ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK immigration history - does it affect EEA applic?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Nemo30
Newly Registered

UK immigration history - does it affect EEA applic?

Post by Nemo30 » Sun May 11, 2014 8:28 pm

Will my bad UK immigration history affect me applying for a family permit visa to an EU country such as Ireland?

Has anyone had any experience of this?

As I overstayed in UK over 4 years and I was refused leave to remain so I returned to my home country and then applied for entry clearance and this has recently been refused due to my immigration history.

We would appreciate any advice

rosebead
Member of Standing

Re: UK immigration history - does it affect EEA applic?

Post by rosebead » Sun May 11, 2014 9:43 pm

No it won't be a problem. Overstaying is not a matter of public policy, public security or public health - and those are the only reasons you can legally be refused an entry visa as the family member of an EU citizen.

Nemo30
Newly Registered

Post by Nemo30 » Sun May 11, 2014 10:02 pm

Thank you so much for that information. We are unsure whether to appeal entry clearance refusal as the UKVI have used the immigration history against us even though they do not question our marriage and the financial criteria has been clearly met. It takes around 8-9months to lodge an appeal in which time we will be living apart from each other. So, moving to Ireland is certainly an option.

I know there will be a lot of people like us, facing this difficult situation.

rosebead
Member of Standing

Post by rosebead » Sun May 11, 2014 10:18 pm

It's inhumane keeping loved ones apart but unfortunately that is UK policy. However your immigration history will not affect your relocation to Ireland with your British spouse, plus in time you can return to the UK eventually using the Surinder Singh route, thereby bypassing the UK's domestic Immigration Rules.

Nemo30
Newly Registered

Post by Nemo30 » Sun May 11, 2014 10:34 pm

Yes it is inhumane with no respect for our family life. Your comments give us more hope :)

maxmelion

Post by maxmelion » Mon May 12, 2014 1:59 pm

Best one tell u is obie mohsen .
Nemo30 wrote:Yes it is inhumane with no respect for our family life. Your comments give us more hope :)

rosebead
Member of Standing

Post by rosebead » Mon May 12, 2014 4:48 pm

As I said, overstaying is not an issue of public policy, public health or public security, so the non-EU family members of EU citizens cannot be excluded from entering the UK. In the Home Office's own words:
8.3 Deportation orders made on other grounds

It may be the case that a person was previously deported on grounds OTHER THAN public policy or public security, at a time when he was neither an EEA national nor the family member of an EEA national, but he has since acquired a right of residence in the United Kingdom under EC law. Examples of reasons for deportation on NON public policy or NON public security grounds could include the following:-

• Overstaying

• Failure to observe a condition attached to the limited leave

• Obtaining leave to remain by deception

• Under section 3(5)(b) of the 1971 Act on the basis of being the family member of a person who was deported

It might also be the case that the person’s deportation was deemed to be conducive to the public good (section 3(5)(a) of the 1971 Act) but the considerations applied were not directly comparable to public policy or public security considerations under EC law.

It will be important to review the reasons for which the extant deportation order was originally made and enforced. Unless it was made on grounds of public policy or public security which still apply and which satisfy the terms of the Directive, the existing deportation order should be revoked (see paragraph 9).