ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Cash Savings for Spouse Visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Penny_78
Newly Registered

Cash Savings for Spouse Visa

Post by Penny_78 » Mon May 12, 2014 9:35 pm

Hi

If i intend to use cash savings to apply for a spouse visa what evidence do i need to show? Will 6 months bank statements be enough? Or will i also have to show where i got he £62500 from? Half of it will be from my own savings account the rest my parents are giving me. If i need to prove where i got the money from how would i do this?

Thanks

MPH80
Respected Guru

Re: Cash Savings for Spouse Visa

Post by MPH80 » Mon May 12, 2014 9:59 pm

You just need to show the money in your account for 6 months.

No need to show provenance.

M.

magicman316

Post by magicman316 » Mon May 12, 2014 10:00 pm

What you need to think about here is the Financial Requirement. This means that you earn enough to support your spouse when she comes, or earn enough to support her and any dependent children who accompany her.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 140324.pdf

You must look at the below document to find out which level of the financial requirement you need to meet depending on your individual circumstances to assess whether or not your visa application would be successful or refused based on what is considered as being adequate income.

To answer your question about savings, as you can use savings to help meet the financial requirement you need to show the previous 6 months worth of bank statements (origianls, or certified copies stamped by your local branch) or photocopies of your cash savings book (again certified by your bank or building society). What the UK Visas and Immigration want to see is that the cash has been held in the account for at least the last 6 months, that you are the sole account holder and that its not a shared account with anyone else. Also if you have put a large amount of money into the account randomly, i.e your family member gave you the money as a gift to help support you you will need to mention and explain this in your applicaton as if you don't explain it the home office will view it as being out of the ordinary and would definitely query you about it. So in other words if in the last few months your mum or anyone else has given you a lump sum, just get them to sign a typed out letter confirming this and explain on the application that this is the reason for the large deposit.

If you have any more questions just PM me or reply here, happy to help you further.
27/5/14 - Applied in Islamabad
12/06/14 - Decision Delayed (Further Enquiries)
13/06/14 - Email & Call from VAC to collect Passport
16/06/14 - Visa Granted!

SoHopeful

Post by SoHopeful » Tue May 13, 2014 10:05 am

It can be a joint account with the applicant.

Penny_78
Newly Registered

Post by Penny_78 » Tue May 13, 2014 2:10 pm

Many Thanks for your replies.

I do have another question regarding meeting the English test requirements. My fiancé has done his A1 and has a certificate but i believe these are only valid for 2 years. The certificate was issued July 2012, if we were to submit the application in June would the certificate be accepted or are we better off him sitting the test again?

magicman316

Post by magicman316 » Tue May 13, 2014 2:34 pm

The answer to this question isn't documented anywhere as far as I am aware but my understanding is that as long as the application date of your settlement visa falls within 2 years of the certificate's validity then you should not have any problems.

Can I just ask which test was taken and whether the applicatn's passport number is or is not visible on the actual test certificate?
16/06/14 - Visa Granted!

Penny_78
Newly Registered

Post by Penny_78 » Tue May 13, 2014 2:46 pm

The certificate just states his name its 'Entry level certificate in ESOL Skills for Life (speaking and Listening) (Entry Level 1). It also says it was issued in July 2012 and name of provider.

I don’t want to apply and be refused on this issue.

magicman316

Post by magicman316 » Tue May 13, 2014 3:42 pm

If its easy and quick to get another test done then I would recommend this. Otherwise as you rightfully say its not worth getting refused over. If you can go for a new test.
16/06/14 - Visa Granted!

Mas121
Newly Registered

Post by Mas121 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:27 pm

MPH80 wrote:You just need to show the money in your account for 6 months.

M.
Are you sure about that I have added 15k into my account
In the past month to bring my savings upto 40k
To combine with my salary will I have to provide
Evidence where this money come from some of it was
A gift from my parents some from selling my car and some from selling some gold i had the rest I've had for many years
So do I have to explain where the 15k come from

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:15 pm

Penny_78 wrote:Hi

If i intend to use cash savings to apply for a spouse visa what evidence do i need to show? Will 6 months bank statements be enough? Or will i also have to show where i got he £62500 from? Half of it will be from my own savings account the rest my parents are giving me. If i need to prove where i got the money from how would i do this?

Thanks
You only need to show you have held the 62500 for a period of 6 months.

62,500-16000=46500
46500/2.5=18600

That will amount to the 18600, provided you have held it for 6 months prior to application, in a bank.

You cannot put it today and apply tomorrow.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Mas121
Newly Registered

Post by Mas121 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:32 am

Mas121 wrote:

M.
Are you sure about that I have added 15k into my account
In the past month to bring my savings upto 40k
To combine with my salary will I have to provide
Evidence where this money come from some of it was
A gift from my parents some from selling my car and some from selling some gold i had the rest I've had for many years
So do I have to explain where the 15k come from

Penny_78
Newly Registered

Post by Penny_78 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:22 pm

Hi

I was hoping someone could help me with this question. I will be using cash savings to meet the financial requirements and will be providing 7 months banks statements - the final one will be within 28 days of application. Now is it only my bank statement that has to be within 28 days or do documents like accommodation report, mortgage statement, land registry have to be issued with 28 days off application?

Also the property I intend to live in once my husband get his visa is a house I bought 2 years ago but I live at home with my parents my bank statements will be at parents address but mortgage statement is for the property I intend to live in will this cause nay issues? I was going to show separate bank statements showing my paying mortgage and council tax for my house and provide a letter explaining why I don’t live in the house yet. Will that be enough?

SoHopeful

Post by SoHopeful » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:29 am

All documents need to be as recent as possible, but only financial documents need to be within 28 days.

uijnbh
Newly Registered

Post by uijnbh » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:10 pm

Hi. My wife is South African and I am British. We are looking at the Cash Savings route as a way to meet the Financial Requirement for a visa for her. Section 11 of Appendix FM SE says that:

"11A. In respect of cash savings:
(a) The savings may be held in any form of bank/savings account (whether a deposit or investment account), provided that the account allows the savings to be accessed immediately (with or without a penalty for withdrawing funds without notice)."

My reading is that a mortgage prepayment would also be classed as cash for this purpose. A mortgage prepayment is amounts paid over and above what is needed to cover the regular repayments on a home loan. My mortgage prepayment total is shown in my mortgage account, I get regular statements in my name and the full prepayment is under my control and available to me at any time. The mortgage is with a bank.

I would like to use this route because a mortgage prepayment is far and away the best interest rate I can get. But I would like to know if anyone has experience of how the Border Agency views this. It seems straightforward to me that it is just like a cash account, but I don't want to find out after six months that the decision maker sees it differently.

1. Does anyone have evidence of how the Border Agency have dealt with mortgage prepayments?
2. Is there a way to ask them for an opinion before lodging an application?

cadle
Newly Registered

Post by cadle » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:14 am

The truth about Spousal visa is if you want your spouse to live in the uk and you want to go down the savings route you need £62500 this money must be in your bank account in cash for 6 months minimum and you must PROVE where this money has come from....If you cannot prove this your application will fail for sure...

cadle
Newly Registered

Post by cadle » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:25 am

M.
Not true you must show evidence of where the money has come from...

nataliesun
Newly Registered

Post by nataliesun » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:17 am

Hi,
I am a South African married to a British citizen. We relied on the £62 500 cash savings for my visa to join him in the UK. On applicaton date we had more than that. We have submitted the application on the 12th June 2015 and went for the Biometrics on the 25th of June 2015. What will happen if we drop into the savings while the decision is in the process of being made?

YANIYAN123
Newly Registered

Post by YANIYAN123 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:39 am

Hi all,
Hope every one is well.
Im new to this forum and have 1 question, if someone can kindly help me regarding cash saving for spouse visa.
I have over the limit of £62,500 for over 6 months, However in the UK I have this amount divided in 2 bank accounts (current account & saving accounts).
My question does all the £62,500 need to be in 1 account or cannot it be in 2 separate accounts.
Any help will be highly appreciated.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:41 am

Separate accounts are fine as long as the savings are instantly accessible.
Edit: Please don't post in multiple threads, it's time-consuming and confusing. You've been answered twice now!
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Beena

Post by Beena » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:25 am

Hi,

I'm hoping to apply in the next few months inshallah and had a quick question regarding cash savings.

It will be my 3rd application.

With regards to my job I earn just over 13k therefore I'm aware that I need approximately 30k savings (can't remember exact figure) I have 34200 in savings. My sister gifted my 5000 a few months ago, as I had a baby and she wanted to gift me and baby. The only issue I have is, my son was about 8 months old when she gifted the money.. does that matter? How can I prove that the gift is legit and not just for visa purposes? Can i be refused on this matter? The only reason she gifted me late was because she wanted to give me the money when I really needed it.

What are the documents that I will need to include to ensure that the eco is satisfied?

Thank you in advance

Beena

Post by Beena » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:27 am

Casa wrote:Separate accounts are fine as long as the savings are instantly accessible.
Edit: Please don't post in multiple threads, it's time-consuming and confusing. You've been answered twice now!

I understand this thread is old, therefore I'm tagging you in the hope that you get a notification and that you can help!
Appealed-29/09/15
Deadline-10/02/16
review unsuccesful
Hearing-30/11/16

Decision withdrawn before hearing

HOPO notice-17/11/16
Judge's notice-24/11/16
Call in letter/IHS paid-1/12/16
Pp submitted-9/12/16

Collected-15/12/16 Alhamdulillah

SAMISPOUSAL
India

Post by SAMISPOUSAL » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:52 pm

magicman316 wrote:The answer to this question isn't documented anywhere as far as I am aware but my understanding is that as long as the application date of your settlement visa falls within 2 years of the certificate's validity then you should not have any problems.

Can I just ask which test was taken and whether the applicatn's passport number is or is not visible on the actual test certificate?

Please beware The test has to be from a centre that is approved... My wife has a TRINITY college certificate from the Leicester university and that centre is NO LONGER approved. Rules and approved test centres change.

G L
British man sponsoring Indian wife.Application Pune --Mumbai 18 DEC 2013 Requested further info 27 01 2014

John Green

Post by John Green » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:16 pm

On the A1 test, I recently asked Trinity College and they said my wife's pass certificate is only valid for two years. So she would have to resit (and pay for) the exam if it's not used within 2 years. I expect the same rules apply to other examining boards re the A1 test.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:25 pm

John Green wrote:On the A1 test, I recently asked Trinity College and they said my wife's pass certificate is only valid for two years. So she would have to resit (and pay for) the exam if it's not used within 2 years. I expect the same rules apply to other examining boards re the A1 test.
And from October this year, the requirement is English A2 so anyone applying for a visa or extending their visa after this date will need the new A2 test anyway.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

John Green

Post by John Green » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:38 pm

Yes, agreed. She was over here on a visitor visa and after she took the A1 test, she had a free ESOL assessment done in Manchester. This is for her (hopefully) getting the spouse visa and then having to take A2 later down the line. She was told that she was not yet quite up to the A2 standard, but of course if she paid the college to improve her language skills, there was nothing to worry about. The college is accredited. (Some things never change, right (LOL))

The A2 test is required for FLR but not for the spouse visa, from October, I believe.