ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 (G) still eligible for ILR after unemployed absence?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

yazgat
Newly Registered

Tier 1 (G) still eligible for ILR after unemployed absence?

Post by yazgat » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:46 pm

Dear IB members,

I heard of this community just today, which is a wealth of information about questions I could not answer, I thank everyone contributing.

I have doubts about my eligibility to apply for ILR after reading about the 'absence' requirements and recent changes made effective from April 2013. All the information about different dates and different applications just confused me so I am seeking some help / expert opinion.

My visa journey is:

18/12/2009 - Received my Tier 1 (General) Visa out of UK
17/03/2010 - First entry to UK (Days out of UK Count : 89)
19/03/2010 - Left UK to hand over responsibilities and finish affairs at home country
07/05/2010 - Came to UK start living & working at new job (Days out of UK from previous entry: 49)

Then the breakdown of 'absence' days:

18/12/2009 - 17/12/2010 : 138 Days (89 + 49, please see above)
18/12/2010 - 17/12/2011: 20 Days (paid leaves)
18/12/2011 - 17/12/2012: 29 Days (paid leaves)
18/12/2012 - 17/12/2013: 49 Days (16 days paid leaves + 33 days unpaid leaves*)
18/12/2013 - Now (26/03/2014): 10 Days (unpaid leaves*)

The * days are for ones when I was made redundant by my ex-employer and had holidays till I set up my company to work as a contractor. Since these were holidays and not visiting family, I am worried that these might treated as ceasing my continuity of living in UK. During this period I still sought employment in UK through e-mails and calls, but was on a different county.

My questions are:

1) From which date exactly I should start to count 5 years (UK Entry Stamp Date or "Grant of Entry Date")?
2) Would my unemployed absences be treated as 'cease' of continuity? How this period should be explained in ILR application?

I was not aware of this drastic changes made recently about absence and now I am worried about risking my ILR application

Note: I have no problems in scoring necessary amount of points for extension / ILR. All passing 4+ years were on Tier 1 (General) Visa, and I do not have any dependents.

Thanks in advance!

sak20099
- thin ice -

Re: Tier 1 (G) still eligible for ILR after unemployed absen

Post by sak20099 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:09 pm

I am exactly in same situation, and will apply ILR in June , in my case I spend 4 months outside in first year not paid in UK and still looking for answer

As far as I know you can discount first 89 days as the absences are counted from the day you make first entry into UK and not on date of entry clearance

rahul656
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by rahul656 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:16 pm

I am also in the same situation where i spent 4 months outside uk during my first year. I am due ilr in dec 2015. Please let us know the outcome of your application in june.

Shanjo
Newly Registered

Post by Shanjo » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:32 am

Hi Guys,

I am also in the similar situation, Below is what I think

1. We have not execeed the 180 days rule - so we should be Ok.

2. Tier 1 General migrants are not required to be in the constant employment and I blieve this visa category is clearly known to either seek a skilled emploment or to become a self-employed. For more details Please check the below link (query and a reply from settlement team, check the 2 point in reply)

http://www.immigrationboards.com/indefi ... 25765.html

3. I personally think while preparing the covering letter, just put the list of absences in total and mentioning that we have not execeeded the 180 days absence in any of the 5 years.

The above is good to me, Let me know your views and if you have any updates on this as well. Please do share your views

Thanks

aubajwa

Post by aubajwa » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:17 pm

rahul656 wrote:I am also in the same situation where i spent 4 months outside uk during my first year. I am due ilr in dec 2015. Please let us know the outcome of your application in june.
Hello Rahul,

Did u managed to get ILR?
What explanation u provided for non-paid absences / family visit?

I have 60 days of non-paid absence, where I went back to my country and searched the job from there unless I did not received an interview call.

Thanks

aubajwa

Post by aubajwa » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:21 pm

Hello Yazgat,

Please confirm if u managed to get ILR?
What explanation u provided for non-paid absences / family visit (49 days)?

I have 60 days of non-paid absence, where I went back to my country and searched the job from there unless I did not received an interview call.

You feedback is highly appreciated and it will certainly help me to streamline my affairs.

Thanks

wasim_n

Post by wasim_n » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:35 pm

Hi

I had 136 days unpaid and was out of UK still got my ILR last month under Tier 1 (G), if your absences are under 180 mark each year there shouldnt be an issue.

Wx

aubajwa

Post by aubajwa » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:39 pm

wasim_n wrote:Hi

I had 136 days unpaid and was out of UK still got my ILR last month under Tier 1 (G), if your absences are under 180 mark each year there shouldnt be an issue.

Wx
Thanks Wasim.

What reasons did you provided for 136 unpaid absence.
Do just general Family-Visit reason would suffice?

Thanks

wasim_n

Post by wasim_n » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:51 pm

aubajwa wrote:
wasim_n wrote:Hi

Wx
Thanks Wasim.

What reasons did you provided for 136 unpaid absence.
Do just general Family-Visit reason would suffice?

Thanks
Just write family visit

yazgat
Newly Registered

Post by yazgat » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:29 pm

Dear All,

Thank you for all comments and guidance provided.

I got my ILR and none of the mentioned caused any problem. I even did not receive any queries about them, just declared them as 'holiday' and that was it.

I wish you all good luck in your applications!