ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tuberculosis test or chest X-ray for Tier 2 General visa

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jairichi
Newly Registered

Tuberculosis test or chest X-ray for Tier 2 General visa

Post by jairichi » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:57 pm

I am from India and currently working in US. I recently got a job offer from an university in UK. I am waiting for my employer to send me COS. I have been in US for more than 4 years now and my last trip to India was in April 2013 for a month. I am going to apply for Tier 2 General visa at UK consulate, Chicago. Do I need to provide a chest X-ray or tuberculosis test along with other supporting documents? On going through the instructions they do not have an authorized clinic in US where I can get the test done. I could get one through my health care provider in US and submit along with my application. Will that suffice?

Thank you in advance for your reply and help.

manci
Respected Guru

Re: Tuberculosis test or chest X-ray for Tier 2 General visa

Post by manci » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:10 am

jairichi
Newly Registered

Post by jairichi » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:05 pm

Thanks Manci for providing the link. But, my question still remains unanswered. By UK immigration law, being an Indian citizen I am required to provide a chest x-ray for tuberculosis. But being in US on a work visa I do not have an authorized clinic where I can get the test done. Is it fine if I apply for a Tier 2 general visa without an x-ray or with an x-ray from my health care provider who is not an authorized clinic according to UK immigration?

betvidi
Newly Registered

Post by betvidi » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:15 pm

Hi,

From the document above, it appears that the TB test is not nationality-specific but that they are only concerned about where you are entering the UK from (country of residence). The above doc clearly reads "Migrants applying to enter the UK for more than 6 months from the countries listed below...." and the US is not listed on it. (Note the word "from" means residence).

Furthermore,
1) I am not an expert and if you want, you can still give them a chest x-ray from any US center with a letter stating that you were not sure it was reqd and that there are no authorized centre in the US.
2) There is a chest x-ray facility at the Heathrow airport near the border control and should the UKBA officials there think you need an x-ray then they will send you to the centre right there to get one. It takes about 10 - 15 mins. This happened to me when I entered the UK in 2009 on a student visa. So, I don't think this x-ray must be a deciding factor given that you are residing in the US.

Please note, I am NOT an expert but just sharing my experience with the UKBA and what I interpret from the document posted above.

jairichi
Newly Registered

Post by jairichi » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:05 pm

Hi Betvidi,

Thanks for sharing your opinion. My understanding was the same like yours, "where from one enters UK and not country of birth". Just want to get an opinion to know whether my interpretation of law was right.When I was a student in France and when I entered UK in 2008 and 2009 as a short term visitor I was never asked for a x-ray.
1. Yes, I am planning to do so by getting a x-ray and doctor's report from my health care provider in US and attaching a cover letter along with my visa application. Better to attach it rather than being denied a visa for not having done so.
2. When I enter UK I will definitively carry the x-ray and doctor's report from US. If they are not happy with it and want to screen me again I will do as suggested by you.

Thanks again.

betvidi
Newly Registered

Post by betvidi » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:26 am

Hi,

I think the short-term student visa (called the Student Visitor visa) is issued for a period of maximum 6 months. The TB test is for people applying to stay for over 6 months. That's my understanding based on the document.

I have also been to the UK on a short-term student visa in 2008 and did not need an x-ray but needed one when I went on a Tier 4 student visa in 2009.

Cheers!

jairichi
Newly Registered

Post by jairichi » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:16 pm

Hi,

Yes, you are correct. I entered UK twice in 2008 and 2009 on a 6 month visitor visa and was never asked for a x-ray. Will update once I apply for my Tier 2 UK visa.

betvidi
Newly Registered

Post by betvidi » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:49 pm

Good Luck Jairichi! Fingers crossed!

Vids.rh
Newly Registered

Post by Vids.rh » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:54 am

Hi, I just noticed your conversation about taking a tuberculosis test for a visa application: were you able to get your visa and enter the UK successfully?

Sivakami
Newly Registered

Post by Sivakami » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:45 am

Hello,

I am in the same situation applying for a tier 2 visa from the USA. I wonder about the necessity for this TB test.

Thanks.