ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I live outside Ireland or Europe and retain my Irish C?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Conejo77
Newly Registered

Can I live outside Ireland or Europe and retain my Irish C?

Post by Conejo77 » Thu May 01, 2014 6:50 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a question: Can I reside outside Ireland (or Europe) and retain my Irish Citizenship?

It seems a silly question, but I got a few job offers in America and the only thing that stops me is I'm applying for naturalisation/citizenship in Ireland. My wife is Irish and she's willing to move as the job market doesn't improve for us.

Does anyone knows if it's possible to move just after I get Irish citizenship without loosing my newly acquired rights?

Cheers

Conejo77

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Can I live outside Ireland or Europe and retain my Irish

Post by chaoclive » Fri May 02, 2014 6:01 am

It seems that you will need to register if you have lived outside Ireland for 7 years:

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Form%205 ... 02014).pdf. If the link doesn't open you can search for: "DECLARATION OF INTENTION TO RETAIN IRISH CITIZENSHIP BY A NATURALISED IRISH CITIZEN RESIDING OUTSIDE IRELAND" in Google.

See here: http://www.immigrationboards.com/irelan ... 07155.html

Conejo77
Newly Registered

Post by Conejo77 » Mon May 05, 2014 12:37 am

Hi chaoclive,

Thanks for the link. I'll use it if I have an opportunity to work overseas. Cheers ;)

Conejo77
Newly Registered

Post by Conejo77 » Mon May 05, 2014 1:12 pm

Hi fellow members,

Now I'm a bit confused... on the Form 14: "Declaration of intention to retain Irish citizenship by a naturalised Irish citizen residing outside Ireland", it says to fill it out every year,... where did the 7 years number come from / what is it in reference to?

Example: if I live outside the country for 6 years, then I don't have to fill it out (until I reach the 7th year mark)?
or do I have to fill it out since the beginning of my 1st year outside Ireland?

Also, is there a limit of years/times that this form can be submitted before they revoke your Irish citizenship?

The thing is, job wise, Ireland is just not picking up, and better job offers are being made for me in America.

In my case I'm going to be a happy father in a few months and I would like my parents and my in-laws to be able to visit us as often as they want (which can only be possible if we are close to them), at least while they are still around; once they are gone we want to come back to Ireland (because we really love this country).

I appreciate your advice,

Cheers.

Conejo

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Mon May 05, 2014 1:59 pm

If you read the first part of the form: "Section 19 (1) (c) of the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act 1956, as amended, provides that the Minister for Justice and Equality may revoke a certificate of naturalisation if he is satisfied that (except in the case of a certificate of naturalisation which is issued to a person of Irish descent or associations) the person to whom it is granted has been ordinarily resident outside the State or, in the case of an application for a certificate of naturalisation granted under section 15A, resident outside the island of Ireland (otherwise than in the public service) for a continuous period of seven years and without reasonable excuse has not during that period registered annually in the prescribed manner (using this form) his/her name and a declaration of his/her intention to retain Irish citizenship with an Irish diplomatic mission or consular office or with the Minister."

It does need to be returned every year after the 7 continuous years outside Ireland.

It seems that the form is to be used to inform them. If you inform them then it won't be an issue. If you stop informing them they could (in theory, but unlikely in practice) renounce citizenship. I'd comply with the rules if I was in that situation.

Conejo77
Newly Registered

Post by Conejo77 » Mon May 05, 2014 10:14 pm

Hi Chaoclive,

Thanks for the answer! I really appreciate it.

;)