ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moving to contract jobs from permanent

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

itsme
Member of Standing

Moving to contract jobs from permanent

Post by itsme » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:19 am

Good morning everyone. After HSMP forums I found this board is very useful to assess pre & post job status etc.

Currently I am in one of the demandable skillsets ( read as Unix/Solaris ) and in a Permanent role. Looking to shift for contract roles ASAP.

Could someone one guide me how does the contract market's recruitment works. As I am on 4 weeks notice,due to availability issues its getting very difficult to grab a interview and every job consultant is interested in immediate availability......It would of great help if someone can give me advice on this...

There are loads and loads of jobs available, but getting tough....
Thanks in advance, any help would be appreciated.
You Can Win. Believe in Yourself.
---

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Moving to contract jobs from permanent

Post by Wanderer » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:09 pm

itsme wrote:Good morning everyone. After HSMP forums I found this board is very useful to assess pre & post job status etc.

Currently I am in one of the demandable skillsets ( read as Unix/Solaris ) and in a Permanent role. Looking to shift for contract roles ASAP.

Could someone one guide me how does the contract market's recruitment works. As I am on 4 weeks notice,due to availability issues its getting very difficult to grab a interview and every job consultant is interested in immediate availability......It would of great help if someone can give me advice on this...

That's the catch 22 in ur situation mate, contracting mean available now.

I'd tell the agent (don't trust any of them - ever) a pack of lies saying ur available now etc, and it you get the role, tell ur current employer ur log term sick or sth.

All fair in love and war! Never tell an agent the whole truth cos they won't tell you!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

itsme
Member of Standing

Post by itsme » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:21 pm

thats lovely, thanks a lot Wanderer for your quick and prompt reply;
What i have been trying to do is ,, giving 2 weeks notice.....to new consultants, and will somehow try to manage with current org.
let's see how it goes... thanks once again,am much motivated now.
cheers.
You Can Win. Believe in Yourself.
---

first2last4

Re: Moving to contract jobs from permanent

Post by first2last4 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:10 pm

Wanderer wrote:
itsme wrote:Good morning everyone. After HSMP forums I found this board is very useful to assess pre & post job status etc.

That's the catch 22 in ur situation mate, contracting mean available now.

I'd tell the agent (don't trust any of them - ever) a pack of lies saying ur available now etc, and it you get the role, tell ur current employer ur log term sick or sth.

All fair in love and war! Never tell an agent the whole truth cos they won't tell you!
Sick would mean unpaid leave and he is meant to be relaxing. But his NI and tax will reflect continued income.. which is catchy...
Knowledge which is concealed is lost -Hadith

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:18 pm

Mention that you have "a weeks" notice to the agent.

The general trend we follow is, for a vacant role we would ask the agent 4-5 CVs and shortlist 2-3 for interview and if it is very urgent shortlist a minimum of 2 earliest available candidates ready for interview and start.

So it is important to verbally commit 'earliest availability' to get through the first gate.

Whatever be the case, the whole process (shortlisting, interviews, offer & paper works) takes a minimum 8-12 working days for the new contractor to start, which is like two working weeks. This depends a lot on the size of the organisation and the whole recruitment channels in place as well.

Could someone one guide me how does the contract market's recruitment works. As I am on 4 weeks notice,due to availability issues its getting very difficult to grab a interview and every job consultant is interested in immediate availability