ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I/WE go on the council waiting property list?

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

hoping
Newly Registered

Can I/WE go on the council waiting property list?

Post by hoping » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:34 am

Hello all,

I am a British Citizen and my wife is on her FLR till next year. Can I/we go on the council waiting list for a property? We do not have any children. I think we can, but we can not get a property any bigger than what I would if I was applying as a single person but I dont think a couple would be offered anything bigger than a 1 bedroomed anyhow? Im not sure? Hope someone can help and if anyone knows what I should put in the application ie "Please make me the main applicant and please consider my application as a single person and don't offer us a property any bigger than if I was a single person as my wife is subject to immigration control"

Hope someone can help?

Thanks all in advance!

theprideofpak

Re: Can I/WE go on the council waiting property list?

Post by theprideofpak » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:45 pm

I think going on council property waiting list and claiming housing benefits are 2 different things.
If you get a council house, you still have to pay the rent and council tax anyway, its the housing benefit which you don't want to go for as yet until your wife's ILR is sorted. Hope this will help you...thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Can I/WE go on the council waiting property list?

Post by Casa » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:47 pm

hoping - you've understood correctly.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.