ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

3 quick questions regarding references, please help, thanks

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Wakeuphappy

3 quick questions regarding references, please help, thanks

Post by Wakeuphappy » Tue May 13, 2014 12:00 pm

1. How do they check if the reference has a profession on the list? For example if I have a friend who is an engineer but not a chartered engineer and I put down his/her name as a reference, then how will home office know if she/he is chartered? Do I have to provide extra evidence? Or are they going to contact every single institution to confirm it?
2. How will home office know if the references have known the applicant for more than 3 years? If I put down someone I know for 2 years and 10 months (I will probably round it up to three). Is it going to be a problem? Will they accuse me of being lying? How will they find out how long we have known each other?
3. Do they usually contact the references?
I never committed any crime or breached the immigration law.

Many thanks,

phospholipid

Re: 3 quick questions regarding references, please help, tha

Post by phospholipid » Tue May 13, 2014 1:07 pm

Wakeuphappy wrote:1. How do they check if the reference has a profession on the list? For example if I have a friend who is an engineer but not a chartered engineer and I put down his/her name as a reference, then how will home office know if she/he is chartered? Do I have to provide extra evidence? Or are they going to contact every single institution to confirm it? They do a background check on the referee I believe.
2. How will home office know if the references have known the applicant for more than 3 years? If I put down someone I know for 2 years and 10 months (I will probably round it up to three). Is it going to be a problem? Will they accuse me of being lying? How will they find out how long we have known each other? They don't know, but they might contact them and ask them how long they've known you - this is the only way they will know, so if the referee says 2 years and 10 months then your application will get rejected.
3. Do they usually contact the references? No, not usually - but they can.

Many thanks,
If they are not happy with referee for whatever reason they will ask you to provide another.

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Tue May 13, 2014 4:11 pm

They rarely contact referees and when they do it is usually in written form.
I guess they will contact them if they suspect something or want additional information but if they do I don't think anyone can guarantee you that HO will not ask questions that you mentioned above.
As I said it happens rarely.
I am sometimes wrong.

shahid2000
Member of Standing

Post by shahid2000 » Tue May 13, 2014 4:29 pm

If you know someone for 2 years and 10 months and you use them as referee for 3 years then technically you would be lying. You are signing a legal declaraion and doing this can have horrible consequences. It can be counted as deception. I would never recommend anyone to do anything like that. You would be better off to wait another 2 months or get another referee.

akash08

Post by akash08 » Tue May 13, 2014 6:49 pm

Wakeuphappy wrote:1. How do they check if the reference has a profession on the list? For example if I have a friend who is an engineer but not a chartered engineer and I put down his/her name as a reference, then how will home office know if she/he is chartered? Do I have to provide extra evidence? Or are they going to contact every single institution to confirm it?
2. How will home office know if the references have known the applicant for more than 3 years? If I put down someone I know for 2 years and 10 months (I will probably round it up to three). Is it going to be a problem? Will they accuse me of being lying? How will they find out how long we have known each other?
3. Do they usually contact the references?

Many thanks,
Mate, I can only say that you are spending nitghs over completely irrelevant things!!

If your referee is an engineer, just go ahead with it.. he does not need to be chartered engineer for being a referee.

If the guys knows you only for 2 year+, write 3 years.. just tell the guy if he gets a query he tells it is 3 years.. Just be sure it must be technically possible for this guy to know you for 3+ years.. it can not be that he has come to this country for one year only and your home counries are different and so no way he can know you for 3 years etc..

They may contact the referee, the answers to their questions do not change depending on the referee's profession or whether he knows you for 2 year 10 months or 3 years.. right??

Please take my suggestion, just go ahead with it.. Never ever I have heard a naturalisation rejection because of referee issue and yes make sure the referee is not a criminal etc. or have unspent conviction.. then surely you will be refused.. everything else is fine!!

Wakeuphappy

Post by Wakeuphappy » Wed May 14, 2014 9:22 am

Thank you so much for the help :) i feel less worried now.