblings I suspect it might- my previous lost post was better.

My head is revolving now so love to all and hope this may be of use to some

mon-keyhanger
Newly Registered

Post by mon-keyhanger » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:30 pm

PS My spouse has applied without the consideration of her being a spouse of an EE national- no choice. We paid the fee of 21 Kuwaiti Dinars and 600 fils It appears to be processing. We lodged her passport with the Embassy a few days ago. We will return in 10days with her passport again after picking it up today. They don't hold the passport in the 10 day processing period it seems. Thanks for your patient reading and hope it will be of some use to somebody.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:36 pm

The Spanish embassy is doing something incorrect and illegal according to Spanish law. Very simple. The EU response makes that clear. I would still encourage you to contact Solvit, including the reference you got from the EU.

It is unclear what you think the UK did wrong. The UK can treat you differently because you are a UK citizen living outside the EU. If you were Spanish applying for a UK issued "EEA family permit", it would be issued for free.

mon-keyhanger
Newly Registered

Post by mon-keyhanger » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:53 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:The Spanish embassy is doing something incorrect and illegal according to Spanish law. Very simple. The EU response makes that clear. I would still encourage you to contact Solvit, including the reference you got from the EU.

It is unclear what you think the UK did wrong. The UK can treat you differently because you are a UK citizen living outside the EU. If you were Spanish applying for a UK issued "EEA family permit", it would be issued for free.

It was stated to me by the official that Spanish applicants applying for EEA family permits have been charged. This may have been in Kuwait at the Brit Embassy here or in UK. That part wan't clear as one clerical oficer was giving an example or information to the official about a particular relative of hers as a case in point. Her spanish was quite coloquial and delivered with some emotion so I missed that point, but still an example was offered and she related to the officer to tell me to talk to my Embassy about it.
This reccomendation was not translated to me. Because of the case offered by the clerical staff and the none translated ''reccomendation' to talk to my embassy ( a none starter there)I may assume it was a local instance

mon-keyhanger
Newly Registered

Post by mon-keyhanger » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:10 pm

Sorry if I was not clear in my longer posting. A little bit befuddled with it all as you can imagine. I know what yourself and other posters are saying : it allmakes logical sense from your direction , but after hitting brick walls with these consular people you begin to get addled. I assumed that because of the info related to me by the consular officer that Uk was at least in some cases charging for Family permits for non EE spouses of Spanish nationals. This is corroborated in other posts inthis forum at least in the UK treatment of document requirements.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:21 pm

I have never heard of the UK ever charging for the EEA family permit directly. In any case, if they did, the applicant should have complained forcefully to the EU about the behaviour of the UK embassy.

You are being taken advantage of by the Spanish embassy, and I am frankly a little amazed that you are so willing to accept their poor justifications of their unprofessional (and illegal) behaviour.

Please consider helping out the people who follow you and contact http://ec.europa.eu/solvit/

You should also contact the UK embassy and tell them what the Spanish embassy is saying.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:51 pm

Monkey-Hangers have issues with the Spanish - they hung a monkey thinking it was a spanish spy!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

mon-keyhanger
Newly Registered

Post by mon-keyhanger » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:57 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:I have never heard of the UK ever charging for the EEA family permit directly. In any case, if they did, the applicant should have complained forcefully to the EU about the behaviour of the UK embassy.

You are being taken advantage of by the Spanish embassy, and I am frankly a little amazed that you are so willing to accept their poor justifications of their unprofessional (and illegal) behaviour.

Please consider helping out the people who follow you and contact http://ec.europa.eu/solvit/

You should also contact the UK embassy and tell them what the Spanish embassy is saying.

Just had another mis post-due to connection cut off- here we go again - i'll try and type faster this time

I am not accepting the attitude and treatment received. We have to accept the way they ar processing at momnt jut to get a visa. Prsonal situation here warrants it. I work for Kuwait MOD and on restricted exits. 9 weeks for exit permissions- if I cancel I wont get out of country for many months evrything ruined not just spanish trip.

So I'm sure you will understand my continuing with this unjust application.
It is not the end. iIwill use SOLVIT- composing the case now. I will investigate all other means to try toprevent this happeng to people after me. It is my duty. I wouldnt post to a forum such of this if I thought otherwise. I appreciate your and other posters help and concern and am grateful other people do care. I will return this help and try to resolve this ridiculous situation here, but I am afraid it will be after the event- though instigated now. Thanks forall your help and advice Cheers mate.

mon-keyhanger
Newly Registered

Post by mon-keyhanger » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:59 pm

Wanderer wrote:Monkey-Hangers have issues with the Spanish - they hung a monkey thinking it was a spanish spy!
NAW MAN HE was French. I bet you are Spanish

mon-keyhanger
Newly Registered

Post by mon-keyhanger » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:04 pm

Napoleanic Wars the story goes.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:55 pm

mon-keyhanger wrote:
Wanderer wrote:Monkey-Hangers have issues with the Spanish - they hung a monkey thinking it was a spanish spy!
NAW MAN HE was French. I bet you are Spanish
Oy, I'm from Bolton!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:21 am

I am glad to hear you are going ahead with your vacation. And also happy that you can contribute to the proper administration of EU law :-)

Did they give you a receipt for your visa fee payment?

mon-keyhanger
Newly Registered

Post by mon-keyhanger » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:28 am

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:I am glad to hear you are going ahead with your vacation. And also happy that you can contribute to the proper administration of EU law :-)

Did they give you a receipt for your visa fee payment?
-----------
Yes they did