ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Full name change, will it complicate naturalisation?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Maxwell

Full name change, will it complicate naturalisation?

Post by Maxwell » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:58 am

Hello

Thank you very much for your help.

I am currently on ILR. I live in UK 10+ years. I am going to apply for naturalisation in 6 months.

I want to change my name. Both first name and surname. It is fairly easy to do in UK with UK documents. However, much harder on my original current nationality passport. I have to travel to my original country and go through complicated process there to change it in my current passport, I don't want to do it.

So I wonder, if I change my name in UK on all UK documents with the help of title deeds. So I will change it on uk driving licences, biometrics ILR card, bank account, etc. but not in my current passport (non-uk).

I wonder, will it complicate my application for naturalisation? I will have different names in UK and in my original passport, also it will look like I lived in UK for 10+ Years under different name. I want to change my name but I am worried it may lead to delay in naturalisation process, can it slow it down? May they become suspicious and refuse it? Also, from legal point of view, will it be allowed for me to have one passport on one name and uk passport on different name?

I am not trying to hide anything by changing name, just want to change it.

Cheers.

maximux79

Re: Full name change, will it complicate naturalisation?

Post by maximux79 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:23 am

Hello, I've similar plan of changing my surname (actualy swapping my middle n last name). based on my research what I'm planning to do, apply for naturalisation, then get the deed poll done, and then apply for British passport in new name. Even though the naturalisation certificate will have the old name, a deed poll is good enough for validate the name change.

You can notarize the deed poll which will be accepted by other nation's embassy if you need...

Thanks

shivasks
Newly Registered

Post by shivasks » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:09 pm

Hi Folks, Seems i am not the only one...good to have some company....i am in similar situation and any advice will be appreciated...my Name is quite long in that it is Double barreled twice...at the moment i am eligible to apply for Naturalization ...should i apply for Naturalization using my current name and then change my name using deed poll and then apply for passport using the new name ?
or do i change my name now and then apply for naturalization using the new name ? if i change my name before applying for/ getting naturalized will i need to Inform UKBA and get the ILR card under new name ? i guess yes

Cheers,
Shiva

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:15 am

I believe it is better to change the name before naturalization as it is quite a hassle do it once naturalized.
I am sometimes wrong.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:37 pm

milan69 wrote:I believe it is better to change the name before naturalization as it is quite a hassle do it once naturalized.

Incorrect. The process is the same (and fairly easy) whether it is done before or after naturalisation. You don't have to change the naturalisation certificate.

If done after naturalisation, include the Deed Poll with your passport application and your new name will be on the passport.

In any event, once you have done the name change through dead poll, you need to make sure that all the relevant agencies and banks etc have been notified so that Identity checks which are done match the new name.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

shivasks
Newly Registered

Post by shivasks » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:14 pm

Thanks Guys, much appreciated !

Cheers,
Shiva

rickyrafe777

Post by rickyrafe777 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:44 pm

hey guys,,,

just got my approval!>>>> In Mar 2014

I have changed my full name.. First and surname!!!
Complete new name from my birth name!!! as it was long...

I used deed poll 2 months before my naturalization!!!

It just took same amount of time, as normal application... almost two month!!!
Just submit deedpoll and change of name on your Driving license.... while using NCS...

Hope it helps

shivasks
Newly Registered

Post by shivasks » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:25 pm

Congratulations Ricky, just one question... did you also inform UKBA and get the changes done on your BRP etc because you say that you got the Deed Poll done 2 months prior to your Naturalization application ? from what you said below i presume that is not the case ?

Cheers,
Shiva

rickyrafe777

Post by rickyrafe777 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:06 am

shivasks wrote:Congratulations Ricky, just one question... did you also inform UKBA and get the changes done on your BRP etc because you say that you got the Deed Poll done 2 months prior to your Naturalization application ? from what you said below i presume that is not the case ?

Cheers,
Shiva

No i didn't inform Home office or changed my bio card. It was same till i submitted the application.
Just change your DL and a deed poll to support your application.
I did two month early coz i wanted to change my bank details, DL, NHS etc
the reason was that my name was long..

shivasks
Newly Registered

Post by shivasks » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:14 am

Thanks Mate, i was concerned if i would be asked why UKBA was not informed of the name change but your reply is assuring...btw my full name has 35 characters :roll: could your's have beaten that :D

Cheers,
Shiva

shivasks
Newly Registered

Post by shivasks » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:52 pm

Is it advisable to get name changed before Naturalization or after it is done and one has got a UK Passport ? if so why ?

Thanks in advance folks

Cheers,
Shiva

shivasks
Newly Registered

Post by shivasks » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:59 pm

Thanks mate, i just re read this and it seems it does not matter, it can be done before or after naturalization or even after getting the passport.

Cheers,
Shiva