ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Terrible Experience at London Heathrow Airport

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system. This route is now closed to new applicants.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Entrepreneur9
Member of Standing

Terrible Experience at London Heathrow Airport

Post by Entrepreneur9 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:54 pm

While returning back from India after 3.5 months, I was asked a number of questions at the London Airport. I felt as though I am a criminal or have done something illegal.

Officer: What Visa have you got?
Me: Tier-1 Entrepreneur Visa

Officer: What is your business?
Me: We provide IT services in local area

Officer: There are already so many companies in your area, how will you compete with them? how are you different from them? how much have you invested so far?
Me: £2k to 3k

Officer: where are the remaining funds? will you be able to log in to your account and show me the available funds?
Me: Funds are in my account in India and yes I can login and show you the funds

Officer: Why are the funds in India? Why not in UK?
Me: Funds will be transferred as and when required by the business

Officer: Why havent you invested £50k yet? Where will you invest? how will you invest? how long were you away?
Me: I was away for 3.5 months

Officer: Was your business active while you were away?
Me: No, I do not have any employees at present and as I was away I was not in a position to be active in the business

Officer: I am not convinced with your answers and I need to investigate further and ask you further questions. I am also in the position to curtail your visa and send you back home.

I was asked to wait in the waiting area while the officer returns back. My passport and visa and other documents were held by the officer.

After 20-25 she came back and told me that "I will let you go this time however I have called the HMRC and UKBA to keep an eye on you"

Guys the reason I am sharing this story with you to make you aware so that you are prepared in advance.

tanvir1985th
Member of Standing

Re: Terrible Experience at London Heathrow Airport

Post by tanvir1985th » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:10 am

thx ever so much for sharing yr experience. it was a hell of experience

Olasunkanmi
Diamond Member

Post by Olasunkanmi » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:41 am

3.5months holiday without business trading, thats a big risk you took. How can a business survive when director take such long holiday. You are very lucky to have got just a warning, it could have been outright refusal of entry back to UK.
The key to success is knowledge and hardwork, and to have faith.

Entrepreneur9
Member of Standing

Post by Entrepreneur9 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:38 am

Olasunkanmi wrote:3.5months holiday without business trading, thats a big risk you took. How can a business survive when director take such long holiday. You are very lucky to have got just a warning, it could have been outright refusal of entry back to UK.

Hi Olasunkanmi , yes I agree with you that it was a long holiday. But I had no other option as my mother was not keeping well and had family problems. I took a big risk but I knew that whatever happens at the Airport (whether im in or out) will be for a good reason and I was totally prepared for that.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:28 am

They can ask whatever they want I'm afraid. It is unfortunate that sometimes staff are inadequately trained or lack interpersonal skills.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Kumar197

Post by Kumar197 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:03 pm

How many weeks are allowed to stay outside UK on this category?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:31 pm

PBS applicants should not exceed 180 days absence in any 12 month period.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

MNaveedonline

Post by MNaveedonline » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:35 am

If we Allow to stay 6 months outside the UK on T1 Enterprenuer visa within 12 months then Why immigration officer ask strict questions and allow to curtial T1 visa.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:54 am

Amber_ wrote:It is unfortunate that sometimes staff are inadequately trained or lack interpersonal skills.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Olasunkanmi
Diamond Member

Post by Olasunkanmi » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:10 am

Even if tier1 entrepreneur visa holders are allowed to stay for up to 6months outside the UK every year, its common sense to know that the condition of this particular visa is solely to be active in business, so if you plan to spend 6months outside UK, someone should be on ground to continue trading activities and these could be either business partner (team member) or staff member of the business.
There are some visa holders who just ignore basic rules and such people make life miserable for others who get categorised as not being genuine entrepreneurs.
The key to success is knowledge and hardwork, and to have faith.

osmanshaikh2014
Newly Registered

Post by osmanshaikh2014 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:42 am

Entrepreneur9 wrote:While returning back from India after 3.5 months, I was asked a number of questions at the London Airport. I felt as though I am a criminal or have done something illegal.

Officer: There are already so many companies in your area, how will you compete with them? how are you different from them? how much have you invested so far?

Officer: where are the remaining funds? will you be able to log in to your account and show me the available funds?

Officer: Why havent you invested £50k yet? Where will you invest? how will you invest? how long were you away?

Me: No, I do not have any employees at present and as I was away I was not in a position to be active in the business

Officer: I am not convinced with your answers and I need to investigate further and ask you further questions. I am also in the position to curtail your visa and send you back home.

I was asked to wait in the waiting area while the officer returns back. My passport and visa and other documents were held by the officer.

After 20-25 she came back and told me that "I will let you go this time however I have called the HMRC and UKBA to keep an eye on you"

Guys the reason I am sharing this story with you to make you aware so that you are prepared in advance.
MUST MUST READ ALL, I WROTE THIS FOR MY OWN BROTHERS AND SISTERS AND I HAVE SHARED MY OWN STORY AT THE END While i was Stopped in FRANCE.

Hi GUYS, PLEASE Never Panic to Heathrow. They are there to JUST give u a presentation to show that they are Tough. You have been granted Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa.

If i would have been at your place.

To his Question that can You log in to your account and show me the availability of Funds. I will say ASK me in Written and I will log In to my account to show you the funds. ( REMEMBER: Immigration officer at Terminals can only see to what they have been authorized access to SEE. YES they have full access to our Immigration history in UK. No Body should Lie to every known happenings during his immigration history. They cannot ask you to log into the account to see your available funds. Remember this is Serious Breach of Your Data Confidentiality and He can Never force you to this. Even They cannot access your account details by a Direct contact with your Bank here in UK. When you submit a bank statement to UK border Agency. They cannot verify Even a single Transaction Outside the dates of your Statement which you have provided. For Example. If you provide a statement starting 1st jan, 2013 to 28th Jan, 2013. They do not have access to what is your balance on 29th Jan. If they Come to know about your balance on 29th Jan, Which you have never disclosed, BANK will be a in a Breach of data Confidentiality. YES we do have rights in this country like other citizens EXCEPT ACCESS to public Funds or Work in Dentist Profession/Dr.

Why the Funds have not been invested yet? This is my Money, Investment of my Money is my Stake. This does not or will not harm someone else, So i will invest the money when i will see a right time & need to invest the remaining money. Even a child will not spend his pocket Money in one Go. How come are u expecting from me to Invest the 50 K in one Go?????? Is there any RULE / Policy that i HAVE to invest the money in a go?????

You gave a perfect Answer to Why the funds are in India?

Guys When They threat you to curtail your Visa, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Be BOLD and say " Officer you got a full right to Investigate, so please go Get a Coffee, go to your office and spend a good time on your computer and investigate in a best way, so that i do not face a similar Investigation everytime i enter your country & please get me a Tea or Coffee as well. Thank You.

This Level of Confidence will automatically give him a signal that his harassment is not going to work at the moment.

HE CANNOT CANNOT CANNOT curtail your VISA.......... UNTIL you are in a serious breach of your Visa Conditions

I will say that he is tired of facing so many passengers, checking their passports, stamping their passports, questioning them ( Part of their training to give a unfriendly gesture just to show that they can be Tough or they are tough.

He will Pick any one for detailed Questioning, to get a bit of relieve from what he is doing, checking passports, stamping, questionning, etc...He just want to walk around, waste some of his time here and there and then back to his chair. and YES they also want to show to their seniors that they are Active and working, THATS IT.

My Experience: TRUE

I went to france ( paris ) for two days and One Night. Enjoyed my trip. Had train at 9:30pm. Presented my Passport to immigration @ 9:10 ( Officer should simply stamp it and at 2 min walk i can catch the train ). BUT because we have to FACE UK IMMIGRATION while you are Taking EXIT from France ( No Immigration check when you reach London train Station), So now he is gonna pick someone for his chill programme.

I have faced their questioning exactly 3 times prior to this situation ( I have taken 7 journeys to my home in last 5 years )

Officer: You should have Presented your passport by 9am.
Me: I am sorry, If i am late, But can i please see where have you mentioned this that passengers taking exit from France should present their passports to Immigration by 9am.

Officer: Look their it says, Boarding will close 30 min prior to Departure and its 9:10 and your train is at 9:30
ME: Alright, But you have just stamped that French speaking person's passports at 9:08. This boarding/immigration desk should have closed by 9:00 am with a sign board saying we are close & also what are you going to do with the long queue behind me ( about 15 of the remaining passengers for boarding.)

ANOTHER OFFICER INTERVENED: Took my passport from him, and SAID MR XYZ....Please come with me. ( at a two step distance ) he said to me that He need to Go through my passport for some investigation and i will have to wait for 5 minutes.

I kept waiting while he was in his office, I was literally sitting with the wall of his office, after 10 minutes, i had left just 5 minutes to catch the train to London. I knocked on the Wooden Wall of his office cabin, He came out.

Officer: Did you just knock
Me: YES, I did, I would miss my train if i did not step towards train in next minute.
Officer: MR XYZ, unfortunately you will not be able to catch this train and you will have to wait.

Me: Why, Whats the problem, havn't you finished checking my passport yet?
Officer did not reply and went back to his office,

I was in doubt that he never got into investigating my passport and he would have just kept my passport on his desk and chilling.
( My doubt was right, Read next please)
I knocked again and no reply. I was sure i have missed my train and wasted my Ticket ( 125 pounds return Ticket ).

He came out of his office with 4 officers and said to me that MR XYZ we have investigated and its alright, you can catch the train in the morning.

I was literally angry, I controlled my anger and spoke to him straight away, that You never used my passport for Investigation, You Just did not want me to catch this train because you did not like my questionning to your Mate sitting over there ( Who said to me that you are late for boarding )

You have wasted my Ticket and Your Office is going to buy me another ticket for next train. He Refused & walked away.

I found myself in a terrible situation, I walked behind him, till he was very very close to other passengers and said in loud voice, that you did not like me the way i deal with you mate on immigration desk, you never investigated my passport, You just wanted to take revenge on behalf of your colleague, Once i reach London, I am going to Write to METRO, BBC and other newspapers the way i have been dealth at the airport and You Should must get ready with your INVESTIGATION report which you have prepared after browsing my passport to defend my report to the authorities.

Believe me, He turned back, and went back to his office and said " Mr XYZ, keep this and give it to the ticket office which will open at 6am and they will issue you a ticket to your destination free of charge. At 7:00 we have next train for London.

I was in relief because i was only concerned with this at that moment that i do not want to spend money on ticket.

I waited all night long in close surrounding of the Gare Du Nord International Train Station. A French Student who was receptionist in a nearby hotel, Let me wait in his sitting area till morning as it was really really cold and boaring out there at train station.

at 6:00 i was at train station, went straight to the Ticket office and showed him the Paper from immigration and my expired ticket and he issued me a new return ticket without any charge. At 6:30 i Presented my passport to Immigration desk, This time being dealt by a lady, Who looked at my passport details

Lady Officer: Mr XYZ you were refused boarding last night,
Me: YES,
LAdy officer: Why?
I knew it, that she is going to react almost similar to what the Male officer did last night
Me: Officer, if you know that i was refused boarding last night, then you should know why i was refused boarding last night as your colleague spent 30 minutes to investigate my passport.
Lady Officer: Give me my passport back, and told me to wait aside and dealt with 10-15 more passengers next in que and told me to come with her, it was 6:50 almost and i knew it what is exactly going to happen which is i am not going by train at even 7:00 and this is another intentional delay.

Lady officer: Came out, She already at a another Return Ticket for 7:30 in her hand and I finally Took a train to London.

What i suffered, was i had to stay awake all night and had to reach job straight after reaching London ( But I took off early and finished work by 3pm)

Conclusion: They just want to cause delays, Want to show their authorities, Want to show they can be tough, or they are tough.

UNFORTUNATELY, There is nothing we can do, UNTILL we have Extremely Selfish, and Corrupt POLITICIANS in out country.

ONCE again, STAY CONFIDENT & BOLD because we ARE Contributing to their economy by paying taxes and NOT TAKING even a single Penny from them. and they should deal us accordingly,

Thank You.

Entrepreneur9
Member of Standing

Post by Entrepreneur9 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:22 pm

osmanshaikh2014 - thanks for sharing your experience, really appreciated :)

samaygrg

Post by samaygrg » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:52 pm

osmanshaikh2014 wrote:
Entrepreneur9 wrote:While returning back from India after 3.5 months, I was asked a number of questions at the London Airport. I felt as though I am a criminal or have done something illegal.

MUST MUST READ ALL, I WROTE THIS FOR MY OWN BROTHERS AND SISTERS AND I HAVE SHARED MY OWN STORY AT THE END While i was Stopped in FRANCE.

Hi GUYS, PLEASE Never Panic to Heathrow. They are there to JUST give u a presentation to show that they are Tough. You have been granted Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa.

If i would have been at your place.

To his Question that can You log in to your account and show me the availability of Funds. I will say ASK me in Written and I will log In to my account to show you the funds. ( REMEMBER: Immigration officer at Terminals can only see to what they have been authorized access to SEE. YES they have full access to our Immigration history in UK. No Body should Lie to every known happenings during his immigration history. They cannot ask you to log into the account to see your available funds. Remember this is Serious Breach of Your Data Confidentiality and He can Never force you to this. Even They cannot access your account details by a Direct contact with your Bank here in UK. When you submit a bank statement to UK border Agency. They cannot verify Even a single Transaction Outside the dates of your Statement which you have provided. For Example. If you provide a statement starting 1st jan, 2013 to 28th Jan, 2013. They do not have access to what is your balance on 29th Jan. If they Come to know about your balance on 29th Jan, Which you have never disclosed, BANK will be a in a Breach of data Confidentiality. YES we do have rights in this country like other citizens EXCEPT ACCESS to public Funds or Work in Dentist Profession/Dr.

Why the Funds have not been invested yet? This is my Money, Investment of my Money is my Stake. This does not or will not harm someone else, So i will invest the money when i will see a right time & need to invest the remaining money. Even a child will not spend his pocket Money in one Go. How come are u expecting from me to Invest the 50 K in one Go?????? Is there any RULE / Policy that i HAVE to invest the money in a go?????

You gave a perfect Answer to Why the funds are in India?

Guys When They threat you to curtail your Visa, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Be BOLD and say " Officer you got a full right to Investigate, so please go Get a Coffee, go to your office and spend a good time on your computer and investigate in a best way, so that i do not face a similar Investigation everytime i enter your country & please get me a Tea or Coffee as well. Thank You.

This Level of Confidence will automatically give him a signal that his harassment is not going to work at the moment.

HE CANNOT CANNOT CANNOT curtail your VISA.......... UNTIL you are in a serious breach of your Visa Conditions

I will say that he is tired of facing so many passengers, checking their passports, stamping their passports, questioning them ( Part of their training to give a unfriendly gesture just to show that they can be Tough or they are tough.

He will Pick any one for detailed Questioning, to get a bit of relieve from what he is doing, checking passports, stamping, questionning, etc...He just want to walk around, waste some of his time here and there and then back to his chair. and YES they also want to show to their seniors that they are Active and working, THATS IT.

My Experience: TRUE

I went to france ( paris ) for two days and One Night. Enjoyed my trip. Had train at 9:30pm. Presented my Passport to immigration @ 9:10 ( Officer should simply stamp it and at 2 min walk i can catch the train ). BUT because we have to FACE UK IMMIGRATION while you are Taking EXIT from France ( No Immigration check when you reach London train Station), So now he is gonna pick someone for his chill programme.

I have faced their questioning exactly 3 times prior to this situation ( I have taken 7 journeys to my home in last 5 years )

Officer: You should have Presented your passport by 9am.
Me: I am sorry, If i am late, But can i please see where have you mentioned this that passengers taking exit from France should present their passports to Immigration by 9am.

Officer: Look their it says, Boarding will close 30 min prior to Departure and its 9:10 and your train is at 9:30
ME: Alright, But you have just stamped that French speaking person's passports at 9:08. This boarding/immigration desk should have closed by 9:00 am with a sign board saying we are close & also what are you going to do with the long queue behind me ( about 15 of the remaining passengers for boarding.)

ANOTHER OFFICER INTERVENED: Took my passport from him, and SAID MR XYZ....Please come with me. ( at a two step distance ) he said to me that He need to Go through my passport for some investigation and i will have to wait for 5 minutes.

I kept waiting while he was in his office, I was literally sitting with the wall of his office, after 10 minutes, i had left just 5 minutes to catch the train to London. I knocked on the Wooden Wall of his office cabin, He came out.

Officer: Did you just knock
Me: YES, I did, I would miss my train if i did not step towards train in next minute.
Officer: MR XYZ, unfortunately you will not be able to catch this train and you will have to wait.

Me: Why, Whats the problem, havn't you finished checking my passport yet?
Officer did not reply and went back to his office,

I was in doubt that he never got into investigating my passport and he would have just kept my passport on his desk and chilling.
( My doubt was right, Read next please)
I knocked again and no reply. I was sure i have missed my train and wasted my Ticket ( 125 pounds return Ticket ).

He came out of his office with 4 officers and said to me that MR XYZ we have investigated and its alright, you can catch the train in the morning.

I was literally angry, I controlled my anger and spoke to him straight away, that You never used my passport for Investigation, You Just did not want me to catch this train because you did not like my questionning to your Mate sitting over there ( Who said to me that you are late for boarding )

You have wasted my Ticket and Your Office is going to buy me another ticket for next train. He Refused & walked away.

I found myself in a terrible situation, I walked behind him, till he was very very close to other passengers and said in loud voice, that you did not like me the way i deal with you mate on immigration desk, you never investigated my passport, You just wanted to take revenge on behalf of your colleague, Once i reach London, I am going to Write to METRO, BBC and other newspapers the way i have been dealth at the airport and You Should must get ready with your INVESTIGATION report which you have prepared after browsing my passport to defend my report to the authorities.

Believe me, He turned back, and went back to his office and said " Mr XYZ, keep this and give it to the ticket office which will open at 6am and they will issue you a ticket to your destination free of charge. At 7:00 we have next train for London.

I was in relief because i was only concerned with this at that moment that i do not want to spend money on ticket.

I waited all night long in close surrounding of the Gare Du Nord International Train Station. A French Student who was receptionist in a nearby hotel, Let me wait in his sitting area till morning as it was really really cold and boaring out there at train station.

at 6:00 i was at train station, went straight to the Ticket office and showed him the Paper from immigration and my expired ticket and he issued me a new return ticket without any charge. At 6:30 i Presented my passport to Immigration desk, This time being dealt by a lady, Who looked at my passport details

Lady Officer: Mr XYZ you were refused boarding last night,
Me: YES,
LAdy officer: Why?
I knew it, that she is going to react almost similar to what the Male officer did last night
Me: Officer, if you know that i was refused boarding last night, then you should know why i was refused boarding last night as your colleague spent 30 minutes to investigate my passport.
Lady Officer: Give me my passport back, and told me to wait aside and dealt with 10-15 more passengers next in que and told me to come with her, it was 6:50 almost and i knew it what is exactly going to happen which is i am not going by train at even 7:00 and this is another intentional delay.

Lady officer: Came out, She already at a another Return Ticket for 7:30 in her hand and I finally Took a train to London.

What i suffered, was i had to stay awake all night and had to reach job straight after reaching London ( But I took off early and finished work by 3pm)

Conclusion: They just want to cause delays, Want to show their authorities, Want to show they can be tough, or they are tough.

UNFORTUNATELY, There is nothing we can do, UNTILL we have Extremely Selfish, and Corrupt POLITICIANS in out country.

ONCE again, STAY CONFIDENT & BOLD because we ARE Contributing to their economy by paying taxes and NOT TAKING even a single Penny from them. and they should deal us accordingly,

Thank You.

Thanks Osman Sharing this. Yeah, this is exactly what happening and in most of circumstances they take advantages of our non-English speaking tongue.

pukhtoonyar

Post by pukhtoonyar » Fri May 02, 2014 11:04 am

heathrow airport is shit place to land try some other airports like Gatwick

BlackBirdSSG
Member of Standing

Post by BlackBirdSSG » Fri May 02, 2014 11:08 am

It's because Heathrow have interns working most of the time and they want to impress their bosses.

pukhtoonyar

Post by pukhtoonyar » Fri May 02, 2014 11:12 am

I faced twice the shit situation on Heathrow after that I m using Gatwick . and most shit people in Heathrow air port is Asian IO who think they are white British asking silly questions what u will do after ur visa expire its not there concern its my personal problem they facing worried about me

BlackBirdSSG
Member of Standing

Post by BlackBirdSSG » Fri May 02, 2014 11:14 am

Just tell them what they want to hear. "You will go back home"

entrepreneur123

Post by entrepreneur123 » Fri May 02, 2014 11:43 am

Just to add. One of my friend arrived on Heathrow airport. They have asked him very detailed questions about his business activities, invested amount, number of employees of company, registered office, etc Also they even asked him who paid his university fee and how he used to travel to his university. so be prepared for detail questions.

BlackBirdSSG
Member of Standing

Post by BlackBirdSSG » Fri May 02, 2014 11:57 am

Was that candidate on Tier 1 Entrepreneur or still on PSW?

entrepreneur123

Post by entrepreneur123 » Fri May 02, 2014 12:20 pm

Tier 1 Entrepreneur
BlackBirdSSG wrote:Was that candidate on Tier 1 Entrepreneur or still on PSW?

BlackBirdSSG
Member of Standing

Post by BlackBirdSSG » Fri May 02, 2014 1:08 pm

It's very strange that they would ask them these kinds of situation.

This can happen if (in the past) there were concerns raised on his immigration status when he was travelling. Immigration Officer may have put notes on his file and every time he passes UK immigration, they see that note and try to establish and corroborate things about his status in relation to his current status.

MTZ510
Member of Standing

Post by MTZ510 » Fri May 02, 2014 1:56 pm

Is there any reported case where immigration officer did not allowed the entry because he was not satisfied ?
Always help others..... it always come back to you.
Even if i know the answer ... i have this habit of confirming from others..

entrepreneur123

Post by entrepreneur123 » Fri May 02, 2014 2:28 pm

no he did not have any difficulty before. The officer was trying to link his business with his educational background. i know its strange, there is no point to ask these questions once you get visa....

BlackBirdSSG wrote:It's very strange that they would ask them these kinds of situation.

This can happen if (in the past) there were concerns raised on his immigration status when he was travelling. Immigration Officer may have put notes on his file and every time he passes UK immigration, they see that note and try to establish and corroborate things about his status in relation to his current status.

BlackBirdSSG
Member of Standing

Post by BlackBirdSSG » Fri May 02, 2014 5:32 pm

MTZ510 wrote:Is there any reported case where immigration officer did not allowed the entry because he was not satisfied ?
Many!

A lot of people do not know their rights when their status being curtailed, therefore are deported without going into court

MTZ510
Member of Standing

Post by MTZ510 » Fri May 02, 2014 5:49 pm

BlackBirdSSG wrote: Many!

A lot of people do not know their rights when their status being curtailed, therefore are deported without going into court
and what are their rights?
Always help others..... it always come back to you.
Even if i know the answer ... i have this habit of confirming from others..