ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship | confused with English requirement

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rachsach

Citizenship | confused with English requirement

Post by rachsach » Mon May 12, 2014 6:25 pm

Hello Guys,

I came to the UK on a dependant visa in 2009 and last year in June I obtained ILR. At the time of ILR I have given life in the UK test. In order to apply for British citizenship this year - do I need to give any other exam or life in the UK test certificate is enough?

I also have a bachelor’s degree in Arts from Delhi University. Do I need to get this certified by NARIC to fulfil the requirements of English?

Please advise.

Thanks
Romilla

milan69
Diamond Member

Re: Citizenship | confused with English requirement

Post by milan69 » Mon May 12, 2014 7:02 pm

You don't need to take Life in the UK test again. If you have the test number it would be handy.
I am sometimes wrong.

rachsach

Post by rachsach » Mon May 12, 2014 7:20 pm

milan69 wrote:You don't need to take Life in the UK test again. If you have the test number it would be handy.
I am sorry but this is not what my question is. I know I do not need to retake Life in the UK test.

I need to know if I need to give any further/additional exam in order to meet English requirment.

I have a bachelor's degree which I have entered in Points calucalator and it returned zero points.

I am concerned what are my options to satisfy English requirement.

I will appreciate if somoene can take time out to answer my query.

Thanks
Romi

akash08

Post by akash08 » Mon May 12, 2014 10:52 pm

Hi Romila

If point based calculator is not giving you any point, in all probability UK NARIC will not be able to certify your English language skill either. Both use the same data.

In that case yes, you have to take a recognised English test. It is upto you if you want to risk paying NARIC hoping they will be able to certify your degree but chances of success is slim.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue May 13, 2014 7:01 am

That's not true, 2 things you can do:

1. See if 20 or more points are awarded for qualification and 10 for English Skills on the PBS calculator, if so, a print out should suffice, if not:

2. A NARIC statement of comparability (if the degree is certified as being equivalent to a UK degree) and a letter from the institution stating the medium of instruction was English should suffice.

In addition to LIUK.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

rachsach

Post by rachsach » Tue May 13, 2014 9:05 am

Thanks guys for taking time to answer my query, much appreciated..

I have again used PBS calculator to see how many points I can get for my Bachelor’s degree, but it is coming up with zero points.

However, just to check if calculator allocates points for a master’s degree – I have used the same university with a master’s degree in the same stream and guess what it allots 35 points!

So bizarre - what Home Office calculator is displaying here is that anyone who has done a bachelor’s degree from Delhi University will get none points but someone who has done a master’s from the same university is eligible for 35 points and meets the criteria of English requirement.

Amber – please advise if it is worth getting my bachelor’s degree certified by NARIC? I can get a letter from the university confirming my degree was taught in English.

Thanks
Romilla

RockON

Post by RockON » Tue May 13, 2014 10:41 am

Romilla, I’m not sure what dates you are using for PBS calculator - Tier 1 initial application. I understand that you entered UK on dependent visa in 2009. If you try entering date for initial Tier 1 application any date after Apr 2010, it might award points for the bachelor’s degree. Note that prior to April 2010 point based calculator used to award zero point for bachelors degree. Not sure if this helps but worth trying. All the best
rachsach wrote:Thanks guys for taking time to answer my query, much appreciated..

I have again used PBS calculator to see how many points I can get for my Bachelor’s degree, but it is coming up with zero points.

However, just to check if calculator allocates points for a master’s degree – I have used the same university with a master’s degree in the same stream and guess what it allots 35 points!

So bizarre - what Home Office calculator is displaying here is that anyone who has done a bachelor’s degree from Delhi University will get none points but someone who has done a master’s from the same university is eligible for 35 points and meets the criteria of English requirement.

Amber – please advise if it is worth getting my bachelor’s degree certified by NARIC? I can get a letter from the university confirming my degree was taught in English.

Thanks
Romilla

rachsach

Post by rachsach » Tue May 13, 2014 11:10 am

Thank you RockON – that worked!! I entered in the PBS calculator that I came to this country after April 2010 and I was awarded with 30 points for bachelor degree.

So a quick question –do I need to include a copy of PBS calculator (showing 30 points for a degree plus 10 for English requirement) when I apply for citizenship?

If yes, my only concern is that PBS calculator ask to fill in other information as well like points for age, experience etc. which isn’t really needed for citizenship application. Do I just leave other fields blank and only enter my qualification and English requirement and take the printout to go with the application?

Thanks
Romilla

nm
Member of Standing

Post by nm » Mon May 19, 2014 2:57 pm

rachsach wrote:Thank you RockON – that worked!! I entered in the PBS calculator that I came to this country after April 2010 and I was awarded with 30 points for bachelor degree.

So a quick question –do I need to include a copy of PBS calculator (showing 30 points for a degree plus 10 for English requirement) when I apply for citizenship?

If yes, my only concern is that PBS calculator ask to fill in other information as well like points for age, experience etc. which isn’t really needed for citizenship application. Do I just leave other fields blank and only enter my qualification and English requirement and take the printout to go with the application?
Hi Romilla,

Could you let's know if you managed to submit your application and have they accepted the PBS point to support the english languagre requirement ? Appreciated your response.