ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Returning- Financial requirement Category A- questions

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

85 East
United Kingdom

Returning- Financial requirement Category A- questions

Post by 85 East » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:55 pm

We're planning to return to the UK later this year, and will be applying for a spouse/settlement visa. We have some savings, cash and planned sale of UK property, which will mean there I will require an annual income of approx 4700 GBP to meet the income criteria, and have been employed overseas with a salary of over GBP 18600, but have some questions.
- We currently reside in a 3rd country, so she will return home to apply. Do I have to have the offer of employment for the UK whilst still overseas, or can I return to the UK, and get a job within 3 months and submit this as evidence of employment in the UK?
- Once a job offer is accepted, and the proof submitted, is there any requirement that I stay in that job for a given length of time?
- I presume that a job offer wouldn't have to match qualifications? E.g. A brain surgeon is free to gain UK employment in a garage, or as a computer programmer?

Thanks
Last edited by 85 East on Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

anniecc

Re: Returning

Post by anniecc » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:05 pm

How long have you been living outside the UK? A 'settlement visa', also known as indefinite leave to remain, is only possible if you are currently residing in the UK. Do you mean a spouse visa?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:13 pm

anniecc wrote:How long have you been living outside the UK? A 'settlement visa', also known as indefinite leave to remain, is only possible if you are currently residing in the UK. Do you mean a spouse visa?
A spouse visa is a settlement visa when applied for abroad, valid for 2.5 years and renewable!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

85 East
United Kingdom

Re: Returning- Financial requirement Category A- questions

Post by 85 East » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:14 pm

Yes, spouse visa, sorry, we've been outside the UK for 8 years in total in various countries. I hold a UK passport, and am British by birth (if that has any bearing...)

anniecc

Post by anniecc » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:19 am

85 East wrote:We're planning to return to the UK later this year, and will be applying for a spouse/settlement visa. We have some savings, cash and planned sale of UK property, which will mean there I will require an annual income of approx 4700 GBP to meet the income criteria, and have been employed overseas with a salary of over GBP 18600, but have some questions.
- We currently reside in a 3rd country, so she will return home to apply. Do I have to have the offer of employment for the UK whilst still overseas, or can I return to the UK, and get a job within 3 months and submit this as evidence of employment in the UK?
If you're British, you have the right to return to the UK whenever you want. For your wife to be able to accompany you you'll need to meet the financial requirements. So if you want to return to the UK and look for a job, she won't be able to join you until such time as you meet the financial requirement. In practice that's likely to mean a separation of 6-12 months.
Once a job offer is accepted, and the proof submitted, is there any requirement that I stay in that job for a given length of time?

You'd be advised to stay in it until your wife's visa is approved, as sometimes UKBA will request additional evidence to process the application. But in theory, yes, you could quit the day after you apply, and there's certainly no requirement to remain in the job once the application is approved. Just remember you'll have to meet the financial requirements again after 2.5 years when you apply to extend your wife's visa. If she is also intending to work in the UK, you'll be able to count both her and your income for the renewal application. For the initial application only your income will count.
I presume that a job offer wouldn't have to match qualifications? E.g. A brain surgeon is free to gain UK employment in a garage, or as a computer programmer?
Correct. The only relevant factor is the salary level.

85 East
United Kingdom

Post by 85 East » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:44 pm

anniecc wrote:
85 East wrote:We're planning to return to the UK later this year, and will be applying for a spouse/settlement visa. We have some savings, cash and planned sale of UK property, which will mean there I will require an annual income of approx 4700 GBP to meet the income criteria, and have been employed overseas with a salary of over GBP 18600, but have some questions.
If you're British, you have the right to return to the UK whenever you want. For your wife to be able to accompany you you'll need to meet the financial requirements. So if you want to return to the UK and look for a job, she won't be able to join you until such time as you meet the financial requirement. In practice that's likely to mean a separation of 6-12 months.
Thanks, presumably if I can provide evidence of having received a salary above GBP 18600 for the last 12+ months overseas and have a signed contract for a job in the UK I don't have to wait to fulfil the UK requirements?

Annex FM Section FM 1.7: Financial Requirement
the applicant‟s partner must also have a confirmed offer of salaried or non- salaried employment in the UK, starting within 3 months of their return.

ruirui
Newly Registered

Post by ruirui » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:21 am

anniecc wrote:If you're British, you have the right to return to the UK whenever you want. For your wife to be able to accompany you you'll need to meet the financial requirements. So if you want to return to the UK and look for a job, she won't be able to join you until such time as you meet the financial requirement. In practice that's likely to mean a separation of 6-12 months.

Hi Anniecc.

Your response to 85East that I have quoted here seems to answer the question I asked in this thread: http://www.immigrationboards.com/immigr ... 61657.html, and on which no one has yet added any specific comments. I hope that my summarising that thread and restating the question contained in it below is acceptable on this thread, as it appears that this issue formed a fundamental part of 85East's question and I would like to delve into this issue further in the context of my own partner's application, which is entering a crucial decision-making stage.

My spouse is booked in for an appointment to submit our documents for her application for entry to the UK next Friday. I am currently in the UK having returned two months ago to look for work, and have not yet started working. Rather, I am relying on a job offer, starting at the end of this month, and on my previous 12 months of salaried employment income accumulated abroad to meet the financial requirement. Once my spouse hopefully receives her visa, it is my intention to fly out to her home country and return with her to the UK for her first entry on that visa.

From my understanding of the Home Office's internal guidance on categorising applications (Annex FM Section FM 1.7), to avail themself of the 'return' route (and therefore qualify to submit a job offer as evidence of meeting the financial requirement, rather than six months of UK pay slips), a person must 'return with' their spouse for 'settlement' as opposed to be already 'residing' in the UK. I suppose that the key question is how does the UKBA define 'return with' a spouse and how do they define 'residing' in the UK.

It appears to me from your post that you see 'returning' to the UK as 'entering' the UK. If this is the case, I would not be able to meet the financial requirement based on a job offer, and would instead be required to work here for 6 months first. My view, however, (which may be optimistic...) is that by setting the bar at the seemingly high level of 'resident' (which could arguably only be applied to those 'ordinarily resident' in the UK as under tax law) before they will require 6 months of employment in the UK, the Home Office is providing flexibility in allowing case officers to decide on a case by case basis whether someone should be categorised as having returned with a spouse or not.

Are you able to confirm from practical experience whether the UKBA will view me as having 'returned' and or as 'resident' in the UK? As I have to submit documents next week, were I to hear from someone with practical experience that the UKBA would definitely consider me as having 'returned' and or as 'resident', my partner and I would need to consider our options in terms of whether to submit and appeal, or request a refund and save the expense of the application and the potential time required in an appeal, and instead resubmit having met the requirement of six months of paid work in the UK.

My personal reading of the application form and VAF 4A Appendix 2 is that UKBA will adopt a flexible approach to interpretation of 'return' and 'residence', but if you have had a different experience, I would be really grateful for your comments.

85 East
United Kingdom

Post by 85 East » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:54 am

ruirui wrote:
[...]Your response to 85East that I have quoted here seems to answer the question I asked in this thread:[...]
@ruirui
My interpretation is that there has to be some degree of flexibility in the 'returning resident' route. I would not think that entering the UK is counted as returning, and certainly for HMRC purposes there are distinctions between being resident and non-resident. Practically there will also be very few cases where the sponsor is able to organise a job, and housing, together with all the required documents without having to enter the UK at some point. Given that UKBA ask for a confirmed job offer I would also presume there has to be some further flexibility as there is no guarantee of when UKBA will return your wife's passport, and I guess you will have to return to the UK by a certain date in order to take up employment, otherwise you will loose the work.

I would be interested to find out how you get on, our situation is further complicated by the fact we live in a 3rd (non-EU) country, so my spouse will have to return to her own country to process the application.

ruirui
Newly Registered

Post by ruirui » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:32 am

Thanks 85 East. My application is going in next Friday so fingers crossed... Will let you know how I get on.
85 East wrote:I would be interested to find out how you get on, our situation is further complicated by the fact we live in a 3rd (non-EU) country, so my spouse will have to return to her own country to process the application.
I don't have the rules with me but I don't seem to recall any thing in there that requires your spouse to apply from her own country. Are you sure that your spouse needs to return to her own country to process the application? This doesn't apply in my situation but it sounds like a huge hassle.

Cheers.

Raj5

Post by Raj5 » Mon May 12, 2014 2:24 pm

CR001 wrote:
anniecc wrote:How long have you been living outside the UK? A 'settlement visa', also known as indefinite leave to remain, is only possible if you are currently residing in the UK. Do you mean a spouse visa?
A spouse visa is a settlement visa when applied for abroad, valid for 2.5 years and renewable!!
What happens if someone on a spouse visa,granted under old rule pre july 2012, seeks extension, does he need to satisfy English requirement again also the financial requirement under the new rules?

ruirui
Newly Registered

Post by ruirui » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:24 am

85 East wrote:
ruirui wrote:
[...]Your response to 85East that I have quoted here seems to answer the question I asked in this thread:[...]
@ruirui
My interpretation is that there has to be some degree of flexibility in the 'returning resident' route. I would not think that entering the UK is counted as returning, and certainly for HMRC purposes there are distinctions between being resident and non-resident. Practically there will also be very few cases where the sponsor is able to organise a job, and housing, together with all the required documents without having to enter the UK at some point. Given that UKBA ask for a confirmed job offer I would also presume there has to be some further flexibility as there is no guarantee of when UKBA will return your wife's passport, and I guess you will have to return to the UK by a certain date in order to take up employment, otherwise you will loose the work.

I would be interested to find out how you get on, our situation is further complicated by the fact we live in a 3rd (non-EU) country, so my spouse will have to return to her own country to process the application.
Just to let you know that we received our visa without any problems.