ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU citizen travel to EU (frm Ireland) without passport

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Debub
Newly Registered

EU citizen travel to EU (frm Ireland) without passport

Post by Debub » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:01 pm

Hi - I have been recently naturalised and became an Irish citizen on 31st March 2014. I have applied for my Irish passport from the passport office in Ireland. I am booked for travelling to Germany/Switzerland (actually flying in and out of Zurich) on the 26th April (Saturday). According to the passport office I am scheduled to receive my passport at home on the 25th Of April (Friday) at the earliest, this will be cutting it too close for comfort.

Now my query is:
If I do not get my passport by the 25th, can I still travel?
As far as I understand. technically an EU national does not need a passport to travel within Europe if they have a valid ID. My German colleague travels back and forth using only her German id card and not her passport.
Now Ireland does not have a national ID card so the passport is required as residence proof, but as a naturalised citizen I have the citizenship certificate... is that (with my driving license as a backup) enough for me to travel to Europe?

Any comments are highly appreciated

I also have a ‘live’ Schengen visa on my Indian passport, but I am guessing that I cannot use that one as I am already an Irish citizen, therefore (as India does not allow dual citizenship) my Indian passport is not valid

Thanks

ban.s

Re: EU citizen travel to EU (frm Ireland) without passport

Post by ban.s » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:57 pm

you can't use citizenship certificate/driving licence for travel as they are not recognised travel documents.

you can use your indian passport and valid schengen visa for travel. the use of indian passport is allowed for a grace period of upto 3 months from the date of naturalisation. it doesn't get invalid automatically; you need to formally apply for renunciation.

however, I am not familiar with irish residence permits so if the authorities have cancelled it upon your naturalisation then airlines will not allow you to travel back from zurich. (e.g. UK ILR doesn't get invalidated on naturalisation though it becomes irrelevant).

Debub
Newly Registered

Post by Debub » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:39 pm

thanks ban.s for your comment.
My Irish residence permit has been cancelled, but I spoke to Irish immigration and they said that coming back into Ireland is not a problem as my citizenship cert is good enough for them to let me in.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:53 pm

there are two steps involved here:

arrival to an Irish border
entering into ireland from the border.

the latter should not be any problem but without a valid visa/residence permit or an Irish/EU passport airlines will unlikely allow you to travel from Zurich.