ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When to make the application and other Questions!

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

5fifty5
Newly Registered

When to make the application and other Questions!

Post by 5fifty5 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:50 am

Hi,
I received my ILR couple of days back and since everything is fresh, I thought I might as well ask for a bit of information regarding naturalisation.

My ILR application was straight forward and me and my wife will be completing our 5 years in the UK on 1 Nov this year, so first caveat is OK.
2nd is that we should have been in the UK at the time 5 years ago at the time of making the application. That is fine as well, but do correct if I am wrong, which brings me to my questions:

1. When can I apply? Does 28 day rule apply for Naturalisation as well? or do I have to wait for exactly 12 months to pass before making an application?

2. What are the benefits of using the Nationality Checking Service? Am I correct in saying that if I use NCS, I can keep my passport and can travel while my application is under consideration?

3. From what I gather, there wont be much to send except the following:
a. Passports
b. ILR BRP's
c. P60's

LITUK test has been taken at the time of ILR as well as evidence of English speaking. Anything else?

Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: When to make the application and other Questions!

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:35 am

There is no '28 day' rule for naturalisation.

Unless you are married to a British Citizen, you will have to wait exactly 12 months on ILR before you can apply.

Yes, if you use NCS, you get to keep your originals and yes you can travel while your application is being considered.

You will need to provide the English B1 proof again when you apply for naturalisation.

See the FAQs link below :

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 95747.html
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

cmcabral
Newly Registered

Post by cmcabral » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:01 pm

Hello everyone!

My ILR visa was issued on the 23 SEP/2013 pretty much 1 year later after I applied for it on the 02 OCT/2012. So, since my application took longer than 6 months to be approved I wondering whether I still have to wait for 12 months before I can apply for the British citizenship? I live in the UK for 9 years and I have already past the life in the UK and English language tests.

Thank you in advance.

Cleyton Cabral

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:04 pm

Unless you are married to a British Citizen, you will have to wait exactly 12 months on ILR before you can apply.
I am sometimes wrong.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:24 pm

cmcabral wrote:Hello everyone!

My ILR visa was issued on the 23 SEP/2013 pretty much 1 year later after I applied for it on the 02 OCT/2012. So, since my application took longer than 6 months to be approved I wondering whether I still have to wait for 12 months before I can apply for the British citizenship? I live in the UK for 9 years and I have already past the life in the UK and English language tests.

Thank you in advance.

Cleyton Cabral
There is a concession/waiver if your ILR application was protracted through no fault of your own. Read the thread below :

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 41524.html
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

salman83

Post by salman83 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:41 pm

I thought that P60 is necessary when applying through EEA route