ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

schengen visa

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

SMOOTH OPERATOR

schengen visa

Post by SMOOTH OPERATOR » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:31 pm

hi all

i got a few questions for anyone who can answer me. i have been reading about going to schengen countries without a visa and do not seem to understand it.

i have thought of these alternatives beacuse of not know the waiting time for a Schengen processing.

1. me and my wife want to go to france for our honeymoon in august but i was just issued with a 2 yrs spouse visa over a week ago is it possible to go without a schengen visa the schengen countries under the EU or Schengen Directives or not

2. is it possible to go to any EU state without a visa and excercise a treaty and if possible which treaty can me or my wife exercise.

3. any clue on how long it take for a postal application to the french embassy.

4. will i not be turned down as i have just got a spouse visa.

thanks for your time

SMOOTH OPERATOR

schengen visa

Post by SMOOTH OPERATOR » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:08 pm

any help please

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:34 pm

Smooth - what are your nationalities and what country are you presently living in? That is worth knowing. I presume you are from a country whose citizens require a visa to visit the Schengen area and that you are currently in the UK - but are my assumptions correct?

Be patient: someone will be along who can help, I'm sure.

flyboy
Member of Standing
Switzerland

Post by flyboy » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:39 pm

Have a read through the following link in regard to your 1st and 2nd question :

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=15545

mym
Member of Standing

Re: schengen visa

Post by mym » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:43 pm

What nationality is your wife?

Go and read

http://ec.europa.eu/commission_barroso/ ... _ec_en.pdf
--
Mark Y-M
London

SMOOTH OPERATOR

schengen visa

Post by SMOOTH OPERATOR » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:03 pm

im a nigerian and my wife british

thanks 4 ur time

SMOOTH OPERATOR

schengen visa

Post by SMOOTH OPERATOR » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:13 pm

and i live in the Uk. does the EU & Schengen visa countries see the 2yrs spouse visa as a residence permit or not

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:21 pm

SMOOTH OPERATOR wrote:and i live in the Uk. does the EU & Schengen visa countries see the 2yrs spouse visa as a residence permit or not
Fraid not mate
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:31 pm

SMOOTH OPERATOR wrote:im a nigerian and my wife british

thanks 4 ur time
Best you start looking into applying for a Schengen visa, Smooth Operator! And the sooner the better, if you intend to go away in August.

SMOOTH OPERATOR

Schengen visa

Post by SMOOTH OPERATOR » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:14 am

hi guys,

i want 2 thank u all for the information u gave to me on the Schengen visa. i sent my application on the 19th of july 2007 and it arrived this morning 24th of july 2007. The French embassy issued me with a 90 days multiple entry starting from today.

thanks

SMOOTH OPERATOR

Schengen visa

Post by SMOOTH OPERATOR » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:17 am

mistake i meant a 6 months visa

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:22 am

Congratulations. The French embassy is usually the best when it comes to issuing Schengen visas. Before I became a British citizen, they always used to issue me a 1 year multiple-entry Schengen visa. Compare that to embassies like the Dutch who always only issue single-entry visas for the EXACT period of your trip. Stingy bastards.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:00 pm

Congrats, Smooth Operator! Hope you have a lovely honeymoon...

Christophe
Diamond Member

Re: Schengen visa

Post by Christophe » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:27 pm

SMOOTH OPERATOR wrote: i want 2 thank u all for the information u gave to me on the Schengen visa. i sent my application on the 19th of july 2007 and it arrived this morning 24th of july 2007. The French embassy issued me with a 90 days multiple entry starting from today.
Enjoy your "lune de miel en la belle France"!

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:32 pm

Smooth Operator, Congrats and that is indeed great news! What all documents did you have to submit? Only the passports and your marriage certificate and the application form? Or was anything else submitted as well?
Jabi

SMOOTH OPERATOR

Schengen visa

Post by SMOOTH OPERATOR » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:23 am

hi all

thanks a lot

Docterror

I submitted:

Application Form with two Passport Photo (But one Passport Photo was returned)
My Passport
Her British Passport
Our Marriage Certificate
Prepaid Next day delivery Envelope

Copy of my Passport's Data Page
Copy of my Spouse Visa page
Copy of my Wife's British Passport Data Page
Copy of Our Marriage Certificate

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:14 am

Smooth operator, thanks for the information. Just wanted the confirmation, that was all. Have a nice holiday!
Jabi

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:31 pm

Dawie wrote:Congratulations. The French embassy is usually the best when it comes to issuing Schengen visas. Before I became a British citizen, they always used to issue me a 1 year multiple-entry Schengen visa. Compare that to embassies like the Dutch who always only issue single-entry visas for the EXACT period of your trip. Stingy bastards.
Wonder which Schengen embassy would be the best for couples in a Civil partnership?
Jabi

flyboy
Member of Standing
Switzerland

Post by flyboy » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:16 am

Docterror, the following link might be of some use , regarding your last post .

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=13091

mym
Member of Standing

Post by mym » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:16 am

Docterror wrote:
Wonder which Schengen embassy would be the best for couples in a Civil partnership?
"The Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Lithuania, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom have informed the Commission that they recognise registered partnerships as equivalent to marriage for the purposes of free movement."

I hear the Netherlands are helpful.
--
Mark Y-M
London

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:50 am

flyboy, mym- thanks for the reply! While I do know now which all countries confer free visas to Civil partners, I was just wondering out loud which was 'the best' .i.e- the quickest, most 'generous', accepts postal applications etc for such cases.

mym, the last time that I did help for to apply for at the Dutch embassy, they ended up giving a 1 month visa for a 2 week business conference! Do agree with Dawie about them. They are not always as generous as they were with flyboy.
Jabi

mym
Member of Standing

Post by mym » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:08 pm

Docterror wrote:flyboy, mym- thanks for the reply! While I do know now which all countries confer free visas to Civil partners, I was just wondering out loud which was 'the best' .i.e- the quickest, most 'generous', accepts postal applications etc for such cases.

mym, the last time that I did help for to apply for at the Dutch embassy, they ended up giving a 1 month visa for a 2 week business conference! Do agree with Dawie about them. They are not always as generous as they were with flyboy.
My understanding of the Directive is that - for those countries that recognise CPs - you should be able to just turn up at their border with the two passports and a copy of the Civil Partnership Registration and be let in. Good test cases need to be made IMO...
--
Mark Y-M
London

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:48 pm

mym wrote:My understanding of the Directive is that - for those countries that recognise CPs - you should be able to just turn up at their border with the two passports and a copy of the Civil Partnership Registration and be let in. Good test cases need to be made IMO...
I wish that had been true. I spend a good time with the border police at Tenerife (south) arguing about this same thing. But according to them, it would have been possible from 31.04.2006 till the 16.02.2007 since when the Royal Decree 240/2007 came into effect and "overrode" the Directive 2004/38/EC. And the wording of (4) of Article 4 the Royal Decree states, and I quote-
4. If a citizen of a European Union Member State or of another state party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area or a family member of that citizen does not have the travel documents or visa (if applicable) required to enter Spanish territory, the Spanish border control authorities must, before returning these persons, give them maximum facilities enabling them to obtain or receive the necessary documents within a reasonable time limit or to confirm or prove by other means that they come under the scope of application of this Royal Decree, provided that the lack of the travel document is the only reason preventing them from entering Spanish territory.
The scope of the Royal Decree in this case being paragraph 2 of the same article which reads-
2.... Family members of an EU citizen who produce a valid residence permit issued by one of the States implementing in full the Schengen agreement of 14 June 1985 concerning the gradual abolition of controls at common borders and its implementing rules shall be exempt from the requirement to obtain the entry visa and shall not be required to have their passports stamped when entering or leaving the country
So, according to them, only "Schengen nationals" and their family members need to be given admission into Spain even if they arrive without a visa, while the non-Schengen ones, like UK, Lithuania, Switzerland etc. do not enjoy the same previledge!

Don't shoot the messenger! Someone has to take this up with Madrid or the EC.

(They also mentioned quite mischeiviously that when the "new EU" countries will also become (possibly) Schengen by the end of the year, our family members (Irish included) along with the Romanians and Bulgarians will be the only EU ones whose visa they will need to check. Guess they forgot Cyprus!)
Last edited by Docterror on Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabi

mym
Member of Standing

Post by mym » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:19 pm

Good grief. Did you lodge that example with Solvit etc?

Asserting that a national law overrides a Directive is a classic case for a specific complaint I'd have thought.

I don't suppose "give them maximum facilities enabling them to obtain or receive the necessary documents within a reasonable time limit" includes issuing the visa there and then?...

So what happened in Tenerife (South)?
--
Mark Y-M
London

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:23 pm

mym wrote:I don't suppose "give them maximum facilities enabling them to obtain or receive the necessary documents within a reasonable time limit" includes issuing the visa there and then?...
According to them... applies only to the Schengen countries!
So what happened in Tenerife (South)?
Got a tan! 8)
Jabi