ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 - English Language Test

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system. This route is now closed to new applicants.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

amritkapoor
Newly Registered

Tier 1 - English Language Test

Post by amritkapoor » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:50 pm

My mom will be applying for UK Entrepreneur Visa. To ensure, her business idea is viable she is going to come to UK on a visitor Visa. Would appreciate if I can get some clarity on below:

- For english language: Can she do "ESOL skills for life Entry 3" exam while she is in UK and attach with the application that she will make from India? i.e.

1) Is "ESOL skills for life Entry 3" a valid exam for Tier 1 Enterpreneur Visa?

2) Can you please advise about the curriculum for this exam? As at some websites, it says it comprises of Reading, Writing, Learning and Speaking and upon enquiry from "Learning Resource Network" (LRN) centres within UK, they have advised that it only comprises of Speaking and Listening. Is LRN a valid body to conduct this exam and will home office accept their certificate?

3) Can she take the exam being on visitor Visa in UK? and will that be valid for the application to be submitted in India?

Thanks

umarjee4u
Newly Registered

Re: Tier 1 - English Language Test

Post by umarjee4u » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:59 pm

yes, as visitor in UK, your mum can take English test exam but not English tution or class in UK. It is confirmed by UKBA as i have contacted them when i had this issue and they send me in email to confirm. For tier 1, you can take ESOL B1 test which is require for this application. Hope it willl help.

amritkapoor
Newly Registered

Post by amritkapoor » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:18 pm

Many Thanks for your reply.

I tried sending home office emails but no replies. I actually even contacted their home office paid service phone number but after spending £20, they were not able to provide the information. Bunch of cr***

My confusion is for the exam "ESOL skills for life Entry 3". As per the home office guide, this exam should give B1 level of English test and is valid. The same document states that this test comprises of reading, writing, speaking and listening.

I inquired within UK and all of the test centre says that "ESOL skills for life Entry 3" only has speaking and listening test from which you should get B1 level certificate. I am extremely confused if this is the correct paper/exam.

Please advise

NAR

Post by NAR » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:28 pm

amritkapoor wrote:Many Thanks for your reply.

I tried sending home office emails but no replies. I actually even contacted their home office paid service phone number but after spending £20, they were not able to provide the information. Bunch of cr***

My confusion is for the exam "ESOL skills for life Entry 3". As per the home office guide, this exam should give B1 level of English test and is valid. The same document states that this test comprises of reading, writing, speaking and listening.

I inquired within UK and all of the test centre says that "ESOL skills for life Entry 3" only has speaking and listening test from which you should get B1 level certificate. I am extremely confused if this is the correct paper/exam.

Please advise
When i checked this, Level B1 would be either Cambridge KET (Pass with Distinction) or Cambridge PET (Borderline). The ESOL skills for life is for already residence.

However,Entry 3 can be done with Reading & Writing, based on Trinity College site:

"Entry 3 can be taken as a standalone Speaking & Listening exam or a four-skills exam in reading, writing, speaking and listening."

Check here: http://www.trinitycollege.co.uk/site/?id=3026

But i think Cambridge PET could be easier as its only pass on borderline level. Note that PET is not offered all the time, i think once a month in most centers in the UK so plan ahead and there are sample tests online if she would like to try them out.

Hope this helps...

amritkapoor
Newly Registered

Post by amritkapoor » Thu May 01, 2014 11:00 pm

Many Thanks.

Read the home office guidelines again in detail and it seems .. both the options are valid . i.e. a) Test with writing, speaking, listening and speaking or b) Speaking and Listening

Refer below for details. For reference in case it helps someone else

Refer to the “Result” on your Statement of Results:
  • Reading – Pass
    Writing – Pass
    Speaking & Listening – Pass
For Speaking & Listening:
  • Speak to Communicate – Borderline
    Listen and Respond – Borderline
    Engage in Discussion – Borderline

NAR

Post by NAR » Fri May 02, 2014 7:26 am

You mention Tier 1 Ent.

Check latest Policy Guidance point 165:

"You must check that you have passed an English language test that is still within its validity period, and have achieved or exceeded level B1 of the Council of Europe’s Common European Framework for Language learning in all four components (reading, writing, speaking and listening)."

I think ALL four components are required and not optional. I think you may read guidance for later and not initial application.