ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel to UK after applying for HSMP

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

talk2ravi

Travel to UK after applying for HSMP

Post by talk2ravi » Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:53 am

Hi,

I applied for UK migration under the HSMP program last month.

My employer is unaware of this and they might ask me to travel the UK on a business visa or Work permit visa for couple of months to execute a project there.

My question is

IS IT LEGAL TO TRAVEL ON A WP/Business visa AFTER APPLYING FOR HSMP?

Please help.

Cheers,
Ravi

Phantom
Newly Registered

Post by Phantom » Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:22 am

I'm not sure about WP but it should be perfectly fine to travel on a business visa.

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:59 am

I don't think there is a problem with either.
You can get your WP and work in the UK until the HSMP is approved and you decide what to do.
You can enter the country with any "entry clearance" regardless of the applications. You might need to disclose that information when requesting the entry clearance, WP and HSMP are inmigration cathegories conducing to settlement....business visa might not...check that.

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:11 am

Time spent on business visa does not count towards settlement.

Consider this; After coming here on a business visa, suppose you want to change your visa category to that of HSMP and want to apply for leave to remain?... I dont think you will be allowed to switch in country. They will ask you to obtain EC back from India. You can however do an in-country switch from your WP to HSMP.

Maybe it would be a good idea to let them (employers) know you already have an HSMP approval and can get immediate EC clearence. If you are able to work for your current employers in the UK for a few months it will help you show economic activity in your first year while you look for a good oppurtunity.

talk2ravi

Travel to the UK

Post by talk2ravi » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:58 am

Hi All,

There are couple of companies in the UK who are ready to sponser my WP. I have already told them about the HSMP but looks like they want to know if my HSMP is guarenteed .

I request the senior members/moderators to confirm that its ok to travel to the UK on WP after applying for HSMP.

Thanks,
Ravi

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:09 am

I dont see any reason why not. Your HSMP application is made by you. Your work permit will be issued by the HO on behalf of your future employer. There is no conflict in that. You dont already have an approval, do you? Get you work permit and go to the UK. You can wait for the results of the HSMP application whil you are in the UK (maybe even fax them the employment offer from the employer). If the HSMP approval is in your favour, well and good. If not, then you still have a work permit.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:42 pm

i agree with Mwasir, it best you jump on to this safety net and get travel into the UK, not only that but also to start your new job a.s.a.p. I suppose what you could do could depending on how long the job offer is for, cause you could go the "urgent treatment" option, and if that fails you could then try the WP route. boy dont i wish i was spoilt for choice like you.

bani

Re: Travel to the UK

Post by bani » Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:16 am

Hi Ravi. If your application is already with HO for 6 weeks, you can ask for urgent processing (takes about two weeks from my experience). All you need to do is fax a job offer letter from your chosen company. If they can wait.

Otherwise, just have them apply for the workpermit for you to travel and start working in the UK. Your HSMP application will be processed after a total of 6 mos. maybe and you can switch to HSMP from WP.
talk2ravi wrote:Hi All,

There are couple of companies in the UK who are ready to sponser my WP. I have already told them about the HSMP but looks like they want to know if my HSMP is guarenteed .

I request the senior members/moderators to confirm that its ok to travel to the UK on WP after applying for HSMP.

Thanks,
Ravi