ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Wife SET(M) visa application and claiming Public Funds

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Ali1975

Wife SET(M) visa application and claiming Public Funds

Post by Ali1975 » Sat May 10, 2014 9:48 pm

Dear All, I recently got my ILR on the basis of 10 years long residency and now I am going to apply my wife SET(M) visa as she came here in April 2008 as my dependent.

My wife salary is 26K plus per annum and I just started my own business and my income is zero at this moment. After getting my ILR, I started claiming public funds and currently I am getting child benefit, Housing benefit and child and working tax credits. All these benefits are on my name and coming into my bank account.In SET(M) form, I have to declare all these public funds.

is claiming these public funds have any adverse effect on my wife's SET(M) application? please share your experiences and put some light on this.

Regards.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Wife SET(M) visa application and claiming Public Funds

Post by Casa » Sat May 10, 2014 11:57 pm

Child and working tax credit must be claimed in joint names, child benefit in your name only. Have you advised the issuing authorities that you need to be classed as a single person with a child for housing benefit?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun May 11, 2014 12:14 am

Moreover, has/did your spouse switch to FLR(M) before 6 April 2014? If not, she won't be able to apply for SET(M) until 2019 or perhaps SET(LR), 2018.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Ali1975

Post by Ali1975 » Sun May 11, 2014 2:12 pm

Amber & Casa, thank you for your quick replies Yes, all benefits are on my name and I provided copy of my wife visa to council for HB and council authorities told me that HB claim would not breach my wife visa condition.

and most important, I am very confused about SET(M) or FLR(M) before or after 6 April 2014. My cousin got ILR on 10 years long residency and he applied his wife visa direct on SET(M) after 6 April 2014 at PEO and got his wife ILR within 2 hours with out first converting to FLR(M).

I also consulted 2 well know immigration solicitors and both advised me to apply direct on SET(M) and my wife will get ILR and if my wife not get ILR, home office will give her 3 years discretionary leave and after that she can apply for ILR.

Please give me some advice what I can do in this situation?

Kind regards.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun May 11, 2014 2:16 pm

3 years DLR :shock: That solicitor is giving you very poor advice, since July 2012 DLR ceased.

You cannot apply for SET(M) without FLR(M)/spouse leave to enter, if a caseworker does so, they are making a mistake, although, one that benefits the applicant.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.