ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

wandabws
Newly Registered

ILR

Post by wandabws » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:18 pm

how long is one meant to stay with a partner before being issued with ILR or excemption to stay. My partner is Australian with right of abode in UK. We are not ready to get married yet.
Last edited by wandabws on Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:44 pm

They would have to be very special circumstances indeed - rare as well.

Do you qualify for HSMP?
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

sakura
Diamond Member

Re: Indefinate leave

Post by sakura » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:53 pm

wandabws wrote:Can anyone help
I came to UK with a student visa, thereafter changed to science and engineering residence visa that is running out soon. I wish to apply for ILR but have only been in UK for 8 years, have to wait for 2 more years to qualify. I am not very interested in a work permit as it will restrict my working and also not allow me to study. I did not spend my last year of my science graduate visa looking for an employer , instead i studies further for a Masters of Philosophy which is almost half of a PhD to increase my future earning potential . I am interested to know examples of special circumstances which an individual can get an ILR before 10 years of legal stay.any one who has a clue?
What visa are you on now, and what are you currently doing? (Sorry am a bit confused.)
It's 10 years' legal residency if you're on a student visa. No concessions for you on that.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:09 pm

sakura wrote:
I came to UK with a student visa, thereafter changed to science and engineering residence visa that is running out soon. I wish to apply for ILR but have only been in UK for 8 years, have to wait for 2 more years to qualify. I am not very interested in a work permit as it will restrict my working and also not allow me to study. I did not spend my last year of my science graduate visa looking for an employer , instead i studies further for a Masters of Philosophy which is almost half of a PhD to increase my future earning potential . I am interested to know examples of special circumstances which an individual can get an ILR before 10 years of legal stay.any one who has a clue?
What visa are you on now, and what are you currently doing? (Sorry am a bit confused.)
It's 10 years' legal residency if you're on a student visa. No concessions for you on that.
Is it not 10 years legal stay on ANY visa?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:19 pm

Wanderer wrote:
sakura wrote:
Is it not 10 years legal stay on ANY visa?
Oh to be accurate all the time! Yes that is correct, I was just too lazy to write it! :oops:

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:25 pm

There can be exceptions, but they are few and far between. Do you think that there are any special circumstances? Do you have a partner in the UK? Children? Anything in your home country which may assist an application to stay on compassionate grounds?

Victoria
Going..going...gone!