ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

GNIB stamp in passport - what is it?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jestew
Mood:
United States of America

GNIB stamp in passport - what is it?

Post by jestew » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:53 pm

Hi everyone,

I've just realized that since I'm american I can go from Ireland to the UK on the ferry (where there are never border agents) and apply directly for my RC with the EEA2 and not wait to get my FP from UKBA first like I was planning. Looking at the new revised EEA2 application it doesn't make sense to wait the 2 extra weeks.

However, I have one concern.

When I entered Ireland Dec 2013 to join my fiance (now wife) the GNIB agent at the airport stamped my passport and wrote a 6 digit number in it on the back page. He said that he's marked my passport that if I'm caught in the UK I will be deported to the USA and I will lose my right to enter Ireland or the UK.

Questions:
===
1) Can the UKBA really do that even though I'm now married?

2) Will applying for a FP change that?

3) Will applying for my RC change that?

Thanks!
09/05/14 EEA FP granted
26/08/14 EEA RP granted
23/08/19 SS Application submitted
24/09/19 Biometrics submitted
06/11/19: CoA
21/11/19: Email that Settled Status granted
22/11/19: BRC by courier

toofan
Member of Standing

Re: GNIB stamp in passport - what is it?

Post by toofan » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:57 pm

I am not sure about ferry that there are never border agents they have police and immigration checks sometimes .

usually that's GNIB number they write on passport .
You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.
<<<<<<<TOOFAN>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

jbminger
Ireland

Post by jbminger » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:28 am

What does the stamp say specifically?

That doesn't make sense to me that the GNIB agent told you that if you are caught in the UK that you would be deported. I've flown to Ireland from USA and landed in Dublin, traveled to Belfast and flew from Belfast to Liverpool.

Also, I currently have a EEA FP issued by the NY UKBA, the application took a little time to prepare, however the EEA FP was issued the day after they received it in the mail. Of course, it might take longer for you to have one issued, but I can't imagine it'd take too long if they application is complete and thorough.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:44 am

I suspect he just said that to scare you (in case you were thinking of entering the UK via Ireland to avoid immigration).

With the recent changes to Surinder Singh applications and the fact that you plan to move back after a relatively short period in Ireland, it might be better to apply for EEA FP before moving back. You don't want to start a long appeal process in the UK if they reject your application claiming you have not spent enough time in Ireland.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

jestew
Mood:
United States of America

Post by jestew » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:22 am

Jambo wrote:I suspect he just said that to scare you (in case you were thinking of entering the UK via Ireland to avoid immigration).

With the recent changes to Surinder Singh applications and the fact that you plan to move back after a relatively short period in Ireland, it might be better to apply for EEA FP before moving back. You don't want to start a long appeal process in the UK if they reject your application claiming you have not spent enough time in Ireland.
Thanks for that information, Jambo. Our original thought of return to the UK mid-May would mean that she was working in Ireland nearly 6 months. I guess it's discouraging thinking of that as a "relatively short period" - but I guess for UKBA that will be how they look at it.

If they do reject my FP application, then what? I've read that others file an appeal and then travel to the UK anyway and apply for EEA2 directly. Is that possible? Is that wise? I guess there are no general rules and every case is different.

People's opinions have been really helpful for me trying to sort all this out... Thanks again.
09/05/14 EEA FP granted
26/08/14 EEA RP granted
23/08/19 SS Application submitted
24/09/19 Biometrics submitted
06/11/19: CoA
21/11/19: Email that Settled Status granted
22/11/19: BRC by courier

toofan
Member of Standing

Post by toofan » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:43 am

whats the situation of EU citizen has he/she exercised eu treaty.
are you both married.
You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.
<<<<<<<TOOFAN>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:09 pm

jestew wrote:
Jambo wrote:I suspect he just said that to scare you (in case you were thinking of entering the UK via Ireland to avoid immigration).

Thanks for that information, Jambo. Our original thought of return to the UK mid-May would mean that she was working in Ireland nearly 6 months. I guess it's discouraging thinking of that as a "relatively short period" - but I guess for UKBA that will be how they look at it.

If they do reject my FP application, then what? I've read that others file an appeal and then travel to the UK anyway and apply for EEA2 directly. Is that possible? Is that wise? I guess there are no general rules and every case is different.

People's opinions have been really helpful for me trying to sort all this out... Thanks again.
Mid May might be OK. 6 months aught to be enough but I would recommend applying for EEA FP before moving back. At least if they refuse, you can choose either stay longer (if this is the reason for refusal) or move to the UK and apply (and appeal from there). If you move back you only have one option if refused.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)