ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship for my Son

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Shavi2013
Newly Registered

British Citizenship for my Son

Post by Shavi2013 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:38 pm

I completed my 10 years of lawful residence in the UK and applied for ILR and was granted on 01/03/2014.
My son is 6 years old and was born in the UK. His resident permit was only up to 28/02/2014 and in early Feb I submitted form FLR(O) through my solicitor requesting an extension to his stay till my ILR gets processed.
Once I got my ILR, I forwarded a Form MN1 requesting to register my son as a British Citizen since I am now a settled person.
I have few questions regarding my situation
Now that I am a settled person, do I need to extend my son’s visa?
Does he need a visa till his citizenship application gets processed?
My solicitor has received a letter from UKBA requesting to submit a form FLR(FP) instead of FLR(O). Not sure which form is the correct form in my case?
My solicitor is confused and I am confused. Much appreciate if someone could provide some advise.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British Citizenship for my Son

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:52 pm

Shavi2013 wrote:I completed my 10 years of lawful residence in the UK and applied for ILR and was granted on 01/03/2014.
My son is 6 years old and was born in the UK. His resident permit was only up to 28/02/2014 and in early Feb I submitted form FLR(O) through my solicitor requesting an extension to his stay till my ILR gets processed.
Once I got my ILR, I forwarded a Form MN1 requesting to register my son as a British Citizen since I am now a settled person.
I have few questions regarding my situation
Now that I am a settled person, do I need to extend my son’s visa? No, registration for a UK born child is an entitlement under section 1(3)
Does he need a visa till his citizenship application gets processed? No
My solicitor has received a letter from UKBA requesting to submit a form FLR(FP) instead of FLR(O). Not sure which form is the correct form in my case? It is a different department and probably at a different location, that deals with FLR(FP) and FLR(O) applications to the one that deals with MN1 applications. Where did you send the MN1 form?
My solicitor is confused and I am confused. Much appreciate if someone could provide some advise.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Shavi2013
Newly Registered

Post by Shavi2013 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:14 pm

Many thanks for your reply. I submitted MN1 form through my local council , not through my Lawyer.

In that case I will notify HO regarding my son's MN1 application and withdraw pending visa application.

Thanks again.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:19 pm

Yes, if you advise the caseworker/department dealing with the FLR(O) or FLR(FP) that you are withdrawing the FLR(O) application as you have submitted MN1 under section 1(3), this should be fine.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Shavi2013
Newly Registered

Post by Shavi2013 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:27 pm

Many thanks for your prompt reply CR001.

Shavi2013
Newly Registered

Post by Shavi2013 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:46 pm

CR001 wrote:Yes, if you advise the caseworker/department dealing with the FLR(O) or FLR(FP) that you are withdrawing the FLR(O) application as you have submitted MN1 under section 1(3), this should be fine.

Dear CR001,

Please advice, now my Lawyer says he can not withdraw my son's application as If I do not get citizenship for my Son, he will be overstayed. he is saying it is not guaranteed that my son get the British citizenship. I think he is bit disappointed that I did not use him to forward the Citizenship application. I did it my own through my local council. I did not want to waste any more money, besides MN1 is a straightforward application.

I have no doubts about my sons's citizenship application as He was born in the UK and now I am settled person.(ILR). I just do not understand my Lawyers point.

I think I should just ask him to withdraw my son's FLR(O) or FLR (FP) application.
please advice

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:54 pm

You are correct. Your son's immigration status, FLR(O) or FLR(LR) application, is irrelevant to his entitlement to British citizenship. In a way, its outcome is guaranteed when the requirements are met.

Note that you still lose the fees if you withdraw his FLR(O) or FLR(LR) application. So, you might as well leave it be and don't worry about it. If you want, then you can just submit the FLR(LR) for fun if there are no extra fees involved.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Shavi2013
Newly Registered

Post by Shavi2013 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:29 pm

Many thanks for your reply.

I know that I will not get a refund for my pending application. That is not my worry.

my main worry is that What if FLR (FP) is refused. I just do not want any negative comments on my son's visa history. FLR (FP) form did not make any sense to my son's situation.

Anyway i am sure about my sons's British citizenship application . So why should not I withdrew uncertain/unclear FLR (FP)?

I just do not understand my lawyer. I think he just wants to make things complicated.

Shavi2013
Newly Registered

Post by Shavi2013 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:53 pm

Can I withdraw my son's FLR (FP) application on my own without my solicitor? initially I submitted this form through my solicitor.I know I can withdraw by filling a form on line and I have got all the references I need.

I really need your advice.

Thanks