ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non EEA family member now divorce applying for citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Parada
Newly Registered

Non EEA family member now divorce applying for citizenship

Post by Parada » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:58 pm

Hello lovely people,
the day has finally arrived when I can apply for my british citizenzship and I booked NCS appointment for today. I got my permanent resident card as non EU family member of EEA national, however we got divorced in November, well after I received my resident card. Today at NCS meeting they refused my papers saying that I need to prove I have been living here for five years with no more than 6 months gap in employment because I am now divorced and they have his proof of residency but not mine?! She called the Home Office in front of me and apparently this is what they have told her. I do not get it - I thought if I have permanent residence card I do not have to do this, that I have already proved I lived here for five years? What difference does it make that I am divorced now - this does not change what I did in the last 6 years? I am stressing now because I did have a gap of six months in 2012 when I did not work. Now what? I have payslips for almost every other month since Apr 2009 till today (that is the period she said I have to cover). Can this be right? Oh, yes, in the mean time Croatia became EU member, so I am technically EU member to.

runie80
Member of Standing

Re: Non EEA family member now divorce applying for citizensh

Post by runie80 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:14 pm

If you got the PR card you do not need to provide evidence of 5 year treaty rights as far as I understand.
Wait for some senior to confirm.

If that's the case email the NCS and ask them to re book the appointment free of charge and then send the application.

I found the NCS people are not very upto date and some times they say they have contacted "caseworker" and the info which they get is not accurate.

Wonder how many people ruin their applications on NCS info and never apply or get rejected and don't even know what they were entitled to... This forum is a jewel and senior members here are awesome.
In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

SouthWest1

Post by SouthWest1 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:15 pm

i am guessing that you tried to apply under the 6 years rule for EEA national or a family member, is this correct?

if that's the case, then it does not apply to you as you are divorced now and no longer a family member of an EU national

just wait 1 year from your PR issue date and apply. employment status won't be required.

sidhujazz

Post by sidhujazz » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:28 am

Agree with SouthWest1.

Parada
Newly Registered

Post by Parada » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:23 pm

This is what I did - applied one year after my PR card was issued (it was issued on 25.03. 2013 after 6 years here in uk, I waited one more year after that - April 2014, total seven years) I got divorced in Nov 2013, that is why I am suprised they are now asking me to prove it again, I only have payslips for last 5 years - save for 6 months in 2012, when I was out of a job. Don't want to give them a reason to reject me, I have another meeting booked for next week - what should I do?