ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Brit/Aussie Child Re-entering UK on Australian Passport??

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

portersophia
Newly Registered

Brit/Aussie Child Re-entering UK on Australian Passport??

Post by portersophia » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:06 pm

Hi There,
My husband is British, and I am now a citizen too (I'm also Australian). Our son was born in Aust., and entered without any problem into UK with us when we returned (on his Aust. passport).
We are planning a trip to Italy, and just wonder what will happen if we try and re-enter him on his Aussie passport. We could get him a UK one, but would rather save the ££ - we don't need a visa for this trip, and it's only a short one.
Any advice out there?
Many thanks,
Sophia

maximux79

Re: Brit/Aussie Child Re-entering UK on Australian Passport?

Post by maximux79 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:59 am

Hello, As per VISA rules, Australian citizens are allowed to enter UK without VISA for 6 months for general purposes (Non-employment). SO, this explains why there was no question asked while entering UK (with you and yours husband holding British passport). But, now when you go for holiday and while returning (if its not within 6 months), questions may be asked. This will be the situation right up to the point when the child gets British passport or Visa rules changes.

portersophia wrote:Hi There,
My husband is British, and I am now a citizen too (I'm also Australian). Our son was born in Aust., and entered without any problem into UK with us when we returned (on his Aust. passport).
We are planning a trip to Italy, and just wonder what will happen if we try and re-enter him on his Aussie passport. We could get him a UK one, but would rather save the ££ - we don't need a visa for this trip, and it's only a short one.
Any advice out there?
Many thanks,
Sophia

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: Brit/Aussie Child Re-entering UK on Australian Passport?

Post by Jambo » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:33 am

Just carry his birth certificate with you. Legally British citizens are not required to enter using a British passport but might need to prove they are British. His birth certificate (and the parent passport) would do the trick if questions asked.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)