ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

4-5 Years rule and Citizenship Issue

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Saloman
Newly Registered

4-5 Years rule and Citizenship Issue

Post by Saloman » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:16 pm

The purpose of changing the rule from 4 to 5 years for ILR according to HO is that migrant community is fully integrated in the society.In order to do so they also introduced Life in UK test.
Fair enough. This means that when you have ILR after 5 years, you are well integrated in the society and therefore you are eligible straight away for applying for a citizenship .However the rule says that you need to spend another 1 year after ILR to be eligible for applying for citizenship.
In all fairness HO should waive off requirement of 1 year after ILR and instead accept applications for citizenship immediately after ILR is granted.

I wonder any representation is made in this regards by anybody? if so please provide with more information.

Also if I am not wrong the European Union constitution grants citizenship to migrants after 5 years of legal stay.
I am not well versed with immigration issue but posted this to provoke interest and perhaps those active members on this forum who are well aware of the issue may take up this further.

If this topic is already discussed on the forum than my apology as I am not a regular visitor and might have missed it.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:24 pm

What exactly is your interest in this?
Do you have a permit that was impacted by this change?
The UK has opted out of some aspects of the EU policy so I don't know if this is one of the areas but since the Constitution hasn't been ratified, I am not sure the benefit of referring to it.

Lastly I made a comment similar to yours regarding why is it the UK has ILR and then 1 more year before citizenship where as most countries, you can get it starightaway after 5 years, (exclusing married folks who can get it after 3 years)

JAJ
Australia

Re: 4-5 Years rule and Citizenship Issue

Post by JAJ » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:36 pm

Saloman wrote:The purpose of changing the rule from 4 to 5 years for ILR according to HO is that migrant community is fully integrated in the society.In order to do so they also introduced Life in UK test.
Fair enough. This means that when you have ILR after 5 years, you are well integrated in the society and therefore you are eligible straight away for applying for a citizenship .However the rule says that you need to spend another 1 year after ILR to be eligible for applying for citizenship.
In all fairness HO should waive off requirement of 1 year after ILR and instead accept applications for citizenship immediately after ILR is granted.
But they are not going to, sorry. Bear in mind that not everyone has to wait 5 years for ILR.
I wonder any representation is made in this regards by anybody? if so please provide with more information.
Write to your MP?
Also if I am not wrong the European Union constitution grants citizenship to migrants after 5 years of legal stay.
You are wrong, sorry.

Saloman
Newly Registered

4-5 rules and citizenship

Post by Saloman » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:36 pm

Thank you for your response.

Personally my interest is to apply for a citizenship immediately after getting ILR in December when I will complete addional 1 year.

No I am not on work permit but Sole Representative though I was on work permit before that and cause I switched from work permit to Sole Rep (Overseas co.) I lost 3 and half years spent on work permit. I will now bw completing 5 years as Sole rep.I am in the country for the last 8 plus years.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:52 pm

Then apply with exceptional circumstances
but I don't think they are going to go for it

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:46 am

"Also if I am not wrong the European Union constitution grants citizenship to migrants after 5 years of legal stay. "

You are wrong, in that the EU constitution wasn't ratified, and the EU doesn't grant citizenship anyway. Sorry.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.